Health Discovery Network
Guest SerendipitySmiling

Marathon Walkers?

Guest SerendipitySmiling

Hi all-

I'm training to walk the 2004 Portland Marathon on October 3rd and was wondering if there is anyone out there who is also training to walk a marathon or has walked one in the past and has any words of wisdom?

I'm doing the training on my own--I was training with my roommate but she's dropped out (not surprising). I know I can do this....

-Mindy

Guest jeremysmom

Hi Mindy. I've never walked a marathon, but I have a friend who is training for one. They have a training group. They train on their own during the week and then on saturdays they get together and walk together. I only walk the 5k races. I know my friend says they walk farther and farther each week....they gradually build up. You've certainly picked out a big goal for yourself. I know you can do it. bcbsalute.gif Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi Mindy -

I have not walked a marathon but I'm really considering doing it(hopefully in the not to distant future) While looking for local walking marathons, I stumbled across this website. It includes tons of walking info including a marathon training schedule based on your current level of fitness. Hope this helps. Good luck training and let us know how the marathon goes. If Portland wasn't so far, I'd join you.

Good luck thumbup.gif

Marathon walking training schedule

Laura

Joined January 2002

SW 266.6 Goal 165

Guest SerendipitySmiling

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of joining a training group, but I couldn't work it into my schedule (and was reluctant to spend the $$$ on it!). I did talk to a firend who has *run* the marathon a couple times and she told me not to worry about mileage when I train, but that I should work on the length (time) of my walks. She said that I should be able to walk 4 hours before feeling any discomfort. I think that's a pretty reasonable goal for this!

-Mindy

Guest jeremysmom

Mindy...that sounds pretty reasonable. Keep us posted on your progress. :cool:

I've walked 2 half marathons and am currently training to walk a full marathon in San Francisco on October 24.

Yes, milage DOES MATTER!!! It can take you 4 hours to walk 3 miles or 13 miles! You should gradualy increase your walking every week. I think Portland has a time limit of 8 hours for the full marathon. I'm on week 5 of my training schedule (we are training for 22 weeks) and we will be doing 10-12 miles this saturday. We do 3-4 days during the week of about 4-6 miles each. We also thorw in a hill training (since this race is in San Fran!) once everyonthe week.

If you would like a copy of the schedule I follow, let me know, I'd be more that happy to send it to you!!

Good luck in your training!

Janeen

P.S. Be sure you go to a qualified running shoe store (not Finish Line or another chain store that sells shoes for "fashion") and get fitted for a properly fitting shoe. It will make all the difference!!

WW start date: Jan. 10, 2002

Start weight: 231.2

Total lost: 45.6 Lbs!!!

Recommitted: May 24, 2004

Start weight: 199.8

Recommitted AGAIN: January 3, 2005

Start weight: 209.6

Guest SerendipitySmiling

Thanks Janeen!

I am still concentrating on mileage. I already know that I can comfortably walk 4 hours...I just don't know how fast I can walk for that amount of time. I figured out that I have to maintain a speed of AT LEAST 3.3 mph during the marathon to finish within the 8 hours. I'm still trying to get my pedometer set correctly (ugh!)--once I have that, I should be able to tell what my "comfort" speed is.

I did go to a running/walking store for my shoes--which really made a big difference. The guy told me that the shoes are only supposed to last for 300 miles, so I'll probably end up getting a new pair in August.

-Mindy

You may want to get a second pair of shoes now and alternate between the 2 on your walks. That way they both get broken in and you wont have to worry about a new pair of shoes so close to race day.

Most shoes should last between 300-500 miles. If you are just now starting with new shoes, you should be ok with them come race day!

Keep up the good work! It is really a rewarding experience!

Janeen

Guest SerendipitySmiling

Well, the marathon is October 3rd so I think that if I get my new shoes in mid-August, I should be okay. I'll probably alternate my new shoes with the ones that I have now so that I don't totally blister my feet on the long walks!

-Mindy

I'm training for the Disney Half-Marathon, which will be held on January 9. I've heard some great things about the Portland Marathon, particularly that it's well organized and very walker-friendly.

I found a great resource to be Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham. It has suggestions for training (including day by day schedules) and down-to-earth advice on just about everything.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

Ellen

SW 349.6 / CW 334.6 / GW 132.0

Not ashamed to say that I'm back (again) but this time I'm here to stay!

OvCa Warrior Princess :bcb_grrrr

ElenitaB you'll love Disney! I have that one on my list of marathons I want to do! I was going to do it in 2005, but since I'm doing San Francisco in October and the Country Music Marathon in April 2005, Disney is going to have to wait till 2006.

So many races, so little time!!