Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Leluhna

Resistance training question

Hi, I go to the Ladies Workout Express. I have been going for about 2 months. I try to go everyday, but what my question is; should one go everyday or everyother day. I got measured the other day and I put an inch on my upper arm and am quite upset about that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lilly - My heart rejoices in the Lord; in the Lord my horn is lifted high. I Samuel 2:1

are you doing cardio and lifting everyday? It's ok to do cardio everyday, but you want to lift every other day, unless you are doing a different body part each day. I would suggest that if you are doing an entire body lifting routine, go every other day. If you are going to the gym everyday and want to lift everyday, then split the body parts up (ie....monday do biceps and triceps, tuesday do back, wed do chest, thursday do shoulders and friday do legs). Also, did you put an inch on due to muscle? That's not a bad thing!!!!! That's actually a great thing! Hope this helps!

Andrea

PS...pm me if you need to, I'm a personal trainer if you need any more help.

Recommitted:6/17/04

173.8/168/164

WW Goal: 164 (4 lbs to go!)

10% Goal: 156.8 (9.8 lbs to go)

PG: 150 (18 lbs to go)

Guest judyo53

I'm down to 2 weight/resistance routines a week. I used to do it every other day but find that I need the extra day to heal better. Also, my body shows more improvement with extra cardio versus resistance training. I just lift light weights/higher reps & also use resistance tubes.

So I do my resistance/toning routine twice a week & get a minimum of 3 cardio days in a week, striving for 4 or 5. The reason I reduced it to 2 days a week is because I had recently read some articles stating that twice a week is sufficient to continue building muscle.

Guest girlinmotion

I'm not familiar with "Ladies Workout Express", but it sounds like it is mostly strength training? If so, I would say go 2-3 times per week, with at last 1 day off in between workouts. This seems to be what the experts recommend as the most efficient way to build toned, lean muscles. On those days off you should go for a power walk, bike ride, aerobics or jog etc. Cardio such as this will burn calories, helping you to reduce body fat. Cardio is also needed to prevent heart disease etc.

Don't give up on the strength training by any means though! Despite the initial increase in your arm size, it is highly unlikely that you will add much bulk at all. It is likely that as you lose the layer of fat on top of the muscle, you'll go back to being as small, or perhaps smaller than you were before. Toned muscles will make you look so much firmer and feel so much more energetic when you shed that layer of body fat and get to goal!!! Also, more muscle on your body will mean a faster metabolism. So it helps with weight loss and maintenance too. I'd just say to do it a bit less often, and add some more cardio.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your input. Ladies Workout Express is similar to Curves. They originally told me that I would not get muscular with the resistance machines. I do want to build muscle to burn fat, but I don't want to bulk up.

Lilly - My heart rejoices in the Lord; in the Lord my horn is lifted high. I Samuel 2:1

I am not sure if there is any resistance on the lady's express machines but if is just like curves there is really not much resistance at all so someone may have measured you different each time. It is hard to build much muscle on the curves machines but if you did by chance I would not worry about it once the fat starts melting your measurements will go down.

I had joined curves after taking about 1 year off of exericse and quit because the machines did nothing for me. I then joined liberty fitness which is simular but you can adjust the resistance to make it harder and my muscle is starting to come back.

Hope this helps.

Denise

Denise, Ladies Workout Express uses hydraulics and steppers. The hydraulics are pretty hard to push and pull so I feel that it has to be doing something. I have to be getting stronger and toning somewhat. Were you going everyday?

Guest chiefkays

I joined Ladies Workout Express a couple months ago and have been going 2-3 times per week. What I like about it is that you can control how hard you're working by how fast you push. Because I only go a few times a week, I push as fast as I can. It really gets my heart rate up and I've noticed a huge difference in my arm and leg muscles. I think its okay to go everyday, but maybe you should not push as hard on every other day. Or else, only do one circuit and then use the treadmill/elliptical. My location also has a cardio class 4 times a week. In general though, I would agree with everyone that strength training should not be done everyday. Good luck!

Guest memawcj

Just one other question for you - did you measure before or after a workout - that can make a difference too...

thanks,

cj