Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Tigerdawg

Steel Cut Oats

Hello...

I'm trying to add steel cut oats to our diet. DH and I can't stand the texture of rolled oats. Can you help me out with how to fix the steel cut oats.

Thank you in advance :bcb_smile

SW- 235 Jan. 2, 2008

CW- 177.8

GW- 150

“There are two ways to live your life.

One is as though nothing is a miracle.

The other is as though

everything is a miracle."

Hi there,

I use steel cut oats to make crock pot oatmeal and I LOVE it. I can't eat instant or quick oats anymore. I cook it for 8 hours over night, then I add in whatever items I'm in the mood for in the morning. Sometimes it's dried fruit (which can be cooked along with it), sometimes it's just a little cinnamon or my favorite--peanut butter.

It's 2 cups of steel cut oats to 8 cups of water. Cook on low 7-8 hours. You can add dried fruit to the oats when you cook it.

Hope this helps!

Hi- I was wondering, where do you find Steel Cut oats? about the only place to shop around here is wal mart and I've looked and don't find them. So they have to cook for quite a long time? What do they taste like?

SW-198

CW-170.4 8/15/08

GW-155

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..."

Tigerdawg, here is a link to the Whole Grains Council website's general guide to cooking grains. I use it all the time. In fact, I printed it out and keep it in my recipe notebook. http://wholegrainscouncil.org/recipes/salads-and-sides

Deb, I get my steel cut oats at the grocery store in the healthy foods section where they have a display of "Bob's Red Mill" brand grains. They have them at Trader Joe's if you have one of those near you. I've never seen them at Wal-Mart. BTW, is that a fish you're holding in your Avatar? Nice catch!! I love to fish!!

Be well.

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Sailorwoman- neat name! Thanks-we do not have Trader Joes-I've heard alot about it-sounds great though--I'll keep looking. Maybe I could order them online.

Yes- in my picture is a 4 lb walleye that I caught in TableRock lake. We LOVE fishing!

Also-do you sail? We just bought a 27ft Catalina Sailboat. I've only sailed once but come better weather we will be learning! It's has a beautiful cabin, can't wait to stay overnight on it.

SW-198

CW-170.4 8/15/08

GW-155

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..."

Check out your regular grocery store, I have found them sitting right by the regular oatmeal. Quaker has them in a blue oatmeal (round container) and it does say on the box "Steel Cut" Oats.

hope you find them.

jo

weight.png

Yes- in my picture is a 4 lb walleye that I caught in TableRock lake. We LOVE fishing!

Also-do you sail? We just bought a 27ft Catalina Sailboat. I've only sailed once but come better weather we will be learning! It's has a beautiful cabin, can't wait to stay overnight on it.

Yes, I sail a lot. I sail on the ocean off Mass. from mid-May to the end of September or early October. I race a small (16') sailboat Saturday and Sunday afternoons and Wednesday nights from the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend to the third week of September. It is a busy schedule. The boat is a jealous mistress!

I'd like to do some cruising, but haven't yet. Congratulations and good luck with your new boat!! Where will you sail her?

Always a sailor, I broke down and got a 17' center console stinkpot last year. I have always loved to fish, and so this gives us more opportunity to do that.

Looking ahead to a great season!!

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)