Health Discovery Network
TeacherCLC

Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes

Here is my favorite recipe for breakfast on the weekend. I converted it to CORE.

Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray Show: 30 Minute Meals Episode: Get the Day Started Right spacer.gifConverted to CORE by Courtney :o)

1 cup old fashioned oats

1 cup oatmeal "flour" (grind 1&1/2 cups oatmeal in food processor)

1/2 cup Splenda

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 cup fat-free sour cream

3/4 cup fat-free milk

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 really ripe bananas, mashed up

Non-stick spray for griddle or pan

Sugar-free syrup for drizzling.

Here's a great tip: if you cannot find really ripe bananas, just nuke them in the microwave for about 15 seconds and they will become super soft for mashing. Mix dry ingredients, the first 6, in a bowl. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients, the next 4. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined, then fold in the mashed up bananas. (**Honestly, I mix it all in one bowl.)

Heat a griddle or pan over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray. Cook pancakes, each about 1/4 cup, until bubbles form on the top, then turn. Cakes will cook in about 2 minutes on each side. Keep pancakes tented with foil as they come off the griddle to keep them hot. Serve with drizzled sugar-free syrup over the top. (I think they are good without the syrup.)

Let me know what you think. I love, love, love them and we eat them most Saturday and Sunday mornings. My family gets all excited when the bananas start to go bad since they know I will be making the pancakes soon.

Courtney ~ in Japan

2009 is my year! Recommitting and taking it one day at a time.

Mmmmm. These sound delicious. I'll definitely try them!

How many people do you think this recipe serves? I put it into Mastercook (substituting sugar for splenda and egg beaters for the eggs) and came up with 1/8 recipe is 3 pts.

I can take splenda in small amounts, but not sure I could handle 1/2 cup of it.

Nita

Rachel Ray said it serves four when she uses 1/3 cup scoops, but I make them smaller and it feeds at least 8 people. Everyone gets about 4 or more pancakes. They are very filling and a definite family favorite. Thanks for responding so positively. Everyone else "freaked"out because of the word flour. I guess no one reads the parenthesis! :bcb_wink3

Courtney ~ in Japan

This sounds really good. thanks for posting it. I'll be trying it this weekend (hopefully)

Dawn

-------------------------------

Slow and Steady

weight.png

Started WW and Core 9/29/05

:bcb_march Re-committed 03/12/08

This recipe is awesome! I have a hard time finding recipes that I truly enjoy. This one will be moved to the top of the list! I didn't have enough sour cream so I blended 3/4 C of FF cottage cheese w/ 2 T of skim milk and 1 T lemon juice until smooth as a substitute. Also, when my bananas get too ripe I freeze them. Then when I need one or two, I just defrost them in the microwave for about 30 seconds or refrigerate them overnight. Now I have a use for all those bananas taking up space in my freezer! Thanks for the recipe!

I have been corrected on a few posts here by Admin that ground oatmeal is not core, but I do use it without problems. You could maybe substitute cream of wheat for the ground oatmeal if you were so incline, but you would have to increase the liquid since cream of wheat absorbs a lot of liquid. Made these today with the ground oatmeal...YUM.

thanks

sarah

When a recipe calls for flour alot of times I substitute quick oats. I add approx. 1/4 more wet ingredients to compensate and let batter sit 5-10 minutes. It makes some baked goods heavier but still core.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely substitute the quick oats or cream of wheat. I'd even thought about using the oat bran as well. I'll keep you posted on my new experiments. :bcb_happy

Courtney ~ in Japan

Another tip is to freeze your ripe bananas with the skin on. I do this when I have bananas I don't plan on using. Just pop them out of the freezer and let them thaw. Once they are thawed the blend right up with your mixer.

These sound divine!! I am putting this on my list of recipes to try VERY soon!

Kelli from MN

"change happens one day at a time"