Health Discovery Network
nan-see

Wonder Light buns are gone - looking for recipe to replace them!

I am lost without my Wonder Light hot dog buns (1 pt each).

They've closed the factories and any distribution here in Southern California.

I have looked in every supermarket and I can't find any other brand that comes close.

Best I can find is Sarah Lee for 2 pts each and It bumps up to 5 when you have 2 of them!

I have a bread machine and also have made bread by hand, but have no idea what would make a low point bun.

Does anyone have a recipe that would work out to a 1 pt hot dog bun?

Even if it worked out to 3 pts for 2 that would be livable!

Thanks!

N :bcb_salut

Nan-see :)

Friday is WI!

weight.png

Hi! I'm in So. Cal. too. Where are you?

Have you looked at Roman Meal buns? They have whole grain ones.

Also, some people use toasted English muffins (you can "split" the hotdogs so they fit), and Thomas'have a light brand that I think is only 100 calories, and 1 point.

Tish

Onward and Downward

Hmmmm...

I haven't seen Roman or Merrita.

I will look (but i swear i go thru every package when i'm at the store!)

Any recommendations on where to find them? i've tried Ralph's and Albertson's.

I do have to add that the thing that was so good about the Wonderlight - was that it was a "white bread" tasting bun.

As much as I love whole grain bread and eat it at all times, a whole grain hotdog bun just doesn't taste right with hot dogs and kraut!

Thanks again!

N :bcb_salut

Nan-see :)

Friday is WI!

weight.png

Where are you here in So Cal? I'm in Redlands, and there's an independently-owned grocery store here that carries the Roman Meal. If you're close by I can tell you the name and where it's located.

They also sell the Thomas' Eng. Muffs, and I had one this morning (toasted) with a WW sloppy joe, and it was quite good.

Tish

Onward and Downward

Guest peaceofmind

I was just going to suggest WhiteWheat. Their slice bread, hotdog buns, and hamburger buns. Enjoy!

Guest qdesq

Whitewheat bread and buns are my favorite!

Guest mom2-4boys

We can't get them here any more either so I use the Wonder light Italian bread and it's better than no roll or a high point roll.

All you have to do is "search" this forum. There are so many comments about low-point breads, 2-point buns, etc.

I really like Charski's Bran Bread. It's very light (as I remember) and had flecks of bran~ :bcb_smile

I pulled up 2 recipes for you. But there are many, many more~

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

We have a couple of options here. Jewel (grocery chain) has light hot dog and hamburger buns for 1 point. Village hearth has light italian, wheat, whole grain breads and italian or wheat rolls, all for 1 point each. D'Italiano light is also 1 point for 2 slices.

As for recipes, I'm not sure. I suspect they cut down on the sugar, increase the yeast or the rise time to make them airier, and add cellulose to boost the fiber content without having to use whole-grain flour.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png