Health Discovery Network
hollyn

Exercise question...

I took a step aerobics class today. It was 1 hour long. The last 20 min was 10 min ab work (difficult!) followed by 10 min of cool down & stretching etc.

Would you enter it as 40 min step class, 50 min step class or 60 min step class? (4pts, 5pts or 6 pts). I would've entered 40 min... just wondering what's the correct way.

On my regular work outs, I don't enter the time I use for cool down, only the time I've used for acutal work out

Holly

Mom of 4

Start Date September 3, 2007

Lost 3.5 pounds!

weight.png

GW 118

I would've counted it like you did. :bcb_up

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

I'd go home, figure the APs using my PointsBooster, and lie to the tool so it gives me however many APs I think I should get.

Figuring from the weight in your sig. that's 4 or 5 APs, whichever you think is right. You get 3 APs for 60 min. moderate and 6 AP for 60 min. high. I always calculate the whole workout. I figure APs for "moderate" and "high" and pick a number in the middle to account for varying intensities. I have too many workouts where the "cool down" doubles as something else, (say some weight training or balance / core work), or that do moderate/high intervals, and I don't like to pay too much attention to the clock in the middle of a workout, so I don't dissect them.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

I agree with Nancy, actually. I mean, why WOULDN'T you "count" the 20 min. you spent doing abs and stretching? I definitely sweat and pant when doing ab work, so I count it as at least "moderate," even if my heart rate isn't as high as during the step portion. REmember that WW designed the PointsBooster on the conservative side (about 1 AP for roughly 100 calories burned). But FOOD points average between 50 and 70 calories. So even if you err on the high side of APs (by, say, one or two APs), you will STILL be OK, as far as your overall calorie deficit.

Here's what I mean. Let's say you can't decide whether you earned 4 or 5 APs. If you go with 4 APs, that means you can eat 4 Food Points, which will be between 200 and 280 calories extra. If you count 5 APs, your equivalent food points will net you between 250 and 350 calories. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you goofed (which you will never know for sure, by the way, since you aren't exercising in a lab with scientists measuring your oxygen uptake and CO2 output during your workout).

So you count 5 APs, but really only burned 4 during your workout. That means you "overate" by a range of 50 to 70 calories. This is NOT going to make or break your diet for the day. See what I mean?

It's when we overeat by 500 (or 700) calories a day that the problems arise!And, if you exercise as a lifestyle, you will be off by an AP or two sometimes, maybe often, but you are as likely to UNDERESTIMATE your effort as you are to overestimate, so over time it evens out.

I hope this helps. And keep up the good work!

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

I like Nancy's answer. Just lie so you can come up with the number you want! :bcb_grin

But, seriously, good advice given. I would count all the time I was in the class.

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg