Health Discovery Network
passionflower

I am scared to try vegetables

Hello all,

I first joined ww 5 years ago with a buddy that I worked with. I got to goal weight and then life took over and I let ww fall to the wayside. I have joined 4 more times since them. One of them was with my husband which was also very successful. Unfortunately, he is not willing to join with me again and I am afraid that I cannot do it alone.:bcb_cry:

Back to my original question/concern. I don't eat veggies. I eat raw carrots, raw celery w/dip and corn. Nothing else. My parents tried to make me eat veggies but I refused. They once forced a pea into my mouth and I promptly turned my head to the side and puked on the wall.

I am more and more concerned that I am not getting vitamins, minerals and fiber that I need from veggies. I want to start trying some veggies but I don't know where to start. I am afraid that if I start with one that tastes as bad as that pea did, that I will give up again.

I have been flipping through my ww cookbooks and have decided that I might be able to try sweet potato strings but that is a starch not a vegetable right?

I just made some home-made beef broth and put in some onions, peppers and shredded carrots for soup but I don't think that is a huge leap either.

If you could choose the best veggie/recipe/preparation style that you knew that would get me hooked on veggies what would it be?

NOTE: The smell of fresh/salt water fish makes me sick so maybe stay away from those bases. EEK - I know I am a mess!!!:bcb_sick:

I pretty much like any vegetable sauteed with a lil garlic and olive oil. I love roasting brussel sprouts in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. Cut the sprouts in half. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a sheet pan. Turn halfway throughcooking time. They will get very brown and crisp on the outside. I cant stop eating them when i make them like this. I know it sounds wierd, but give it a try,u might like it!

881928z2rblgp7oi.jpg

I assume you're an adult... Sometimes as adults, we have to learn to do things we don't want to. I really hate drinking water, but it's part of the program, so I had to buck up and do it. You need to do the same with vegetables.

Experiment with vegetables cooked different ways (and perhaps to different degrees of doneness), with different seasonings. The suggestion to try roasting vegetables is a great one - it opened up a whole new palatte of flavors for me. I was raised on vegetables that were either canned, or overcooked, and DH was raised on frozen ones. They are very different.

Hope you discover some that you like, because it'll make your WW path a lot easier!

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

Try those new steaming bags that they have out there on the market. Just put your vegies in there, squash, zuchinni, onions, a little bit of Mrs. Dash seasoning, whichever one you like and steam it for between 3 and 6 minutes. The bags are wonderful. I have been actually getting the frozen vegies and putting them in the steaming bags and they come out perfect. I'm definitely hooked on them now. Last night I made zuchinni and squash in the bags with some seasoning. The night before I used frozen broccoli and just used some of that butter spray after they were done. Give it a try. You may really like it.

Try those new steaming bags that they have out there on the market. Just put your vegies in there, squash, zuchinni, onions, a little bit of Mrs. Dash seasoning, whichever one you like and steam it for between 3 and 6 minutes. The bags are wonderful. I have been actually getting the frozen vegies and putting them in the steaming bags and they come out perfect. I'm definitely hooked on them now. Last night I made zuchinni and squash in the bags with some seasoning. The night before I used frozen broccoli and just used some of that butter spray after they were done. Give it a try. You may really like it.

I love the zip 'n' steam bags. Now I can have broccoli as bright green and tender as they serve in restaurants.

marge

there s a dance in the old dame yet toujours gai toujours gai

SW: 206

CW: 162.5

40# 2/5

HW: 146

weight.png

Look for recipes for dishes that layer in some vegetables. For some folks that makes the veggies more palatable. The other night I made a WW casserole that called for a layer of tomatoes and zucchini along with a meat/cheese filling, for example.

I know it's been said, but I can't resist another plug for roasted vegetables. It gives them such a deep, mellow flavor. Plus, you can use them in other dishes besides eating them on their own. You can put them in the Garden Veggie Soup recipe, or toss them with pasta, for instance.

One basic combination I do is parsnips and carrots -- just peel them with a peeler, spritz them with a spray of olive oil spray and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on them. I also like to throw in some peeled garlic cloves to roast with the veggies, for added flavor. (Peeled shallots are also nice to add.) Roast the veggies at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, depending upon how thick the pieces are, until tender.

Roasted broccoli is also delicious, believe it or not. You do it the same way as for the parsnips and carrots, but it only takes about 20 minutes. Again, I like to eat it on its own, but it's great tossed with a cup of pasta and a teaspoon of olive oil, too.

Anyway, I do sympathize. I myself have had to learn to like salad -- it can be done!

Liz

First joined: 1986, lifetime 1991

Recommitted: 11/28/2007

Start weight: 198.4

Goal: 150 (6/5/08)

Currently: 149.4 (2/12/09)

PG: 145

weight.png

Do you like fruit? You can count fruit towards your 5 fruits & veggies, and 2-3 fruits a day may take the pressure off.

If there are a few veggies you like, by all means eat them. You can get a lot of mileage out of carrots and celery.

BTW I think making soup with homemade broth and cut up veggies is a huge step forward. I love soup!

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

I am another veggie hater. I have greatly expanded what I like and what I'll eat but I'm understand how much the desire to even try them ISN'T there!:bcb_bigsm

I think the key is finding good recipes. I am a huge America's Test Kitchen's fan and love their stuff. You can also go to www.allrecipes.com and search the highest rated veg.

I really started expanding what veggies I liked by cooking the ones I liked in different ways. I do recommend roating them. I also love to thaw the french cut green beans and fry them in garlic and a little butter. I prefer that to the larges cut green beans...

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Soup is a great way to get your veggies in. If you have a blender or a hand blender you can puree them. They're still in there, and still good for you! Sweet potatoes are definitely a vegetable, and a very healthy one. I like to microwave a sweet potato then mash it up and drizzle with olive oil.

The squash family is also very mild and tasty. Try butternut squash boiled, then pureed with chicken broth for a tasty easy soup. I add curry powder too. I like to put a big dollop of fat free sour cream on top of any soup once it's hot, then stir it in. Yum and low points! Check out the soup section of the recipe forum for some great ideas.

"Hunger is the best sauce"

my Mom

I love most veggies. I guess soup would be the best way to get in veggies - cook and puree the veggies.

I love the steam bags too, but what goes in there tastes closer to "fresh veggies" in my opinion, which is good if you like veggies - lol. Even the frozen ones taste better in the bags.

Raw veggies are ok. too - try broccoli/carrots/cauliflower/celery.

Roasted veggies are delicious, but again "it is veggies".

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

Your pea story made me LOL a little bit; you remind me of my brother...once when my older sister made us dinner, she made pasta and dumped like, an entire bag of frozen peas in because she and I like them and he PICKED OUT EVERY ONE. He had this little mountain of them on his plate at the end of dinner.

Anyway... I'm a fan of veggies but not a fan of cooking, so most of the veggies I eat are either raw or steamed. And let me tell you- that will get boring fast especially if you're forcing yourself to eat them. Try roasting. I did it once with cauliflower and it was...interesting. I'm not a good cook and I didn't use oil or seasoning hahah.... so next time I will and I bet it'll be even better. Even without the oil and seasoning it tasted better than raw or steamed cauliflower ever has to me. And cauliflower is REALLY versatile, which is why I recommend it as a starting point.

If, like CW suggested, you can tolerate V8, I'd recommend a small can every day. The 5 oz cans are tiny enough that you really can just chug 'em down and wash them away with a nice glass of water. I can't sip at that sort of thing, it's too thick, but I can chug some V8 like a pro!

Anyway, good luck! If you're afraid to go it alone and want a buddy system, check out The Go-Getter Gals- there's only 3 of us so we aren't very intimidating. :bcb_grin

All great suggestions! I would like to just add that maybe if you start out with mild flavored veggies like green beans, sweet peppers and spinach and work your way up from there to the stronger flavored ones. I remember hating peas as a kid. Mom always bought canned and I cannot eat them to this day out of a can. But fresh and frozen are delish! YOu may just find that you were hating veggies all this time for no reason at all! Besides the benefits of eating your veggies should be reason enough to just eat them anyways.Are you at least getting your fiber from other sources? My SIL's whole family has serious digestive trouble and the dr. said not ever eating veggies is the biggest reason for thier problems.

Can you tolerate V8? Try the low sodium version.

This is a good idea. I've been drinking one a day for quite some time, in an effort to up the veggie content in my diet. The can says it has 3 servings of vegetables.

Sometimes I rim a glass with celery salt, add some ice cubes, add the v8 and pretend I'm drinking a caesar/bloody mary. I can almost taste the vodka sometimes.........:bcb_grin

SW and HW-198

CW-192.5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I love all kinds of roasted vegetables. Here is a recipe that I use.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Oven-Roasted Carrots and Parsnips

Recipe By :Kathleen Daelemans

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 lb carrots -- peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks

1 lb parsnips -- peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks

1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

coarse-grained salt and cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 F. Place vegetables in a plastic bag, add olive oil (using only enough to coat vegetables evenly). Shake until well coated. Pour vegetables onto a cookie sheet in a single layer, add salt and pepper to taste, and roast uncovered, turning once, until they are cooked through, 25 to 35 minutes.

6 to 8 servings

Peel carrots and parsnips ahead.

Turn this simple veggie side dish into a roasted veggie extravaganza-throw tiny potatoes cut in half, peeled turnips cut into same size chunks, cloves of garlic, and sprigs of thyme onto the cookie sheet with the carrots and parsnips.

Source:

"Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen; page 168"

Copyright:

"2002; Houghton Mifflin Company; Boston, New York"

NOTES : CORE

WW points = 1.5

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

I can SO RELATE... I too hate veggies... but... and this is a big one... most of them you can eat as many as you want... and as hungry as I've been... I've been eating veggies I'd NEVER, EVER touched before... You can do it... some of them I treat like a pill... cut it into a tiny piece,... don't chew it, just swallow it with a sip of water. Buy yourself a good multi vitamin.. but those green beans will fill your stomach up... and that can be a very good thing :D

Capt Elaine Magliacane

My Blog

Kidney Cancer Survivor 6/2007 :salut

Started WW 2/22/2008

SW 224

CW 212

GW 165

weight.png

The only way to truely know is to DO IT!! :bcbkickbu

You got a lot of great ideas here. As a reformed veggie hater myself (I too have the pea, spinning head, vomit story from my youth), I say that if you are eating some raw veggies, then continue to experiment with raw veggies and a low-point dip or dressing that you love. My son hates cooked veggies, but loves them raw. Raw foodists would tell you that it's better to eat them raw, because you get more nutrients, it charges up the metabolism and promotes weight loss.

After that you should experiment with cooked veggies. I haven't roasted any myself, but they do sound good. Veggies in soup are great (look for the cheese soup recipe in the recipes section). I really love grilling veggies in the summer. The flavor to me is so rich and delicious. I'd eat them like that all the time, if the weather would cooperate!

I can't tolerate V8. I'm just not a fan. And...to this day....I do not like peas! :bcb_yuck:

As far as doing it alone, I have chosen to do so this time. I don't have an exercise buddy either, but I do have the BCB for support. I just feel that I have to do it for me, and I don't want anyone to sway me from my goal. In my experience I have found that buddies can deter as well as motivate.

:welcome: to BCB! Best of luck to you!

Our goals are only a decision away. cw:122

Thank you all so much for your replies. They reminded me that I one time tried fried zuccini and I really liked it. I think that I might of seen a less fat recipe in one of my WW cookbooks. I'm going to go hunting for that.

I also really like the broiling idea. Anything with lots of garlic has to be edible.

Most of all, I know that the big hurdle here is in my mind. I am well into adulthood now and I know that I need to eat more veggies not only for weight loss but also for overall health. I am just going to have to suck it up (like one of these very cool army icons:bcb_mad:) and try a few. Today I bought a sweet potato so tomorrow WW sweet potato sticks is on my menu.

Thanks again to all of you. There never seems enough time to bring up my little "veggie issue" at meetings as I don't want to monopolize the time."

BTW - it is very nice to meet you all!

I think squash would be a good choice for you, especially if you do like the sweet potato. For some reason squash tastes kind of sweet to me and more like a starch than a hard core veggie. Try some and see, and like the others said, try one or two new a week just to see. You might be surprised what you end up loving.

Starting weight 175.6

wwg- 137, made goal 5/30/08

Current weight 166.2

I hate squash and sweet potatoes with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. lol. Not kidding.

But I'll eat anything else. (I'll eat the squash and sweet potatoes if they are given to me on my plate, but I won't enjoy it).

It's all in how you look at it.

When I was little, my parents would have never let the pea incident fly. I would have had to eat my peas, and eat them at every meal without eating anything else at all until all of the peas were gone, whether it took 5 minutes or 5 days. No joke at all.

And now, as an adult, I will eat anything, if I am hungry, regardless of whether I like it or not. If you think about how much you hate a given food, and you can't stop thinking about it while you are eating it, it tastes worse. If you just suck it up and eat the food, don't think about it, wash it down with milk, you're fine.

Just wait, if you get hungry enough, you'll eat the veggies.

Sorry if I come across a little mean... I mean this IS bootcamp buddies, and we don't take any crap for any reason at all.

So suck it up and eat them. You ARE an adult. And they ARE ONLY vegetables.

Emily

Start date: 12/4/07

weight.png

I grew up on a farm with a 3 acre vegetable garden. No kidding. And that isn't counting the acres of corn. Needless to say, I have had a lot of vege's. However my mom added bacon grease, lard, oil, etc to every one of them so I didn't learn to eat them "healthy." Once I moved off the farm I swore I would never plant a garden and I haven't. However I know I need veggie's not only for the nutrients but to help fill me up.

I picked one at a time and alternated colors. Green veggie, then a yellow veggie then a red veggie. My favorite way is to eat them raw or to grill them on the grill outside.

I have found that I don't like a lot of foods the first time I try them. But after about 3 or 4 times, I develop a taste for them. I tried to jump from whole milk to skim. No way-could not stand it. So I switched to 2% then eventually to 1%. I didn't like whole wheat bread the first time I tried it but I decided to finish off the loaf and by the time I did that, I liked it.

I will eat your green peas if you will eat my squash-HA! I still haven't found a taste for that yet-but I am still trying. My mom battered it and fried it in bacon grease. Sort of defeats the purpose.

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

My mother and grandmothers added butter, lard, bacon grease, Crisco, etc to virtually everything they cooked! So although I love vegetables now, and eat a lot of them, I had to learn to eat them cooked entirely differently from the way I ate them growing up.

If as a child, I'd had vegetables cooked without all that fat, I wonder if I'd have ever had a weight problem to begin with!

Passionflower said - "Most of all, I know that the big hurdle here is in my mind. I am well into adulthood now and I know that I need to eat more veggies not only for weight loss but also for overall health. I am just going to have to suck it up (like one of these very cool army icons) and try a few. Today I bought a sweet potato so tomorrow WW sweet potato sticks is on my menu."

That is a WINNING ATTITUDE :bcb_up

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

NOTE: The smell of fresh/salt water fish makes me sick so maybe stay away from those bases. EEK - I know I am a mess!!!:bcb_sick:

You know, PF, this quote makes me think you are like me-extremely sensitive to smell. Do people's perfume bother you in public? Can you tell the milk has gone bad two days before anyone else? That's how I am. I too, had to learn to eat veggies and can only stomach fish when it is covered by a spicy smell such as garlic. I will never eat eggs by themselves as long as I live. They simply will not go down. It doesn't always have to do with "being an adult" and "sucking it up". (although trying with an adult attitude is important!)

And by the way, that soup certainly does count!

I second CW and NancyNY-V8, the veggies you do like, and fruit count. Stay away at first from strong smelling veggies like Brussel sprouts or anything that smells to you. Roast veggies-I like the roast SMELL more than the flavor! And my little trick-hold your nose when eating a veggie you don't like. It's still a chore but not gag-inducing!

Latebloomer