Health Discovery Network
ChristineP

Bourbon Chicken

Today's winning recipe! *Yummy* is all I have to say. I made this Core, with my changes listed below. I wouldn't change anything about the recipe, except for maybe to add some onions next time? Definitely a keeper here. (It is high in sodium, so I would NOT recommend this right before a WI!). :bcb_wink3

Enjoy! :bcb_up

Christine

Bourbon Chicken

picINIS1Z.jpg

RECIPE BY: LinMarie "I searched and finally found this recipe on the internet. It is a copycat of the Bourbon Chicken sold in Chinese carry-outs in my hometown. This recipe is so good that my sons gobble it up leaving me just a spoonful. Their excuse was they thought I had eaten."

4 Servings

Core Recipe + minor points

2 lbs boneless chicken breasts , cut into bite-size pieces

1-2 tablespoon olive oil (I used one tbsp.)

1 garlic clove , crushed

1/4 teaspoon ginger

3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 cup apple juice (not Core)

1/3 cup light brown sugar (I used plain Splenda)

2 tablespoons ketchup

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup soy sauce

Heat oil in a large skillet.

Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned. Remove chicken.

Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium Heat until well mixed and dissolved. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over hot brown rice and ENJOY.

www.recipezaar.com

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

This was great,whole family loved it and I served it with couscous,ran out of the chicken which usually does not happen with 2 poundsfor the 4 of us.

Tried this tonight--it was excellent! I did throw in some chopped green onions, since I had some leftover from another recipe. It was a nice addition, but I don't think it's a critical element by any means; I'm sure it would have tasted delicious without the onions. I think next time I'll try using orange juice instead of the apple juice. mmm.

Nikki

SW: 183 (1/8/06)

CW:145

WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)

next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

I did this in the crockpot twice last week..LOL we loved it..we did chicken one day and pork loin the other...it came out fabulous and I have mine over bulgar YUM!

Nicole

Guest Christen83

Do you think Unsweetend Applesauce could be substituted for the juice?

I've made this a few times since it was first posted. Applesauce? I would think it would be ok. Wish I had thought of that before I bought the six pack of small bottles of juice.

Guest Christen83

I'm worried it might make it a little too thick...but I think I'm going to give it a try and use half cup instead of just a 4th (since those are the little cups I have in the fridge)

Guest TryingWW

Nicole,

Did you change anything when doing it in the crockpot? Did you brown chicken first? My kids love getting this chicken when we are at the mall. I like it but it is usually swimming in oil or has a very "shiny" appearance.

Guest Christen83

YUMMMO!!!! Love this recipe.

The applesauce worked great :bcb_up

Hi Again......

For those of you who have made this recipe, one additional question. (I'm thinking about making this tonight or tomorrow night for dinner. Probably tomorrow).

Anyhow, when one cooks this is the crockpot, do you put the chicken in raw, or do you brown the chicken and then add it to the crockpot with the other ingredients.

Thanks in advance.......

Karen

HERE WE GO AGAIN !! :bcbkickbu

STGoal #1: 200 lbs

Losses to date: 8.3 lbs

Hi.. didn't see an answer to how many points this would be.. I'd love to know, if someone could find out!

Thanks!

m_a.jpgLisa

Weight pre-1st-baby: 150

After the kids.....

SW: 209 (3/10/08)

CW: 164.9 (5/19/10)

GW: 150

I know this is core- but pts would be nice!

Also- can be skip or substitute the cider vinager. I would hate to hit the supermarket for just that...

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

Guest Christen83

I got 7pts if you use the 2lbs of chicken and actually use brown sugar (for 5 servings)....that does not count pts for brown rice if you serve it over that.

Good Evening.......

Just finished making this and having a serving for dinner. Can I say this is AMAZING ???!!!!!! Man this was sooooooo goooood !!!!!! :bcb_up I can see myself making this again and again. :bcb_wink3

Thanks to Christine for posting this........

Karen

Goddess,

I used regular white vinegar because I didn't have any cider vinegar, the recipe was really good, not sure if it made a difference at all.\

Teri

Proud Mom to Mckenzie born July 26/06

Now ready to shed these baby pounds!

Joined WW April 15, 2008

weight.png

Teri........

I don't think it would have made that much of a difference. I had every type of vinegar in the house......except for the cider !!! I ended up using sherry vinegar and the results were marvellous.

OMG!!!! I made this last night and it was so awesome!! Thanks for posting this. BTW, I forgot to put in the vinegar so don't worry if you substitute or just have a senior moment like me.

Smoke free since 11/15/07

I love this recipe!! I just spotted it here, but have been using this from Zaar for the past few years! It is wonderful, but I agree with it being high in sodium!!

Nikki

SW 230.6(01/15/11)

CW 199.9(1/20/12)

I made this last night and it was excellent. The only thing I did that was different was to thicken the sauce a bit with cornstarch at the end. I think that the next time I make this, I will just boil down the sauce a bit before I re-add the chicken to cook. I won't add as much hot pepper next time either - I like it, but it does not like me.

Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237

Current Weight: 203.5

My Goal Weight: 180