Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zurichnee

need help with sweet and sour meatball recipe...

Guest Zurichnee

Hi,

I have a yummy recipe my aunt gave me for meatballs and I'm wondering if someone has master cook if they could run it thru to find out how many points it would be? I don't know how many meatballs it makes...but if I had a total for the whole recipe I could figure out the rest when I make them up? I'd appreciate any help. I could probably do this myself but I'm terribel at trying to figure out points for ground beef...I think I mess it up everytime....

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

2 lb. lean ground beef

1/4 cup skim milk

1/2 cup rolled oats

1 egg

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 onion, chopped fine

Sauce

1 1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup vinegar

14 oz can pineapple tidbits and juice

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 cup ketchup

1/2 cup chopped green and/or red pepper

Make meatballs and place on a cookie sheet and bake for a half hour at 350 degrees.

Place in a 2 quart casserole. Mix sauce and pour over. Bake in uncovered dish for 1 hour. Baste occasionally. Serves 10 - 12

This probably isn't point friendly, but it would help to know the points anywya...even if it means I can only have a couple.

Thanks so much!!

Kim

Guest judyo53

Kim,

I don't have Mastercook & it would probably take me 30 min. or more to search each item on my nutrition thingy & figure it out myself. But it wouldn't be too bad if you purchased the leanest ground beef available & drained the meatballs very well after they're cooked. (If they weren't being made into meatballs you could have rinsed & drained the beef).

You could substitute real brown sugar for brown sugar Sugar Twin or similar & make sure the pineapple isn't in heavy syrup.

Plus, the fact that it's 10-12 servings, one serving probably wouldn't be too bad. Hope someone with MC can help you with exact points.

Guest imported_Kelly_S

If someone doesn't get to you earlier than when I get home I'll do it for you. However you may want to repost down at Granny's Kitchen as they do this a lot down there.

Hi. You said it serves 10-12. I ran it through Mastercook at 12 servings and it came to 8 points per serving (336 calories, 16 grams fat, 1 gram fiber per serving).

:wave: Jerri* * * * * * * * * * * * *

209.2/209.2/140 5'4"

Guest Zurichnee

8 points per serving! Wow that is more than I figured on, but then again, I'm not sure how many meatballs that actually is. Maybe I'll multiply the nut. info by 12 for a large total and divide that by the number of meatballs I actually get?

Thanks for figuring it out.

Judy...the pineapple is in it's own juice and I can't get brown sugar twin in my town, but maybe I could get away with 1 cup of brown sugar instead of 1 1/2. Hmm...

Thanks for the tip on posting in Granny's Kitchen...I'll do that too, just in case there are any other tips and suggestions, and I'll remember that for future questions.

Thanks,

Kim

Kim...

I ran it through again assuming you made 25 meatballs out of it, still using the pineapple in it's own juice and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar. They come to 4 points per meatball (161 calories, 8 grams fat, and 1 gram fiber).

If you make 25 meatballs using 1/4 cup of Eggbeater instead of the egg, and 1 cup of brown sugar instead of 1 1/2 cups they come to 3 points per meatball (149 calories, 8 grams fat, and 1 gram fiber).

:wave: Jerri* * * * * * * * * * * * *

209.2/209.2/140 5'4"

Guest Zurichnee

Thanks so much for figuring this out for me. I made them up today and got 50 meatballs which works out to about 4 meatballs per person. 7 pts for 4 meatballs (1 inch diameter before cooking) seems a bit much to me. I do have the points for it, but then I'm done. No dessert or snack tonight and the only drink is water I guess. , Maybe I'll just cook a boca burger, cut it up and use a tad of the sauce...hmm

I appreciate your help folks!

Kim

Guest imported_Kelly_S

FYI I put into my Mastercook utilizing 96% lean ground beef or sirloin (item I added to my database) and 1/4 cup Egg Beaters for the egg and got:

10 servings = 294.4 cal/3.3 fat/1.5 fiber = 6 points

12 servings = 245.3 cal/2.7 fat/1.2 fiber = 5 points

[ April 16, 2004, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Kelly_S ]