Health Discovery Network
Guest divinroatan

Homemade taco seasoning - no sugar!

Guest divinroatan

A lot of the taco seasoning you find in the supermarket contain sugar. Here's a recipe for homemade taco seasoning without sugar. (I got it out of Dana Carpender's cookbook)

Taco Seasoning

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 ½ tablespoons cumin

1 ½ tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you want it)

Simply combine all ingredients, blending well, and store in an airtight

container. Use 2 tablespoons of this mixture to a pound of ground beef,

ground turkey, or chicken. This makes about 8 tablespoons, or 4 batches

worth.

And no MSG, either! :bcb_up

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

Thanks so much for posting this - when I try to wing it on something like this, I tend to overdo or underdo something :) I'm going to mix this up today.

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

I'm terrible at trying to wing taco seasoning too. I made this today and it smells very "taco-y" - can't wait to try it out later this week!

~ Pam ~

homeschooling mom to 3 girls

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

weight.png

Guest tinka

I have all these ingredients except onion powder. This will be good to have on hand, because sometimes I like to have just a small amount of taco flavoring in a recipe, so I usually did not want to use a whole taco seasoning envelope.

Thanks

Tinka

I used this tonight and was not impressed. It smelled great, but it didn't have much flavor. My husband thought it tasted like ground beef with a spicy after taste. I just re-checked the ingredients to make sure I didn't miss anything - but I didn't :bcb_confu I ended up adding some salt and taco sauce to boost the flavor a bit, but it's still not quite right.

~ Pam ~

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

weight.png

I have the same recipe except mine has 4 1/2 t. cumin and 5 t. paprika and it tastes great. Sometimes I grind a little black pepper into it as it's cooking. I hope this helps so you don't have to go back to the packets!

Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it. ~Author Unknown

weight.png

:bcb_march

Do you mean 4 1/2 and 5 teaspoons or tablespoons?

I'll try adding some more cumin and paprika to what I have left and see if that helps. It smells fabulous, but there's just not enough flavor for me - and that's saying something because most MILD flavored taco sauces are too spicey for me!

Thanks for the help!!!

~ Pam ~

weight.png

I meant teaspoons! Sometimes I forget that not everyone is a big recipe geek/junkie like me and doesn't know tons of silly trivial abbreviations. I spent way too many years cooking in restaurants :bcb_bigsm

Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it. ~Author Unknown

weight.png

:bcb_march

LOL No I knew that a lower case t meant teaspoon - I just wanted to double check since the original recipe is 1 1/2 T cumin and paprika which is nearly 4 teaspoons already. Thanks for your help! I'll definitely try boosting those two ingredients a bit and see if that helps.

~ Pam ~

weight.png