Health Discovery Network
bethel

How do you motivate yourself on "feeling lazy" days?

As much as I've learned to LOVE exercise (for all of the many benefits), there are always some days when I just DON'T want to move my rear end.

I have a few strategies to handle this:

1. I'll do something completely different - for example, for every time I need to go upstairs, I'll make myself go up and down the stairs four times. I'll use a full bottle of laundry detergent to do arm exercises while I'm doing laundry. I'll do squats, lunges and pacing while I'm talking on the phone. Even though it doesn't do that much to get my heart rate up, it's still movement and I'll count it as 1 activity point.

2. I'll start a workout and give myself permission to stop if, after 10 minutes, I don't want to do it. Invariably, once I'm in my workout clothes and moving, I start "getting into it" and finish the workout.

3. I'll do a shorter or easier workout - sometimes my body is telling me to cut it some slack - I don't have to push myself to the limit every time.

4. I think of a good reward (NOT junky food!) for exercising - some time with a good book, buying myself a "little something," going to a special event or movie with a friend, etc.

5. I do a silly little mind game that works for me: I put up an "away" message on my instant messenger screen that says "Working out" - just seeing the words makes me feel like I've created an obligation and then I'm more likely to do it so I can keep my word.

6. I look at my weight loss chart or my clothes closet (I always keep a "next size down" item in there) - these things inspire me to say to myself, "If you want to get there, you have the power to do it - the choice is yours."

7. I give myself one day off a week - and if it's a day that I REALLY don't feel like exercising (not feeling well, feeling too sore from a strenuous day), I use my "Sabbath rest" option. Since it's only one day a week, it makes me think twice before giving into laziness.

8. I talk to myself: "Remember the last time you felt this way and you exercised anyway? Remember how you felt afterwards? You felt energized, de-stressed, strong, empowered, proud, and motivated. Don't you want to experience those feelings again?"

Hope this helps. Would love to hear other people's ideas! :bcb_march

SW: 224 lbs

CW: 162 lbs :bcb_march

GW: 145 lbs

Goodbye 220's...210's...200's...190's...180's...170's...

Excellent post! :salut What helps me is knowing that I need to update my exercise on my WWAH board. I don't know why that works, but it does. I also have rest days (at least one, often two), and tell myself I can walk instead of run. Once I get started, I'm usually good to go. :wave:

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

What helps me is not letting myself have or do something until I exercise. For instance, I'll say to myself, you can't have that popcorn until you exercise. Or, you can't go on the Internet until you exercise. It seems to work for me.

SW 142 12/31/07

CW 139 1/28/08

GW 130

I vow this time to not stop journaling and weighing in. I will stay in control this time :)

:exercise2

This is silly but I swim with a team (mostly kids, a few adults) and we "sign in" by marking the roster on the wall with green stickers (and our names are in BIG letters). I like to have my 3 marks a week. And I can literally SEE when I've been slacking (and so can everyone else). I may not feel like swimming, but once I've done that 3rd 100 in the warm-up I'm good to go.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

we "sign in" by marking the roster on the wall

Wow, that brings back memories. It's how I got started running seriously in 1978. I had been running on and off, mostly off, for a few years prior but in 1978 the folks in my office had a little jog-a-thon competition. We'd come in each day and mark off our miles run on a big sheet posted on the wall.

It was 100 days and by the end I had gone over 300 miles, but even more importantly I was hooked permanently . I never stopped again after that. Oh, there were injuries and illnesses which made me pause for a few weeks or even months from time to time but I was always itching to get back to it when I was healed.

But these days, and there are plenty, when I just don't feel like dragging my butt out to run, I'll think, OK just one mile then. Once I'm out there and get moving, magic happens. I start to feel better when I've warmed up and the no-go turns into a go-go.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Great post! Like Padre, it's non-negotiable for me, and my goal is 7 days a week, but I don't beat myself up if I miss a day. Ms. Nike - I just do it. I exercise at the end of the day, and I use it as a stress reliever. I always feel so much better after I exercise, and that's what motivates me.

7_5_137.gif

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Great topic. I basically follow your #2 technique - just keep putting one foot in front of the other until I'm in my clothes and working out. You know, it goes like this, "Ugh, I REALLY don't feel like workout out today." "Well, I'll just put my socks on." Then, "OK, I"ll just put my shoes on." Then,"I"ll just do 5 minutes..." Of course, by that time, I'm usually warmed up and ready to do the whole workout. BUT...there are days when, even 15 minutes into it, I still feel "off." On those days, I still usually complete my workout, but take it easy. Sometimes your body DOES need an easy day.

I like all your strategies, though. Great idea to post this. Thanks.

- Jennifer

PS Can I put this up in my gym on the bulletin board? (I'll keep it anonymous....)

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Feel free to post this whever you want - hope it helps others.

SW: 224 lbs

CW: 162 lbs :bcb_march

GW: 145 lbs

Goodbye 220's...210's...200's...190's...180's...170's...

I feel that if I don't get up and exercise it amounts to suicide and I don't want that.

MO#83

Guest Bubbleteagirl

I always get pumped up whenever I watch the show "the biggest loser".. it motivates me to want to work out, so whenever i'm feeling tired and lazy I just think of that... or to help motivate me, I just go on the scale and weigh myself and then I don't like what I see lol so that motivates me pretty quickly!

I also "schedule" it into my life. At our Y, you need to sign up for babysitting one week in advance. I also have the kids signed up for several classes there, and once I take them, what else am I going to do? :bcb_wink3 It is planned, and something I need to do, whether I want to or not!

Incorporating good habits are what work for me.

Christine

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)