Health Discovery Network
dardar

First meeting thoughts

Well, I went to check a meeting out because I dont know if I want to join online or do it at home ( all with the support of this site ). Honestly, 90% of the people attending the meeting were thin, i mean size 2 or 4's, perhaps its my location ????? South Florida. I felt like the fat one, depressed, and not real great to be honest. Its hard for me to believe that the large majority were overweight and there for maintaining. I am definately going to do WW but don't know about the meetings.

Hey Dardar,

Well I have been doing WW for a year and half, I started out going to the meetings, and then I thought I had the program down pat, so I stopped going to meetings, and decided to do it on my own. Well, I was wrong, b/c I had no one to moniter my weight for me, I wound up gaining everything back plus some. I recommited to WW this past July. I love going to the meetings for the support and the accountablity. I know I have to face the scale every week, and answer to myself when I see that number. I know I can't fib what is wrote, b/c I didn't write it, lol!!

It all depends on how much support you need. Me, I need the support, b/c I'm a type of person, I'll eat like everyone else and not worry about it until later. Now with the meetings and the support from BCB, I have the will power to make wiser choices when going out with friends. If you do decided to do WW from home, find an online friend that you email your daily menu to, this way there is someone that you "answer" to on good days and bad days. I do that and it has really helped me stay OP.

Good luck and let us know what you have decided.

Nessa

A journey of a 1,000 miles MUST begin with a single step!!

Sw: 235.0lbs

CW: 242.lbs

GW: 170.0lbs

Thanks Nessa, where on this board could i find one buddy to email daily, i know thats a good idea, im going to reconsider the meetings based on your imput - to be honest i dont know if i can do it on my own or online without the weigh in.

Hey, if want, you can email me. I check my email everyday, I'm good at replying, considering all my family live up north, we do better with email then by phone, b/c we are all sooo busy!!! So if you want you can email me anytime. We can email daily menues, WI's and any support that is needed!! My email address is nessaann81@aol.com

Talk to you soon,

Nessa

A journey of a 1,000 miles MUST begin with a single step!!

Sw: 235.0lbs

CW: 242.lbs

GW: 170.0lbs

I've joined and rejoined WW more times then I can count. The last time I attended I was just bored. I didn't hear anything I hadn't heard before, and half the meeting was an infomercial for WW products. I decided this time the only way I'll go back to meetings is if I don't stay 100% on the program, and then it will just be for the accountability... (getting on the scale and having my weight recorded by someone else). I really don't want to do that again. I've made the committment that I'm going to do this with the help of my BCB board members. I'd rather spend the money on dance lessons or something fun. I'm 55 years old and have been on and off Weight Watchers since I was 11. I know the program.... my problem is I've never been able to maintain my weight losses. That's not a learning problem, it's a doing problem. I really don't think I'll learn anything new by going to meetings again, unless they change the program drastically. That's just how I feel. I know they say people that attend meetings lose 30% more, and there are many people that love the meetings. But, they're just not for me anymore. We'll see..... time will tell. For me, going back to meetings will be a self imposed punishment for not adhering to my committment.

Being a former leader I can say that it is really important to go to the meetings. Statistically those who are most successful on ww are those who attend meetings (not just weigh in, but stay for the entire meeting).

That being said, I have decided to forego them myself. I'm at a point in my life where it would be very easy to miss a meeting and decide that I was done. So, I am here online. I have a lap top, so I'm online quite a bit, even for a few minutes at a time. I read mostly and post some. I also research weight loss, maintenance, exercise and health issues.

I think meeting attendance v. online support really depends on you and your needs. Either way I wish you success.

Trisha

Our goals are only a decision away. cw:122

DarDar, if you do go back and get to know some of the people at your meeting, let us know if they are all on maintenance! That's pretty amazing that they would all be so tiny. I can certainly understand your feeling self-conscious about being "the fat one", but I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Maybe they have a fantastic leader - you sure wouldn't want to shut yourself out of that possibility! What was the actual meeting like (or were you too bummed to notice)?

I feel self-conscious going to my meetings for the opposite reason (but I'm no size 2-4 :bcb_grin): there are a lot of new members there (first of the year, etc.), and I feel them looking at me like "What is she doing here?" I'm there because I'm trying to be successful at maintaining - I know that it's not an easy thing to do, and I want to keep the weight off. The past 3-4 months, I haven't gone as regularly as before, and my weight has gone up a couple pounds. I've gotten sloppy in my thinking, and in what I allow myself. Sure, I know what to do, and I've heard most of it before, but I usually come away from the meetings having heard something that I needed to hear - that will help keep me on track for one more week.

AmyLynn, sorry the meetings were so boring for you, and that they were infomercials for WW products. I don't know if that's something new or not, but my former leader hardly talked about WW products at all. The new one has a few times, but certainly not for half of the meeting! I can empathasize with wanting to spend the money on something else though (and dance lessons would be a fantastic alternative - good exercise and fun!).

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

The leader was maybe 90 lbs and about 26yrs. old. She lost 35 lbs. I would say there was about 60 people-50 in the line to get weighed and about 10 sitting in the chairs. She talked about her boyfriend saving his 35 pts. so he could eat wings for the superbowl and she was giddy. Then she made announcements for people that lost some weight and they got keychains. The majority were thin and young. I am 56 and have nothing against young people but i was a thin girl up until age 35-40 and then ballooned and i know its alot easier to lose weight when you are younger ( for me ) because i did it all the time. I am not saying anything bad about the meeting, i just felt out of place weight wise and age wise. I have never been to a meeting and I did not learn anything except for the fact i dont know the point values yet. Many people were in line to buy shakes, candy, bars, etc. I was the fat one and the old one ! Ha ! Yes, i could give it another shot and let you know if they were all on maintenence but then again its hard for ME to relate to a majority of 20 somethings who can lose easier, dont have health problems, bad backs, etc. ( not all but the majority ). I am thinking the online or at home program may be better for me with the support of this site. WW may gear the meeting to the local market which is good business.

Welcome Dar,

I find I need to go to the meetings to help monitor myself but it's not for everyone. I am fortunate enough to have a center with over 20 meetings a week. My WI group is mostly 50ish and defintely not a "thin" crowd. Sometimes it helps to try out several different meetings.:salut

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

Sometimes it helps to try out several different meetings.:salut

I wholeheartedly second that advice, if it's feasible for you. I know not everyone has the opportunity to sample different meetings but it's worth doing if you can.

I'd also suggest trying to go at least once more before you give up on a particular meeting. It can take a couple of tries before you truly know what the regular makeup of the group is.

That said, I've bowed out of certain meetings for a variety of reasons, including: 1) nobody seemed to have as much weight to lose as I did; 2) meeting seemed cliquey, with one group hogging the discussion; 3) meeting seemed to be dominated by recipe swapping (some recipe swapping is great, but not talking about it the whole meeting!); 4) leader's style just didn't do it for me. Gee, I sound picky. :bcb_blush

I just love my regular meeting now. Great leader, lively group discussion. Hopefully you'll find a great home base, too -- good luck!

Liz

First joined: 1986, lifetime 1991

Recommitted: 11/28/2007

Start weight: 198.4

Goal: 150 (6/5/08)

Currently: 149.4 (2/12/09)

PG: 145

weight.png

Maybe try a different meeting and look to see if there one that is specifically targeted to those who have 50 or more pounds to lose.

I do much better when I stay for the meeting. I lost a lot of weight with the same leader on Mondays. She was GREAT! but when I came back after kids, she didn't do it for me. Not that she was any different, but because she was the same. Still telling the same stories and giving advice in the same way. I needed a different perspective. I now go on Fridays and the leader is great too. She has a different perspective and it works for me right now.

I also look around at the people there and there are some thin ones that are there to lose 10lbs or so, but there are also some thin ones that have lost 60lbs or so that are lifetime. I always have to remind myself that in a few months newbies will come and sit in the meeting and look at me and wonder what I am doing there!

DarDar, your leader should have asked all the new people to stay afterwards so that she could explain the program to you. You should have gotten materials at that first meeting that would include a booklet that contains general point values for things, and a slider calculator that you can use to calculate points using the nutritional information on packages of food. Maybe you didn't get that stuff because you didn't register or pay? I do vaguely remember at the first meeting, that they told me I could stay until a certain point, and then would have to leave unless I registered - I figured I'd just do it, and give it a try for a few weeks to see if it worked. At that point, I didn't know about BCB and knew that I didn't have enough info to determine whether WW was the program for me, and for me the best way to really give it a fair shot was to do it by attending meetings.

Anyway, I'd second the advice given above about trying several meetings if you can (doesn't work for me though due to distance and time) to see if there's one with people you can relate to. Fortunately, my meetings have always included a mix of ages and weights - when I saw the younger women there to lose 10 lbs., at first I thought "Sheesh - that's overkill!" Then I thought - if I'd come to WW in my mid-30's when I only had 10 lbs to lose, I would have saved myself a lot of health problems... - now I'm more likely to think "Smart girl!" when I see them. I do think that it's an adjustment for those of us in our 50's to be in groups with younger leaders, who haven't had the life-lessons we have. It's something we face more and more often though in many different areas of our lives. The lady who was leader of my meeting when I lost, was a year or so older than I, and the new leader is probably in her late 20's, and I don't relate to her as well, but even so, I've still gotten worthwhile information from her.

I could give it another shot - maybe on a diff. day - i work fulltime so some of the meeting times are no good as i start work at 500am. It would be a problem going to a diff. location due to distance and traffic. I like your thought of " smart girl " and ill use that, I was ah geez when i saw all the size 2's and 4's in their 20's. I was not given any info - but i did not pay - I just said i wanted to check a meeting out - i was then told only stay for 20 min. of the meeting and come out if i want to join and it would be 10 weeks for 125.00. I stayed for the whole meeting and did not join.

Guest Erica20

Welcome DarDar I am Taneisha nice to meet you and Welcome to BootCamp Buddies. No need to feel like the fat one feeling depressed...and having those size 2-4 Females that would really discourage me but keep being determined ok:salut

Thks. for all the responses, today is day 5 for me and I am struggling and learning, I need to plan more as I have been eating what I normally have except for the common sense stuff like chips, butter, bagels, cokes. I looked up the pts. the next day and saw where I need to improve, now that I got the books and joined online tonite I should be in better shape, actually I have stayed in my range except for the Boston Market meal the other nite. I thought "should i go to Boston or Subway"? and assumed the chicken meal would be better but found out Boston was worse, I was confused about the sub lookup on the points, they list a sandwich as x pts. then they have a listing of the sub roll. Not sure if the sandwich included the bread or if you have to add the two. I was surprised that WW online did not have a store unless I missed it, I have become a big fan of the fruities which I bought at the meeting-I may have to go back just to buy these-I hope I can get to a point where ill say " have an apple instead of the fruities or popcorn ".

I was confused about the sub lookup on the points, they list a sandwich as x pts. then they have a listing of the sub roll. Not sure if the sandwich included the bread or if you have to add the two.

Basic Subway bread is 4pts for a six inch piece of bread with nothing on it. Add a point for cheese, add a point for mayo, of course the veggies are free... then add points for meat. All of the nutritional information is online on www.subway.com If you were getting info from the eating out guide, I'm sure they meant the whole sandwich, not just the filling. You shouldn't have to add, except for the condiments (cheese, mayo, etc) and it should state that in the fine print.

W.W.= whatever works (for u)

Bottom line: It's ok to not like meetings;

as long as you are

progressing not regressing.

When you start giving up on yourself then maybe consider other options.

P.S. What's with all the negative self-talk that got most

of us here to begin with?

:bcb_march

:exercise: "Today is the only day that matters." :workout:

sw:155 :bcb_cry:

cw:137 :bcb_up

2nd mini- goal: :bcb_salut

2nd 10%: 123 :bcb_up

Goal Date: May 23rd

I would like to be able to attend a meeting....when I go for WI I am about 20 people waiting to pay and get my sticker, then go to the weigh line and I'm 30+ people behind there. By the time I get to the scales the meeting is almost over....it's kind of ticked me off a few times but I keep trying to get their earlier and earlier, but I'm still way in the back. Someone said last week for me to hang in there, that it usually thins out in a couple of months. I hope she wasn't thinking I would be one of those...:kickbutt:

Debi

Eat to live, not live to eat, one day at a time.

weight.png

Joined WW: 01/07/08 (2nd time)

Those long lines are frustrating! In our area they tell you to get there 1/2 hour before the meeting, and usually they're there an hour before for the really early birds. In late December, the leader usually warns us that January will be a zoo and that we should plan to get there early (I sometimes will go early, weigh in when there's not much of a line, and then go run an errand and come back for the meeting itself). For the past year, the attendance in our town has been way up - except for a few meetings, we've had a lot of people attending, which is a good thing, because there are a lot of very overweight people in our town. After a year ago January, I kept waiting for the crowds to go away, and they didn't! WW finally added a third receptionist, and the leader has also been weighing people in, so although the lines are there, they move quickly.

I went to my first meeting last night and after 38 minutes and 3 different lines I left. I have never seen so many rude people gathered in one spot in my life. The meeting was half over and all the seats were taken and I was still in line. I asked if I had to pay for the present meeting since it was obvious I wasn't going to get any benefit from it. They said yes and I said good-bye. All they wanted to do was weigh people and sell them WW products. It looked like a store to me. It is the only meeting in my town so I think I will try the next town over next time. This group needs some help with manners and guidance to greet new members.

That is exactly the way it is with the meetings in our town....just what I was saying earlier in this thread. You don't get to hear the meeting because you're standing in line. We have 1 receptionist and 2 people weighing (3 last week), I went 45 minutes early, and still was standing in line 20 minutes after the meeting started, and was nearly over. I've never been asked or pressured into buying anything from the meetings, it is displayed for all to see though. If you want it you can get it, if not that's okay too. I haven't encountered any rudeness, however, so I guess that's why I keep going. I'll get my support from here I guess!

Debi

Eat to live, not live to eat, one day at a time.

weight.png

Joined WW: 01/07/08 (2nd time)

I have had great success on WW, and I've also had great failures. Time and time again when I fail, there's one common thread...it's because I skipped a meeting and it threw me off course. I agree with the others, you need to find what works for YOU. I know for myself, I HAVE to regularly attend meetings and weigh in's or I allow myself to eat 1 bad thing, and before I know it, it's been weeks and I've just regained everything I'd lost. I am very much an "all or nothing" type person, so attending meetings for me is vital. Is it convenient? NO! I'm a single (divorced) mom, I work full time, have full custody (and sole visitation) of my daughter, and the closest WW meeting site is 20 miles away.

But I know that if I try to do it on my own, I fail every time. I KNOW the "rules", I know all the tips and tricks. I've been doing WW (off & on) long enough that I feel "well educated" in WW, but I can't do it without the support and accountability.

Try other meeting times to see if you like the group/leader better. Just don't give up, and don't let your first impressions of others determine who you are. Find your inner strength, and don't let them scare you away from being the best you can be. It's your life, not theirs, so go live it! :bcb_up

"Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

I am so lucky, I have a wonderful leader, I get there early and get weighed in before the meeting starts, and I always get information that is helpful. For those of you who are disappointed, why don't you contact the headquarters and tell them these problems? They will check it out, I know others have dealt with problems this way and it helped.

Tish

Onward and Downward

I am so lucky, I have a wonderful leader, I get there early and get weighed in before the meeting starts, and I always get information that is helpful. For those of you who are disappointed, why don't you contact the headquarters and tell them these problems? They will check it out, I know others have dealt with problems this way and it helped.

That's good to know. I know with our meetings, that for awhile last year, there were the long lines, and finally they got a third receptionist, and now even our leader weighs people in. There are still more people there than the first year I went, but the lines move faster, since there are twice as many weigh stations. I don't know if anyone complained, but if people are getting there early and still are stuck waiting in line and missing part of the meeting, WW needs to do something about that. Obviously most people don't have that kind of time to kill just to get weighed - what you get out of the meetings is worthwhile enough that it's not good when people are having to miss them (and I'm normally NOT someone who has much use for meetings of any kind).

I was fortunate in the meeting venue because we started a meeting at our work site. You needed a minimum of 15 paying people (maintainers don't count on the money side) and a willing WW leader. We had both.

I attended the meetings to loose my weight and found them essential - I continued the meetings during my first year of maintenance.

Lately, I have decided to do without the meetings and go it alone and have not attended a meeting since Oct 27, 2007. So far I am doing okay and had a slight period over goal which I was able to pull back down practicing a rigorous committment to the Flex side of the program for a while.

Recently, I broke my kneecap which wiped out all my cardio exercise which I thought was essential to my weight loss. I actually lost weight during my recovery period because I really counted the pts and logged my food because I didn't have the activity pts to play with.

But I am really anxious to return to my cardio routines (walking/jogging) as I miss them greatly.

Meetings helped me with the accountability in the beginning - I seem to be able to have the discipline now to stay on program.

MO Platoon Member #184

This is for life.... :bcb_march

SW - 237.8 (March 16, 2006)

10% goal - 214.8 (5/18/06)

Lifetime goal - 184.0

Lifetime goal: 11/30/06 @ 183.2 lbs

WW lifetime membership: Jan 11, 2007

Current WT: 179.2 (5/5/2012)