Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Jen..

Runners Please Help!

Hi there,

I've been running pretty regularly and for a couple of months, for 29 min every day. Recently, I've been having this nagging pain at the bottom of my foot, in the middle of fleshy part near my heel.. does anyone have this problem before?? It's quite painful at times, and I've been put off running for about 2 weeks.. only to get back slowly..

Would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Jen..<br /><br />ACTION - He who starts a journey of a thousand miles begins with ONE STEP...

Ouch, sounds like a heel spur. I had one about a year ago and it lasted for a couple of months.the pain was expecially bad after waking in the morning and if I sat for any period of time.

The thing that really helped me was stretching my calfs properly(yes I know it sounds weird because it's your foot that hurts) before and after exercising. My Doc told me the muscle causing the pain extended down my leg and under the foot. Heel cups may also provide some relief. They are available at most pharmacies and stores like Walmart.

You may want to look around on the net for the type of exercises, and the proper techniques for the exercises, that ease the pain and fascilitate healing. Suggestion... "heel spur exercises" typed into a search engine such as google.

Good luck buddy, I feel your pain ugh.gif

Sheryl

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives"...Annie Dillard<br /><br />190/141/143.5/135<br />sw/wwg/cw/pg 5'3"<br /><br />SD 9-17-02/LT 7-22-03

this totally sounds like heal spurs which are an inflammation of the tendons there. You need to back off of the running and ice your foot to reduce the inflammation and maybe see your Dr. You probably need to get a really good pair of "running" shoes and this makes all the difference in the world. I had heel spurs for about 3-4 months and they were horrible. I backed off of the exercise intensity and bought a really good pair of shoes and I no longer have the problem. If you don't take care of this it can lead to the poing where you need to take cortisone injections to help with the inflammation so maybe go and see your Dr. and don't push too hard.

Shayla Girvan<br />HW/SW/CW/GW<br />327/286/280/165<br /><br /><a

Hi Jen wave.gif , Found this site while doing a search. Has loads of info on plantar fasciatis(heel spurs).

http://heelspurs.com/index.html

Hope you find relief soon.

Shery

[ April 14, 2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: BEARS ]

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives"...Annie Dillard<br /><br />190/141/143.5/135<br />sw/wwg/cw/pg 5'3"<br /><br />SD 9-17-02/LT 7-22-03

Guest girlinmotion

Yep, I've been warned about these too. To heal them you need rest and ice, stay off your feet for a while. If you need exercise, try a mat workout, a rowing machine might be OK, swimming, aquafit etc.

To prevent plantar fascitis from re-occuring, you need better cushioning and support in your shoes. Go to a running specialty store that will assess your foot motion, and tell them about the problem. Replace your running shoes often, there is more info on how often at coolrunning.com

You may need extra insert cushioning in the heel. Also, evaluate your everyday non-workout footwear. Is it good quality, does it cushion against impact when you are walking around?

My chiropractor advises people to wear decent shoes all the time, especially when walking (housework and the mall etc). He thinks wandering around in bare/sock feet isn't that great. He says people with foot/knee problems can really benefit from wearing supportive but cushy shoes around the house.Not that I love the sneakers and jeans look myself...but it might be worth it!

Guest Babe Ruthless
Originally posted by BEARS:

The thing that really helped me was stretching my calfs properly(yes I know it sounds weird because it's your foot that hurts) before and after exercising.

It's not so crazy! I noticed the same thing! For a while, when I was doing the elliptical trainer and lots of dancing, my right foot would hurt so much at night it would wake me up at night. I eventually figured out that if I stretched my calf properly, I would have no problems with my heels. As it was, the calf so tight it was pulling on the muscles in my heels and causing horrible pain! I run now and because I keep my calves stretched, I have no heel pain!

Strange, but true!