Health Discovery Network
KellyDawn

venison (deer meat)

Most game meats are very lean and count 1 pt. per oz. after cooking.

I believe that most of them are also Core.

Enjoy!

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Guest Steph1021

Kelly: That is so funny you should post this today!!!! Just yesterday my husband and I had venison and were laughing as we tried to look up deer in the WW book knowing full well it wouldn't be listed!!! :bcb_grin We figured 1 pt per oz since it is so lean. Tis the season for venison!

I am from PA too, and we eat lots of venison. I always count plain chops, loin, and regular burger( we make it ourselves with nothing added so I KNOW it has no added fat) all at 1 pt/oz. the burger that I make and add part beef burger to it I count the same as ground beef.

I know I am going off topic, but what I REALLY would like to know is the recipe for cajun patties....I am so bored with the same old stuff. (I HATE venison roast, but anything with chops, steaks, loin, etc. would be much appreciated. I do make corned "beef" with part of one deer every year, but it is so high in sodium that you can eat it very often.

thanks, girls!

Here's the nutritional info on venison:

Game Meats: Deer or venison, raw

Per 1 oz / Per 3.5 oz serving:

Calories: 45 / 157

Fat: 2.0g / 7.1 g

Saturated Fat: 1.0g / 3.4g

Cholesterol: 22.7mg / 80.0 mg

Protein: 6.2g / 21.8mg

Sodium: 21.3mg / 75mg

Carbohydrates: 0.0g / 0.0g

Fiber: 0.0g / 0.0g

Calcium: 3.1mg / 11.0mg

Basically, just confirming what's been said! I grabbed this from my CalorieKing program.

weight.png

Checking in to see if the recipe for cajun patties was posted...

I DID find venison in the complete food companion (not in the week one book from last year) 1 oz- 1 point just as everyone thought. I kind of chuckled..or almost up-chuckled at some of the stuff in there.... aramdillo, oppossum....do people really EAT that stuff? to each his own I guess!

Have a great day buddies!

Guest Steph1021

So is opposum considered a lean meat??? ughck! :bcb_yuck:

I found this recipe on realcajunrecipes.com

Makes:10 servings

Prep Time:30 minutes

Cook Time:not available

Ready In:30 minutes

Ingredients

6 1/2 pound lean venison

3 1/2 pound ground pork meat

4 ounces salt1 ounce black pepper

1/2 ounce red cayenne pepper optional

1 large onion

1 lemon juiced

1 bunch scallions

Directions

On the venison make sure the fat, ligaments and tissues are all trimmed from the meat. Grind together the venison, pork meat and onion. Do not use to lean a pork meat; fat is needed to keep the sausage moist when cooking. Season with salt, peppers and lemon juice. Chop the onion tops and add to the sausage mixture. Put into casings or fry as patties or meatballs. This freezes nicely. Use in gumbos, stews, jambalaya, rice and gravy or add sage spice in your meat mixture and use as a breakfast sausage.

If you want go to the site and you can customize the servings by typing how many servings and it will re-calculate everything for you. Hopefully it is what you wanted and hopefully they are good.

Kevin

MO Platoon Member # 240

SW 395.1 (02/11/2013)

CW 395.1 (02/11/2013)

Current Week Loss --

GW 240

weight.png

thanks Kevin. I be tit would be good stuffed in casings and grilled. I am always looking for something to do with the dreaded venison, and this will be great.

Chef

Steph,

I actually had the opportunity to taste possum, raccoon and armadillo at a wild game dinner. They are the GREASIEST meats you could possibly imagine. Tasty, but GREASYYYYYYYY. Bleccccchhh! :bcb_yuck: