Health Discovery Network
kimmibear

Any swimmers out there?

Hi all! I am a VERY beginning swimmer...(one week away from finishing the American Red Cross level 1/2 class....2 weeks from starting level 3!). I am really enjoying the swimming and have a goal of being able to swim at least 350 yards (lap swimming) comfortably by next spring/summer. The classes are really great for form, but not for learning how to build endurance. So..I'm wondering if anyone can kind of direct me to some resources and/or give me some advice on how to build up my endurance to start working on swimming longer distances. Right now, I know I can swim at least 25 yards. I am doing other forms of exercise as well.

Hey,

I've been swimming for about 11 years now. I think the best thing (besides joining a master's team) is just to build up like you would any sport. Start with whatever you can do, and do that a few times. For example, do four individual 25's with rest in between (but not too much rest). Then do something easy, like float down to the other end of the pool. Then see if you can do four 25's again the same way. Eventually you'll build up and be able to do four 50's, or 6 25's, whatever you're most comftorable with.

Good luck!

weight.png

Ashley

3/7 miles Run

15/30 miles Biked

Congratulations on completing your first swim class!

If you want to work up to a 350, your best bet is going to be to continue to take lessons to learn efficient and effective technique and to learn more strokes. Swimming is part conditioning and part technique.

Masters swimming can help you, and so can continuing with the Red Cross classes.

Continuing with the Red Cross classes will help -- complete them all and you will learn several strokes and lots of useful skills. They will also help you work on endurance and distance.

The usms.org site already referenced can help you find a Masters club near you. This is "age group swimming for adults" meaning ages 18 and up (sometimes waaaay up!). A good club will help all levels. If you can swim 25 yards, you can start in with them. Competition is available but totally optional. If you like to race, it can be motivation!

The best way to train for endurance is to simply swim, and often. Go for 25 yards, catch your breath for 30 seconds to a minute, then go again. When you are really comfortable -- you can finish and not be quite so out of breath, try going 50. Go slow ... it's a long way at first. When that's easy, try 75s, and so on. Count your laps. 14 lengths is a 350. Keep a log if you want to see your progress. Every month or so, see how far you can swim without stopping, or see how far you can swim in 15 minutes.

If you want to train on your own, start where you are. You can adapt any workout you find at usms.org, just do shorter distances (yes 25 yards) and longer intervals. Check out the triathlon training workouts, they generally only worry about freestyle (crawl) and not the other stuff. OK, so you may start with 25s on a 2 minute interval (or longer). Nothing wrong with that. Just remember to swim slowly for around 10 min. to warm up and again to cool down. The water keeps you clean and cool and you don't know how much you're sweating until you stop.

I'm in my 3rd season of Masters swimming. I train mostly with a USA Swimming club (the same one my dd is in) and this year I got in early enough in the season to learn a lot of basic technique. I'm having a great time!

Enjoy your swimming!

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Thanks so much for all that info! Swimming is really different from running and all that...it's a whole new learning process. I may look for a master's club to join as well. It sounds like my first steps need to be just working on reducing my rest and building up to the first 50..so on and so forth. I do plan on continuing with the classes in the winter and am going to sign up as soon as the winter schedule is posted. Thanks again and I will be digging around that website tonight!

I find that mixing up the type of swimming that I do works really well for me. I alternate days of just doing breast-stroke or even just kickboarding to work up endurance. I hope you're wearing a cap...swimming is great for your body but HELL on your hair! If you go to a swim shop you can find all kinds of junk to put on your hair to protect it. I slather conditioner on my dry hair under my cap to keep it safe; some people say to get it wet so that it won't absorb chlorine, but wet hair=breakage.

Happy swimming!

SW/229 CW/180 GW/165

weight.png

i def wear a swim cap...my beautifully pink speedo cap, LOL. I have heard that wearing conditioner is good, but I haven't done that yet...I think I will try it out. I have a friend who puts vaseline on her hair before swimming (she's on a team so she swims like 6 days a week) and swears by it.

My instructor told me my rotary breathing is really good and that the next class is not full so she thinks she'll have free time to work with those of us in it more individually, so I'm excited about that. She also said that most adults don't take past level 1/2...and the levels past 3 are usually more like individual isntruction b/c there are 2 teachers and like 4 people. So I will definitely keep taking the rest of the classes to take advantage of some more one on one instruction. There is a masters swim club at my gym, so maybe in January after I get through the next class I will join. Thanks soooo much for all the info!!!

Kimmi, how'd you find the Red Cross class to take.

I took swimming lessons as a child, but have not really swam in a VERY long time, and I'd love to start again.

Ronesshia

Surprise Yourself!

Thanks, Kimmi. I figured that out AFTER I asked you. :bcb_huh:
hehe it's all good! i had never heard of them until i joined the gym and they said that's what they used. i'll be honest..they are pretty good classes. i can't believe that i went from basically a barely doggy paddle to being able to swim and tread water in the deep end in just 5 classes. what i like the most is that the classes have two instructors and they limit the classes to 8 students maximum. very hands on. i hope you find a class!

I really need to start taking swimming lessons once I move. I know it is such good exercise and I just really need to learn once and for all!!

I am so proud of you, Kimmi, for taking the steps to learn to swim!!

Brooke ~ HW: 217.0 ~ SW: 211.6 (10/24/09)~ CW: 208.2 (as of 12/12/09) ~ WWGW: 155 ~ PGW: 145

You're all making me so nostalgic. I worked as a lifeguard when I was young and swam 1500 meters in a triathlon once about 20 years ago, but I haven't done more than the occaisional summertime dip in many years.

Talk about beginners, my son in 10th grade he decided he'd try out for the swim team. At the start of the season, they had swimmers of varying abilities in each lane. Lane 6 for the best, 5 for the next tier all the way down to lane 1 which was guys just barely able to avoid drowning. He was so bad he had to start in lane 1 and work his way up.

By his senior year he was chosen captain of the swim team. He's a grad student now, but still works part time at the local YMCA as a lifeguard. It takes time but if you want it and work at it, success will come.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com