Health Discovery Network
bethel

A tool to help when you're off-track

How long does it take you to get back "on track" after going off program?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. How long does it take you to get back "on track" after going off program?

• Immediately - I record the points and get on-program the next meal.
    • I get back on-program the next day.
    • I get back on program after my next WW meeting.
    • I throw in the towel of months and need to re-join WW.

I could say, "Get right back on program with the next bite," however this is my personal struggle. When I am OP, I never have a slip. I am compulsive and follow the program religiously.

That being said, I have fallen off the wagon many times in the past but can honestly say, I am usually in such denial when it happens that I pretty much reach the point of no return for quite some time. Therefore I regain significant weight before reigning myself in.

I know the answer lies in "lifestyle change". This is my holy grail.

To those who would actually go below target points the day after a slip, I would second CW's post. Don't do it. This is a lifestyle eating plan. Break the cycle of slip~>guilt~>punishment.

Our goals are only a decision away. cw:122

I could say, "Get right back on program with the next bite," however this is my personal struggle. When I am OP, I never have a slip. I am compulsive and follow the program religiously.

That being said, I have fallen off the wagon many times in the past but can honestly say, I am usually in such denial when it happens that I pretty much reach the point of no return for quite some time. Therefore I regain significant weight before reigning myself in.

I know the answer lies in "lifestyle change". This is my holy grail.

To those who would actually go below target points the day after a slip, I would second CW's post. Don't do it. This is a lifestyle eating plan. Break the cycle of slip~>guilt~>punishment.

"That being said, I have fallen off the wagon many times in the past but can honestly say, I am usually in such denial when it happens that I pretty much reach the point of no return for quite some time. Therefore I regain significant weight before reigning myself in."

You have put in a few words what has happened to me, and I am sure to many others, so many times. What I can't figure out is WHY, HOW can I get in such denial that I will allow that to happen, after working so diligently for so long to lose the weight??? I have been below my WW goal now for over a year, but am still afraid that I will somehow slip into that denial state again!

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

"That being said, I have fallen off the wagon many times in the past but can honestly say, I am usually in such denial when it happens that I pretty much reach the point of no return for quite some time. Therefore I regain significant weight before reigning myself in."

You have put in a few words what has happened to me, and I am sure to many others, so many times. What I can't figure out is WHY, HOW can I get in such denial that I will allow that to happen, after working so diligently for so long to lose the weight??? I have been below my WW goal now for over a year, but am still afraid that I will somehow slip into that denial state again!

What Helps Me Avoid Denial:

• regular weigh ins
  • Having a Line In The Sand Number that tells me I'm in danger when I step on the scales
  • Noticing how my clothes fit
  • Staying honest with my eating. (journaling, mental journaling, keeping my trigger foods away, using some of my Flex points for splurgy foods, remembering the Healthy Eight)
  • Exercising

Accountability is denial's enemy. I'm not honest enough to stay accountable to myself...One bite won't hurt. You deserve that food, you've exercised so hard. You've been at goal, you know how to do this...denial voices mess with my head! I stay accountable to BCB and to my sister. Knowing that I have to report in helps keep me out of denial and helps me ignore destructive thoughts.

All or nothing doesn't work for me. I am not always perfect, but I'm a quick learner. :bcb_bigsm I learn from my WW mistakes. I register the trouble, I analyze what went wrong, and I do my best not to do that again. Sometimes, I've failed the same test two or three times! But I keep going and I improve. Usually the next failure isn't as drastic as the first round.

Another thing I've learned is not to demand perfection from myself. This lifestyle change takes practice and time. When I demand perfection, I get discouraged and really want to throw in the towel. I say, 'forget this! I'll never get it right!' When I'm kinder to myself and say, 'Okay, you didn't handle that well. What went wrong? What can you do better next time?' I give myself hope and a plan to carry on. Sometimes I'll even say to myself, 'You didn't accomplish what you planned, but what did you do right?' A C in exercise isn't an A, but it's better than an F.

Lastly, I concentrate on a week by week basis. I always have a brand new week to get it right or to do this better. Thinking short term keeps me focused. I can do anything for seven days. Or if the week hasn't been a particularly good one, then seven days isn't so long to get through and I'll soon have a new week in my favor. It's probably a mental thing--hitting a seven day reset button, but it works for me. YMMV :salut Best wishes!

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

THANK YOU Mrss - that is a great post, and I'm going to print it out. I am doing pretty much the things you outline - and I definitely agree to the "one week at a time" suggestions. I know how many points I can have in a week, I reset every Monday morning - and Track religiously.

I just wish I thought there would come a time when I could stay at my present weight and not even have to think about it! I guess that is not to be :)

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

MRS S...I get it. I get everything you wrote. I agree with it too. Right now at this moment I agree with it. When I'm OP, I am OP.

It's when I get to that point...whenever it is and for whatever reason it is, that I lose all reason. I'm not sure what the answer is for me, other than seeking the ever elusive lifestyle change. I wish I could internalize all of this and make it a part of me, so that it doesn't sneak up on me. (When I say "sneak", I don't mean it overtakes me without me knowing, I mean it overtakes me while all along, I am living happily...or not, in denial.) I know this might be getting deep, and believe me...it can go deeper. I think I am just scratching the surface.

Here is my plan...while I am with it, right now (in the here and now), I am making a study of weight loss, metabolism, exercise, nutrition and my own psychology. Hopefully when I get to whatever point that is (see above), I will be armed and dangerous! Ready to kick its butt and move forward, instead of getting behind once again.

Thanks for listening and for giving your wise input.

Thank you, thank you, MrsS! I took the liberty of printing out your response (and personalizing it to my situation regarding an accountability partner). I LOVE the line "Accountability is denial's enemy."

I've always been a "black and white" person - either perfection or total failure thinking. Your analogy with grades ("A C in exercise isn't an A but it's better than an F.") gave me another mental tool to use in overcoming this destructive thinking.

I've been a WW member for 1-1/2 years and have lost significant weight (physical and mental) and have made many lifestyle changes - but yesterday was a "throwback" day for me - had a mega-eating binge.

In the past I would have beaten myself up, thrown in the towel and given up in despair. However, today I thought about the wise choices I had made that day (good food choices for 3 meals and snacks, journaling, getting in my exercise) and decided that the day was NOT a complete failure. I also took time to think about what happened and decided that (for me) the combination of being alone in the house, being slightly bored, and being tired is a BAD combination for me: the food was calling and I knew I wasn't hungry.

So.. next time that happens, I will choose to (1) get out of the house or call someone, (2) find something fun to do, or (3) take a nap or go to bed.

I appreciate all the collective wisdom here on this board - blessings to you all!

SW: 224 lbs

CW: 162 lbs :bcb_march

GW: 145 lbs

Goodbye 220's...210's...200's...190's...180's...170's...

What I love about your idea is that it puts the responsibility directly where it belongs - on us!

We are the captains of our journey and we decide the direction (and misdirection) we take!

I'm going to try this next time I falter! Thanks!

Joyce

Your body keeps a meticulous journal even if you don't!

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

I had a terrible two days, just real emotional stuff, plus was sick both from getting the flu and from coming off of some medication I had a negative side effect from (particularly weight gain and craving). I just gave up, wasn't thinking straight. Today, I like someone else, know weight watchers just is sane for me.

For me, I think its a good idea to log the points of a "binge" (or whatever you would call it) but for me I would try to make up for it (like the last two days) and then that would set me up to eat lower points than I should have. I can see that this would be self defeating. So I am just starting my week over today. I thought this was a particularly good thread for where I am today. Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Niadance, that's a great way to look at it. I have many friends who do not have a weight problem. They have days where they eat more than normal. The difference is that the next day, they go back to normal eating. No self-punishment involved. Good luck to you!

Guest sandcrab785

Thanks for starting this. I was on vacation last week and ate things I normally would not eat. I did not journal everything and was really stressed about WI this week. I did not gain or lose this week which was OK. I try to get back OP the next meal or at least by the next day and I try to journal all the points even the ones that I cringe when I look back at least then I know what my mistakes were and how to avoid them. You're right it is a journey. Thanks for the great analogy.:bcb_march

self punishment is a really interesting concept. the past week and a half i have been eating like crazy, not keeping up with it and once i start i can't stop.

someone mentioned on another thread how once they go off program it just snowballs from there because they feel guilty about having messed up so they just keep doing it.

i think that is true for me, too. once i screw up once, i continue to punish myself for it. i am going to keep this thread in mind and look back at it when i am having one of those days/weeks/months.

i have also noticed that the more i hang out on these boards, the better i do. the past few weeks i have felt too busy to keep up with the boards, and i have royally screwed up. in the past day or two, i have come back to the boards, and i already feel better and more positive and motivated to get back on track

(ME) SW: 158.2; CW: 158.2; Goal: 140

(DH) SW: 248.4; CW: 248.4; Goal: 220

Thought I would bump this up for me as well as those who are struggling to get their act back in swing after the holidays.

Hope it helps.

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

This thread is really helpful to me.

Great images and tactics to deal with the difficult days.

Grace

:kickbutt:

Back to WW for Good 8/6/2010

What wisdom in this thread!:salut:salut

Bethel, when I get turned around on a trip, I beat myself up the whole way back in the right direction.....hmmmmmm. And your post started me thinking that maybe I sometimes deliberately take a wrong/risky turn "just because," like Cartman, "I do what I want!" I figure it's exciting and I can always find my way back. However, another part of me hates covering the same ground twice...I believe that's the practical grown-up Katie, and the other is "little Katie."

I do believe grown-up Katie needs to take over.

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Guest tinka

I struggle with binging. I can go for months without doing it and then I have a few days in a row and it scares me.

I have heard this little story. When you get a carton of eggs out of the frig and drop one egg, do you then throw the rest of the eggs on the floor too?

No!

You pick up the mess ASAP and move on.

BCB has been the place that I can be honest and held accountable for what I do.

Tinka