Health Discovery Network
leenie17

First Weight Watchers Meeting was an hour ago

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself! I've been lurking on this board for a week or so while I made the decision to give up the low carb success/failure cycle and really commit to weight watchers. I'm 33, 5'1 and as I just found out an hour ago (and am kind of freaking out over) weigh 160.2 pounds. I figure if I admit that publicly, I'll do my best to be able to retract that as soon as possible! My WW 10% goal is 16 pounds but my goal is to get down to 110 pounds. It's not entirely a vanity goal, I have lupus so the less pressure on my joints the better I feel. I have NO EXCUSE for being this big... no kids, just a big appetite and some steroid medication that took over for a little while. I went down to 140 on Atkins, but I gained it back because try as I might, I can't cut chocolate out of my life completely. And popcorn. I love popcorn. So... my goal is foods I like in moderation and hopefully that will be the key! Looking forward to reading more of what has already been helpful advice from this forum. :bcb_bigsm

[/url]

Hi! I just wanted to say hello, and to wish you luck. I started this week too, and I'm now on my 2nd full day of tracking points. I think it'll take a little getting used to, but it seems simple enough. I just need to learn to balance my points a little better...not have so many in the morning, where I have none left in the evenings and vise versa. It looks like we'll be new at this together....so keep us posted on your progress, and I'll do the same. 10% for me is 19.2 lbs. Next Weigh-In is Monday 10/15.

Saw this quote last week, and have it taped near my computer at work.....

"YOU CAN MAKE EXCUSES....OR YOU CAN MAKE CHANGES....BUT YOU CANNOT MAKE BOTH!" --AUTHOR UNKNOWN

Hey, thank you so much for the welcome and the good luck! I wish the same to you. I love that quote... it applies to so much in life. I'm going to follow your lead and stick it on my computer too and there's my motivation for the day. I'll look at it when I get my 3pm hot chocolate craving! :bcb_grrrr Fortunately I'm not busy at work today, so I have a decent amount of time to go over the books and tomorrow will be my first day of tracking points. Have you found balance to be a big problem for you?

[/url]

Hi Lennie17! Yes, still having a little difficulty with the balance thing. Today was my 2nd day, and I am ready for bed with being 3 points shy of my Total Points for the day. I will try to plan better tomorrow. Little by Little...we'll get it. Let me know how tomorrow goes. Good Luck!

welcome to the group...i'm new also and so far, i love it here...tracking takes a bit of gettin used to and some days i still have 1 or 2 points left over at the end of the day...i generally solve this with a piece of fruit (2 points) or a 100 calorie snack pack (2 points) or my fav. dole mandarin orange fruit cup (1 point)...hope this helps

weight.png

Thanks almondeyes--

After looking at my Starter Book, I have been making a grocery list for the weekend. I want to get a lot of zero and/or one point foods to snack on, or to just help reach my daily points. I also need to find a good multi-vitamin. Today is my 3rd day tracking points, and I already felt better this morning. I had more energy, and felt like I might have even lost a pound or two. I'll just stick with it and keep my fingers crossed for my next weigh-in on Monday night. Good Luck To You Too! :salut

Ok, so I've written everything that's gone into my mouth down today, and it has me thinking about food non-stop! Grrr! :bcb_grrrr So far I think I'm ok. I have 21 points for the day and I've used 11 between breakfast, lunch, and a snack. I have discovered the 100 calorie bag of Chips Ahoy crisps... they are phenomenal. I think I have a WW dinner at home that is 7 points, so between that and a salad, I should be set for the night. Sounds like you both are doing great... and I'm going to check out those Dole cups. Continued success to both of you! :bcb_bigsm

[/url]

Hang in There....it looks like you'll be fine for tonight. I do feel hungrier today tho. It seems like I am also thinking of the next "snack". I guess it's supposed to help us to eat more throughout the day, just better. For example.....I've bagged up some portion sized grapes today, along with some chips/salsa and carrots for work. So far, I've had the grapes, and I might grab a few chips to hold me over until quitting time. I do believe I think more before I actually put something in my mouth....which is really what I need to be doing anyways. I'm not really looking at this as a diet (per se), simply an educational experience...I need to learn what's good and what's bad to snack on, and to think about the portion sizes more, as opposed to sitting at my desk just nibbling away, without a thought as to how much I just consumed. We're doing good tho.....Thanks for keepin us posted.

Welcome to BCB,

I'm impressed. Bravo on taking the journalling aspect of WW seriously. This is one of the biggest downfalls with people. They estimate or start guessing and they usually guess wrong. You are off to a good start. :salut

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

I'm taking the journal part seriously this time because that's the one thing I never bothered with any other time WW "didn't work for me" (aka I half-assed it!). So I figure now that I'm doing pretty well with staying in my points I should be good. I had .05 left over yesterday and I haven't dipped into my 35 weekly bonus points. I bought the monthly pass, so I have been keeping myself in check by putting my points online and in my handwritten journal. That may be a little overkill...??? I also developed a new little habit of clicking on the link of the dress I want whenever chocolate seems like a good idea! :bcb_bigsm

[/url]

Cool Idea about clicking on the link for the dress you want. I feel like you're really going to hit your goal this time. You really seem dedicated and motivated. Keep it up! We're rooting for ya! :bcb_bravo

The always being hungry feeling should pass after a week or so. I know when I first started I felt like I was starving all the time. I think I sent my body into shock will all the good foods and lower fat items. Your body will get used to it and you will do fine. Good luck...I'm in my 12th week and I'm down 25 lbs so far (i'm 1/2 way to my personal goal)

Cindi

SW - 215 on 7/27/07

CW - 141.5

GW - 150

38 yrs old

5'7"

Thanks Roadtripn! If I don't make it this time, it certainly won't be for lack of support, I appreciate it! :salut Cindi_R, WOW! 12 weeks and 25 pounds is exactly the kind of thing I need to hear! That's awesome work, and I'm sure it has been hard work. Thanks for the boost, it's always great to hear someone with a similar goal kickiing butt!

Stop n Shop has WW Smart Ones on sale 5 for $10. So, thinking I'll just go grab some lunches, I headed there last night. $70 later...!!! Why is eating like crap so cheap, and healthy food so pricey?!? I bought Smart Ones for lunches because I'm in Manhattan during the day and my choice is Smart ones or $12 salads. Then I bought chicken and turkey to make dinners with, salad greens, veggies... really NOT a lot of food! At least the $2 lunches will be an improvement, I just got sticker shock when I saw the total on the register.

[/url]

Stop n Shop has WW Smart Ones on sale 5 for $10. So, thinking I'll just go grab some lunches, I headed there last night. $70 later...!!! Why is eating like crap so cheap, and healthy food so pricey?!?

LOL!!! I know exactly how you feel! I have noticed that the low fat and fat free items cost more as well as the lean hamburg. I try to by the lean hamburg when it's on sale and stock up then. The other thing I struggled with at first was that "bad food" tastes way better than the "good for you food". Now I'm used to my portion sizes and the taste of foods. It's also nice to notice that I'm getting fuller quicker! It's a good thing that this is so easy for me because I probably wouldn't be sticking to it like I have been. I get so many words of encouragement from my husband that I can't help but keep motivated. Plus I needed to do this for myself and for my health. I'm 37, but I didn't want to end up like my Grandma.....overweight with knee troubles leading to knee replacement surgery. I already have a bad knee from a previous injury and I noticed that I was having too many problems with that knee. I knew someday that it would hit me that it was time to lose weight. Anyway...sorry for rambling on like I did. These boards and all of you are great motivators as well. It's just nice to know that there are others out there going through the exact same things you are. Keep up the great work everyone!!! :bcb_bravo

Cindi

SW - 215 on 7/27/07

CW - 141.5

GW - 150

38 yrs old

5'7"

I have noticed also about journeling. I think this is seriously the most important part because I will just keep eatting and eatting. It makes me accountable for what I'm eatting. This is great way to figure out what your eatting and why. I have comitted myself to a better lifestyle. I'm starting to feel better and I will continue to do better. I wish the best of luck to everyone.

So the leader is telling me not to be upset about this but... I followed the plan this week to the letter. I wrote everything down that I ate, stayed at or close to 22 points (used 8 of the 35 extras), drank tons of water, exercised when I could... and yet I lost a whopping 0.8 lb. My leader said "Be happy at least you lost!" but I'm sorry, I can't. This is a program for weight loss, so I'm SUPPOSED to lose weight. I can't be happy I lost as if I had left it up to chance.

What the heck?:bcb_confu

I posted earlier that I wanted to go with the "health first, weight loss later" approach, so I'll be done feeling sorry for myself quickly and just be stricter for nex week. I just needed to vent!

[/url]

Don't get frustrated. I have been going to WW for 12 weeks now and I did not loose anything for the first four weeks. Now I am loosing 2 to 3 pounds. Keep up and it will pay off...

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wJzAy2y/]

weight.png

[/url]

Leenie17-

I with you on this one. I think you and I both started around the same time. I had my first weigh in this week, and lost .06 lbs. I was so surprised! Especially after not digging into my xtra points, starving at some points, and not really having a lot of what I really wanted. But to be honest, someone once posted a link about "Why the Scale Lies" and it was really good. I'll try to find it for you. I know for a fact I lost weight this week. At least 3-4 lbs. My clothes feel so much better, and I have more energy. I finally weighed myself at home the morning after weigh-in, and found that I did lose about 3-4 lbs. Hang in there. I bet you lost more, and don't even know it. I'll see if I can find that link for you. Look under the Thread Titled " First Weigh-In" dated 10/16/07 for the link. Keep It Up! Will check in on you tomorrow.

PS. I went to Cracker Barrel last night, and it took me a good 20 minutes to find something on the menu I could eat, and stay within my points. UGH! We'll get it! One Day! :bcb_smile

I hit a plateau for 6 weeks! Didn't lose 1 pound. Then my leader told me to eat all the extra 35 pts. It worked!

Also don't underestimate the water. It's a key factor not only for filling you up but it also helps flush out the body.

Exercise is important also. Show your journal to your leader for some tips.

Also be careful with the sodium in the Smart Ones. I've started making Hearty Homemade Soups. They are great for Lunch or about 1 hour before dinner because it really fills you up.

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png