Health Discovery Network
itsjustme

Why does this happen?

Anyone have an idea why my feet and toes get numb when I'm on the elliptical? They don't do that when I'm walking or jogging - just on the elliptical. I thought it might be my shoes, but it seems strange that I ONLY notice the problem on the elliptical. I even tried doing it without shoes to test my theory and they still went numb after 5 minutes. What am I doing wrong?

~ Pam ~

homeschooling mom to 3 girls

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

weight.png

It might be the placement of your feet. You know the way you hold them. When you walk, they have a natural tendecy to go one way or the other, on the machine you have to place them in/on the paddle like things. Maybe they are 'cocked' in an off way.

Just a thought.

Lesa

HW: 297/ RESTART: 207.8/ CW: 205.6 / WWG: 146

10/18/2011: RESTART

:bcb_mad:*RNT is not an excuse.....it is a challenge!

LTtransformation.jpg

Wow - that's a strange one! I have no idea why that's happening. But I have a similar problem when I ride my bike - my hands go numb! What's up with that?

Heidi

SW: 244.8

CW: 239.4

Heidi, the hands one is simple -- when you're leaning down on the handle bars, you're partially cutting off circulation in your hands. I use riding gloves with padded palms and that helps.

As for the feet, can't answer that one ...

Pat

Pat - I do wear padded cycling gloves - but it's still pretty bad. Any additional ideas? I have carpel tunnel - I bet that's related, eh?

Heidi

SW: 244.8

CW: 239.4

Pat - I do wear padded cycling gloves - but it's still pretty bad. Any additional ideas? I have carpel tunnel - I bet that's related, eh?

I think it is the carpel tunnel. Before I had surgery for carpel tunnel in both my wrists (not at the same time) my hands were get numb with driving the car, holding my hair brush etc.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Its nothing to be alarmed about, I have the same problem and asked my Dr. about it. She said it was from being in one position for a spand and its like when your feet fall asleep when they are under you, something like that. She said while on the machine every now and then lift your foot a little and wiggle it this will send better blood flow to the feet and it should wake up the foot so to say. Hope this helps, I rememeber when this happened to me I thought the worse only to find out its very common.

t-253459449.jpgBut So Worth It!

Visit my site for motivation and friends that use W.W. to be the Biggest Loser!

http://fitsisters.spaces.live.com

s.w.=260lbs

rejoined W.W. 6/26/07 190.5 lb

c.w.=185 lbs

g.w.=130 lbs

Thanks guys! I will try changing my stance and wigging my feet around a bit and hopefully that will help.

BTW, my hands go numb all the time too - dr said its related to my carpal tunnel.

~ Pam ~

homeschooling mom to 3 girls

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

weight.png

Sometimes when I am on the elliptical my toes get pushed up against the front of the pedals (or whatever the place you stand is called), or in the case of one pair of shoes, the motion pushes my toes to front, effectively squashing them and making my feet numb. I move my feet around and back them on on the pedal to prevent it from happening.

Lacey

weight.png

Happened to me too! At first I tried loosening my shoe laces when on the eliptical and that seemed to help. Then I bought a pair of wide width shoes and it hasn't happened since. I bet its a combination of things. Like maybe in my new shoes I stand differently as well as being more comfy.

*Samira*

weight.png

HW: 227

New Starting Weight: 203.4

CW: 206