Health Discovery Network
kittynala

Brown Sugar question

OK, this is for all you bakers out there.

I've seen some recipes for low point cookies in the past that have called for dark brown sugar.

What's the difference between that and regular brown sugar. I thought maybe dark brown sugar had less calories, but I looked at the two at the store the other day and they have the exact same calories, ect.

What's the reason for using dark brown sugar?

Guest tinka

I think it has more of a molasses flavor. I am pretty sure you can use the light brown sugar instead.

Tinka

flavor and moisture content are the main differences. If the recipe calls for brown sugar, use it, it'll turn out much better!

Nikki

SW: 183 (1/8/06)

CW:145

WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)

next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

Dark brown sugar is darker in color and has more flavor than light brown sugar.

If a recipe calls for brown sugar, you can usually use either but don't use white sugar.

If you can, get pure cane sugar. Some "brown sugar" is made by mixing white sugar and molasses, and that is junk that doesn't taste as good as the real thing. Check the ingredients.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

nancyny, I'm shocked. I haven't bought brown sugar in 25 years! It got dry, hard, never use it up and eventually threw it out. I read on the label of Grandma's Molasses, a long time ago to mix 2T of molasses with a half cup of sugar to get 1/2 cup dark brown sugar. I never even measure anymore. I figure I've saved $$$ over the years not buying dark or light brown sugar. I never thought it was junk! Is there really a difference? It just seemed so simple logical and cost effective to do it my way! :bcb_confu

~Nancy in SJ

HW 152

CW 144

GW 138

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

www.englishsetterrescue.org

You can put a little clay "sugar saver" in with your brown sugar and it'll stay soft and good for a long time. And you can revive brown sugar by putting a slice of apple in the container and microwaving it for a bit--check in 30 second increments. You're just rehydrating it.

Nikki

SW: 183 (1/8/06)

CW:145

WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)

next minigoal: Get back into the 130s