Health Discovery Network
momof2gr8kids

Any advice for one who has started over a million times?

Ok, so I'm back to WW, getting ready to start over again for the millionth (well, maybe not THAT many) time. In the past few years, it seems that I never get past "GO". Every time I start, I intend to stick with it and make lasting changes, but every time, I find an excuse to go off plan. In the last year, I've started core, flex, south beach, atkins, you name it....trying different things just to figure out what I can do that will click with me.

What do you do when you find your initial motivation waning? I am a lifetime WW, but haven't been at my goal for quite a few years. Back when I made lifetime, I remember being so dedicated to the plan and exercising. But somehow, I've lost that fire and no matter how hard I try, don't seem to be able to get it back.

One of the problems is that I am a very slow loser, and I get discouraged. Another is just that I end up making a bad choice or two and then throw it all in the trash can and figure I will start again next week. All of this has led to a 10+ pound gain (on top of the 15 I already needed to lose). I know it could be much worse, but for me 25 lbs. is a lot. Any tips, tricks, advice you can give someone who just can't seem to get past the first couple of weeks?

SW 156

CW 146

GW 125

I did it! I ran the ING Miami 1/2 Marathon - Jan 25, 2009!

To Support the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America - and My 4 year old Daughter and Hero!

See my Team Challenge Page here

http://www.active.com/donate/MI09national/08KBender

DETERMINATION!

Grab yourself a buddy and make the leap together!

You can drop me a line any ole time!

I'm Hope, 37 - Technical Ninja - 62 lbs over weight and ready to

lose it!

oh yeah!

Speak Soon!

Hope

Hopie

StartWeight: 15 st 7 lbs (217 lbs)

:bcb_marchworkin it workin it workin it

A Massage for Life.... Your path to healing: body, mind & spirit. http://www.amassageforlife.net/

weight.png

Welcome to BCB,

I am also a lifetime WW getting back to goal. I rejoined in June with 35 pounds to lose. I'm a very slow loser also.

I've had to make speical rewards along the way to keep the motivation high. I measured myself when I started. I used different coloured ribbons (not a measuring tape) for my bust, waist and hips. Two for each measurement. Than every few weeks I re-measure myself and cut the excess off the ends. They hang on my bulletin board whenever I need a visual boost.

I have tons of WW cookbooks. DH picks 3 new recipes a week that he would like. This keeps me from getting into a rut and bored.

I also have a WW meeting jar. I put $5 in the jar every time I go to a meeting. (Whether I lose or not) I now have $85 in my little jar for a nice pair of new jeans since I'm down 2 sizes.

Whatever works for you. :salut

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

Grainne, I LOVE your motivational ideas! The ribbons, the recipes, and the jar! You're so creative!

Along those lines - do you have any creative motivational ideas for people who are on maintenance? It seems like there are a lot of people who for one reason or another, got to Lifetime, and then lapsed.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

MedB,

Your ideas for motivation are great. I'm starting WW tomorrow (I've been Off Plan for 1.5 years now.)

Another thing I'm going to do for myself is buy a pack of colored paper clips. For every pound I lose I will give myself a new paper clip from the pack and will be a "necklace/rope" out of them so that I have another visual to show myself my progress.

*Jillian*

Love the ribbon idea! I am going to find me some ribbon right now and get started! Also love the money jar idea...thanks for sharing your ideas.

Tammy

225~223~222~160

HW~SW~CW~Goal

Losing weight to feel great in 2008!

I returned to WW at the beginning of the month. I had been successful years ago, counting points, but then stopped going to meetings. I have tried on and off to go it alone and my story is a lot like yours......I could always find an excuse to go off the plan. I rejoined and am doing core......my thought behind this was that I wasn't getting anywhere doing what I had always been doing, so I should try something new. This was a spur decision at the orientation point of the meeting......I had already figured out daily points and was all set to do flex. So far, so good. I also wrote down some activity goals for myself (even before rejoining WW). I have a goal to walk at least 2 miles a day, five days a week. Writing it down and keeping a daily log has helped. I love to see the miles I've clocked since September!!

Good luck! Thanks for starting this thread.........I can see we are getting a ton of great ideas!!!!! I love the idea of the jar to add money too for every meeting. I will start that tonight and retro the money I owe from October!!!!

Lynda :jump_jack

SW: 247(11/01/10)

CW: 235.5

GW: 145

I am a lifetime WW member. Over the course of a major move and going off plan for over 2 years my weight and my size went up from a size 8 to a 14 and approaching a 16. I could not afford to purchase yet another wardrobe since I had so many nice things in my closet at size 8. I made the decision right then and there that I was going back to WW. I went back September 24th and decided I would do core as counting points was not working for me. Yesterday was the end of my first month and I have lost 10.4 pounds! People at work think I am so dedicated, I might be, but I have a goal and I am determined to get back to my goal weight.

This is the only way I can do it.

Trish

BW 166.6

CW 156.2

GW 135

To: Momof2gr8kids:

Saw this quote and have it on my fridge and in my office at work. Thought you might enjoy it.... Good Luck! You can totally do this!!!!

"You can make excuses. Or you can make changes. But you cannot make both! --Author Unknown

PS...to everyone else: Great motivational ideas! Thanks!

Thanks everyone for all of the great motivational ideas!

I know I need to change things up a bit to make this work long term. I am definitely using the ribbon idea. I already took my measurements and logged them, so I'll get some ribbons and cut them to size. I planned to measure once a month, and this will be a great visual for me.

Keep the ideas coming. What kind of rewards do you have for your mini-goals? Bigger goals?

So far, so good....2 days on track!

SW 156

CW 146

GW 125

I did it! I ran the ING Miami 1/2 Marathon - Jan 25, 2009!

To Support the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America - and My 4 year old Daughter and Hero!

See my Team Challenge Page here

http://www.active.com/donate/MI09national/08KBender

You can do it. Stop thinking about negative things, i.e. how many times you have joined WW., how many "diets" you have been on.

WW. is really all about healthy eating, drinking some water, getting in some exercise.

If we follow plan, we lose weight, no matter how "slow a loser" we are.

It's all about self talk, motivation, motivation :strong:

Only YOU can do it. We are all here for support.

However, it takes work. It's not a walk in the park - lol.

I rejoined Oct. 10th and I took my measurements. I have an individual tape measure for each body part (waist, chest, hips). I cut the individual tape measures off at the measurement I am now. Tape measures are cheap so I can just buy more as I lose - thinking I'll do measurements at 10% to start.

Those other "diets" don't work long term because you don't eat from all the food groups. I tried Atkins many years ago - how many eggs and bacon can you eat - lol.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.