Health Discovery Network
mrss

~Runner's Thread--November 2007~

Thanks for welcoming me, everyone!

Ahhh, I went for my first run today! Thanks for the website (Couch Potato to 5K Running Plan)! I did the first workout today and didn't realize how out of shape I am. I look forward to the next workout though... I'm so proud of myself. :)

Heather

WW since 11/1/07

SW (post- baby): 269 8/07

CW: 225

GW: 160

44 lbs gone forever!

67.5 to go!

Pround mama to Jameson Walker, born 8/15/07.

Caitlin~Congrats on your run! Fall/Winter running can be so awesome. Good job on getting back to running!

Heather~Congrats on your Couch to 5K run. Good job!

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Caitlin ~ Congrats on your return to running today! :bcb_up I have not run too much in the dark, but I do like running in the colder weather (with lots of layers), much better than in 90 degree/humid weather! :bcb_huh:

Heather ~ I did the Couch to 5K program several years ago and really loved it! Stick with it. It will be challenging, but do-able!

Christine :bcb_smile

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

Ahhh, I went for my first run today!

...and didn't realize how out of shape I am. I look forward to the next workout though... :)

The most important mile is the first one. Now that you have one behind you it's nothing but improvement from here on out. Start keeping a journal of your workouts. It's important to be able to track your progress. Add a short comment on whether all felt well or something hurt. If you come up injured later, you can most likely look back and find warning signs weeks in advance. Since you probably fill out a WW journal daily anyway, just write it in on the bottom of the page.

Besides, sometime, say 30 years from now, you can get on an intergalacticnet forum and harp about how you've done 30,000 miles and people will be in awe when really you did nothing more than they all did, maybe even less. Except that you just kept track of it.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Caitlin: Love that Runner's High. :bcb_up Glad you had a great run, buddy.

Heather: Congrats on your first run! Here's an easy way to keep track of your mileage. I highly recommend keeping track (like Jack said) just for personal satisfaction. :)

Had a restless night of sleep and woke up with a headache. Bleh. Motrin took care of the headache, but I still feel tired. I plan to walk or run three later on this afternoon. Happy Running, buddies! Keep burning calories and kicking fat cells around. :bcbkickbu

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

Of course, there's more to the mileage logging than just personal satisfaction. That's just my take because I get such a big kick out of myself and what I've accomplished whether others do or not. But there are two more important reasons to track your miles.

First, there's injury prevention. As I noted before if you have some nagging ache or pain it will have shown itself very early on and you can look back to see when and how it began. In future you'll be able to see the signs at the beginning and take action before an injury actually stops you from working out. And there's shoe mileage. Running shoes will be unfit for running before they actually look all used up. I get about 500 miles per pair, some people can do a bit more. But how would I remember how many miles I had on them unless I wrote it down somewhere? Replacing those sneakers at regular intervals keeps most of the "standard" running injuries away. Really, it's all about the shoes.

Next is knowing when you are ready to go to the next level, whether that's a 5k, 10k or half-marathon and not just doing races but in training as well. I know I've been doing a lot of miles this fall, but was it enough to run a half-marathon? My memory might trick me into remembering I ran more than I did, but if I have a log of the miles, I look back at the last 6 or 8 weeks and see exactly what my longest runs were. That's how the couch to 5K plan works, you have a record of your training which the experts tell you is sufficient to complete that 5K. If you followed it more or less the way it's planned, you are ready, no question.

I use the running log on nikeplus.com (formerly nikerunning.com) and one thing that I LOVE about it is that it allows me to select which pair of sneakers I ran in. I have 2 pairs of the same sneaker that I am alternating, trying to get an equal number of miles in each pair. I have written "A" and "B" on the tongue of each pair of shoes so I can differentiate the 2 and every time I run I select which pair I wore. I can log on an it tells me that I have 57 miles on A and 63 on B - this way I know when I need to retire the shoes as well. Even if you are logging by hand, you can record the # of miles on your shoes so you replace them when needed.

~Caitlin~

HW:252 SW:241.6 CW179.4 WWGW:160

I've been using www.mapmyrun.com. I like that in addition to tracking my shoes, I can map out wherever I've run and know exactly how far I've gone. It has a lot of options on tracking whatever kind of workout you are doing. For instance, I only run 3 days a week, but am doing weight training on 2-3 days. It allows me to track the time spent exercising and the calories burned. It also has a place for making notes about the workout, which would be great for noting things like Jack mentioned.

Anyhow, I ran 4.5 miles yesterday on the treadmill due to rain (not as fun as outside). Today was my weight training day. You all have a great one!

Clif #125

SW 01/01/07 (235#) - LW 12/03/07 (165#) = 70# gone; CW = 171.6# (down 3.4 since 01/01)

"Some people go through life standing at the excuse counter. Get out of line. "

My Picture Show

I did 3 miles on the treadmill at the Y this morning. Treadmill running is not my favorite, I get hot too quickly and bored too quickly. :bcb_blush But, my speed is improving overall, probably from running the longer runs. 3 miles seems like a breeze after my 6 on Sunday! :bcb_wink3

Jack ~ Are there any decent 5Ks in the area during December? Since, you are my area expert? Thanks!

Christine

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

So I forgot my sports bra again!

I was peeved with myself but I decided I wouldn't cut down on the distance even if I did attract a bit of attention (sometimes I wish I could jog with a shopping bag over my bust since I'm pretty sure I'm still a CC). I worked myself even harder than usual, felt good and then I go to change.

My bra (regular one of course) is hanging on by a thread. I've stocked myself with a safety pin and I'm doing some damage control.

I'm so completely awesome. lol

AbbyLane

SW: 205 GW: 145 CW: 159

Hello, buddies. I ran 4.25 at the park. It was a balmy 68 degrees. :D

Abby: Made me laugh. :) Did you see this study? :bcb_huh:

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

Jeez. The title might as well be, "Study shows they will poke your eye out."

Kills me.

AbbyLane

So I forgot my sports bra again!
Ooh, ooh, that reminds me of another story.

A woman on another runner's forum a few years ago recounted a similar episode of forgetfulness. She had just returned home from a run and as usual removed her tank top while cooling down when she heard the mailman drive by. She loved getting mail, so she sprang out the door and down the driveway to get her stuff out of the mail box. As she grabbed the pile of mail, she noticed her next door neighbor staring at her with mouth agape. She looked down and... You know how after you remove tight elastic things it continues to feel like you still have them on? Well it wasn't just her tank that was off. She had removed her jogbra as well and was now standing out in the street naked from the waist up.

Wow. I bet she became very popular on her block. lol

If I did that, I'd be the most popular woman in the company since most days my exercise is on my lunch break.

AbbyLane

:bcb_grin Hahaha...Abby, maybe you should keep an extra sports bra in your car...or even your desk at work? LOL

Jack - that's a great story, and I can TOTALLY see how it could happen!!

Clif - I LOVE mapmyrun It has a great format and is really easy to use. Also, I love how when you are mapping a run you can have it "follow the road" - mapmyrun is the only site that i've found that allows you to do that.

~Caitlin~

I have a pain in my foot right where I'm pointing -

th_foot.jpg

That I think may be from running. Tips?

By the way, top of the morning!! Enjoy the view of my foot!

AbbyLane

I haven't been doing my usual running mileage post-marathon. Monday I did 4.5 miles on the trail, which felt great. I think it is important for me to have a running off-season, so I'm only running 2 days/week, and no long runs or races for now.

I've increased my cycling and yoga and added swimming and rock climbing (at a climbing gym) to the mix to keep things interesting.

Sarah

206/141.8/140

Started WW: 1/12/06

10%: 3/22/06, 2nd 10%: 6/6/06,

3rd 10%: 8/3/06, Goal: 8/19/06

Lifetime: 11/30/06!

I have a pain in my foot right where I'm pointing -
The foot is too complicated. 26 bones, double that many tendons and muscles. You could try an ankle brace but that would only be guessing at the source of the problem. Mostly what you have to do about foot aches is wait to see if it gets worse or take a few days off and see if it gets better.

Boy I didn't feel like running this morning for whatever reason. My mind kept telling me that I could cut it short or start walking, but I never did. I ended up running the full 5 miles that I had planned, and even posted a decent 40 minute time.

Tomorrow will be strength training, and then another run on Friday. Hopefully I'll be more into the run Friday morning - I really do enjoy it.

Clif #125

SW 01/01/07 (235#) - LW 12/03/07 (165#) = 70# gone; CW = 171.6# (down 3.4 since 01/01)

"Some people go through life standing at the excuse counter. Get out of line. "

My Picture Show

The foot is too complicated. 26 bones, double that many tendons and muscles. You could try an ankle brace but that would only be guessing at the source of the problem. Mostly what you have to do about foot aches is wait to see if it gets worse or take a few days off and see if it gets better.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. But this may be the perfect rationale for me to get new running shoes.

AbbyLane

Good Afternoon, All!

I was planning on doing strength training, but the weather is so nice here, that I went running instead. What a beautiful day it is. :bcb_smile Tomorrow is going to be in the 50s, so I'm glad I took advantage of today.

Ran for 40 minutes to the Lincoln Memorial and around and back. Need a nap, now.:sleep:

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg

I had another great run tonight - I can't believe I avoiding running at night/in the cool weather for so long - I am obesessed! On top of it, I had an allergic reaction to something (still don't know what - it happened in August too...) and I have hives all over my body - and honestly, the only time I'm not "itchy" is when I am running (I feel like a little kid with the chicken pox - I want to duct tape oven mitts to my hands) - so I stayed out a little longer than I planned tonight, hoping to enjoy the "itch free" while I could! I started steroids today, so hopefully I will have some relief in the next day or so...now I just have to figure out what is triggering it...

Clif - Way to go on hitting the pavement even when your mind was telling you it didn't want to - that happens to me ALL THE TIME - although I am slowly getting better at telling it to shut up :bcb_smile

Hope everyone is doing well!!

~Caitlin~

I took a rest day today.

Clif: Bravo for sticking it out. Some days I run, not because I necessarily want to, but because it's good for me. Of course, I enjoy the I-want-to-run runs much more! Welcome to the thread. :wave:

Caitlin: That's crazy about your hives. :bcb_down I used to get them years ago, but not so much anymore, thank goodness. They never could determine what the cause was for me.

Liz: How cool to run around the Memorial. I've only seen it on the penny. :D

Sarah: Sounds like you're getting in lots of exercise. :bcb_up Good to see you posting again, buddy!

Abby: All of my injuries went away with rest and ibuprofen...thank goodness. Loved the pic, by the way. Not only was it top of the morning, it was top of the foot. :D

• HW-142 CW-118

i only ran 1.3 miles yesterday before i got a horrible side stitch...i swear i was doing everything right, and i tried to slow down and work through it but it was soooo painful. could it have something to do with the fact that i may not have been as hydrated as i should be? cause i don't think i had enough water in my system. i dont know if that's even a factor, though.

so i switched to the stationary bike and did that for 30 minutes. i don't know if the sensor on the bike i was using was wrong or something, but it said i went like 10 miles in 30 minutes. is that even possible?!???! it just seems like way too much.

(ME) SW: 158.2; CW: 158.2; Goal: 140

(DH) SW: 248.4; CW: 248.4; Goal: 220

Liz: How cool to run around the Memorial. I've only seen it on the penny. :D

Crack me up! Only seen it on a penny! :bcb_smile

Strength/weight work today. It's raining and very cool here in D.C., so indoors I stay.

Clif, There are times when I've told myself that I can "stop if I need to", but I have always kept on going. Good job on persevering. :bcb_bravo

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg