Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
OutdoorGyrl

Getting back to running...after sickness??

Hello,

Well, I've been training the last 2 1/2 months in a Learn To Run program, with a group of women at my gym, to do a 5k. The run is next Friday (Good Friday). I've been running faithfully 3-4 times a week and on Monday night I made it 30 minutes straight, or 4.5 km. :bcb_bigsm

THEN, I woke up Tuesday morning and was sick as a dog. :bcb_mad2 It knocked me out completely. After feeling horrible all day Tuesday and Wednesday with a sore throat, cough, and ear ache it got worse Wed. night, so I went to the Doctor yesterday, only to find out I have bronchitis and ear infections. He gave me an inhailer and antibiotics, which I started taking yesterday morning.

I am still feeling very tired, but slighly better than yesterday. I haven't done any exercise since Monday night and I have been used to doing some sort of workout 2-3 times per day for the last 4 1/2 months. I feel cooped out and all out of whack.

My question is, when is it safe to get back out there and to begin running again? I don't want to lose the momentum I've built and I want to run in this 5k next Friday, come h*ll or high water. I'm a new runner and am afraid if I "sit on my butt" too long, I will lose the ability that I've just recently gotten to run 30 minutes straight. The Doc said to have bed rest for 2-3 days and then see how I feel.

I'm thinking of going for a run/walk session tomorrow and stopping after I get tired and then picking up with the full training schedule on Monday night. We are scheduled to run Mon & Wed for 30 minutes straight and then do the actual 5k on Friday morning.

Any thoughts on how to get back into it, without making myself sicker in the process? BTW - My pharmasist said to go ahead and work out when I felt up to it and that it could actually speed up the healing process.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ann

Go for a walk. It will keep you moving, it will give you exercise you need and still low enough impact that you don't get awfully tired. If you feel up to it, walk every single day until you're completely back to normal.

Think Thin :bcb_march

Height: 5' 5.5"

SW:164 CW:164 GW:150

Any thoughts on how to get back into it, without making myself sicker in the process?
Ann, listen to your body. I've read this advice often:

But going back to being sick, there is a simple rule: if you’re sick from the neck up only then you can probably still run. If you’re sick from the neck down, then you absolutely should not run.

Sick from the neck up, would mean stuffy noses, sore throats, and head-colds.

Sick from the neck down, means fevers, body ache, stomach flus and any whole body illness. Any of these symptoms mean that your immune system is compromised and working hard to get you well. A workout will just set you back in your recovery.

In particular, you should never run with a fever. The risk of damage to your heart is a real issue and this could lead to life-long consequences.

In general, you should always listen to your body. If you’re sick, then you more than likely should take the time off to get better. I usually recommend that people wait until they are at least 80-90% back to their normal energy level before they return to running.

I've also read your fitness level doesn't decline for two weeks. Walking is a good alternative. Hope you feel better soon! :wave:

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone