Health Discovery Network
lolap

Jerk Chicken

I made this tonight and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. DF really loved it too. Its originally an emeril recipe, but I modified it a little to save some points...

Jerk Chicken

12 oz chicken pieces 12

1/2 cups distilled white vinegar, plus 1 teaspoon 0

1/2 cups finely chopped scallions 0

1 Serano Chile (with seeds and membrane) chopped

2 tablespoons soy sauce 0

Juice of one lime

2 tbsp ground allspice 0

1 bay leaves 0

3 cloves garlic, minced 0

1 tablespoon salt 0

1 teaspoons sugar 1

1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled 0

1 teaspoon cinnamon 0

In the bowl of a food processor combine vinegar, scallions, Serranos, soy sauce, lime juice, allspice, bay leaves, garlic, salt, sugar, thyme, and cinnamon. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the jerk marinade for the Jamaican Barbecue Sauce. Put chicken in bags and pour marinade over chicken. Allow to marinate at least 24 hours.

Grill chicken (in batches if necessary) until cooked through.

Jamaican Barbecue Sauce:3

1/4 cups ketchup 1

1/3 cup soy sauce 0

1/3 cup white vinegar

2 tablespoons Jamaican hot pepper sauce 0

2 tablespoons Jerk marinade

3 scallions, minced 0

3 cloves garlic, minced 0

3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger 0

1 tbsp honey 1

In a medium non-reactive saucepan combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook another 12 minutes, until sauce is thick and flavorful and coats the back of a spoon. Cool sauce to room temperature before serving. Makes ALOT of sauce- Even though there's honey and ketchup in the sauce, I don't count it because I use such a tiny portion of the sauce.

Could serve with rice, or somekind of bread, but I had it with salad and papaya MMM....

Chrystal

HW:256.8/cw:244/GW:size 8-10- whatever that is

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds wonderful. I would dearly love to try this, however, DH just got cut way back on his sodium by his Dr. Do you think this could be made without soy sauce, or is that crutical ingredient? Even if DH can't have it, I may give it a try and just half or even quarter the recipe. Thanks again.

Di :wave:

I think you could def. do with less. The soy sauce is just in the marinade, and very little of the marinade actually ends up on the chicken. Have you tried low sodium soy sauce? That might work too. I wouldn't go sans soy sauce because salt helps the chicken absorb the marinade, much like a brine.

Chrystal

Chrystal, thanks for the new recipe. :salut One of my jobs today is cooking to restock the freezer with individual meals for work. I love to have something from everywhere in the world in the freezer and have yet to do Caribbean.

I like the way you report to us the points for each ingredient. I have been doing that on my recipes but only posting the total here. I think it helps the way you lay it out.

Edit: Chrystal- I didn't see rum in the sauce ingredients but it is in the directions. Did you omit it? How much is called for?

marge

there s a dance in the old dame yet toujours gai toujours gai

SW: 206

CW: 162.5

40# 2/5

HW: 146

weight.png

Marge- I omitted the rum... I didn't even notice that in the original post. I'll go back and eliminate it to avoid confusion (although Jamaica supposedly has incredible rum... and I can't imagine using more than an ounce... if anyone decides to use it let me know how it comes out)

Chrystal