Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
10more2lose

My soups are blahhh

I bought a 9 grain soup mix (basically a bunch of 9 different grains thrown together). It didn't have any seasoning. Lately I feel that my soups are very boring. They taste the same. Any ideas to make them yummy are appreciated.

Think Thin :bcb_march

Height: 5' 5.5"

SW:164 CW:164 GW:150

I buy a 9 bean soup mix, and make it at my play area cafe. I saute carrot, onion, garlic, celery & peppers in a little olive oil, than add canned tom amtoes, the beans & veg stock. I season with mixed dried herbs, pepper & Worcestershire sauce. I don't add salt until the end, to tast first.

I make curried carrot - a basic carrot soup but when I saute the carrots & onions I add curry powder! I make carrot & ginger too - using the jar prepared fresh ginger.

Tomato soup can be spiced up with some Worcestshire sauce & Tabasco.

I made parsnip, carrot & pear last week - yummy!

I find that although I don't usually add salt to food, I need to add to soups (unless the stock is salty), I also use lots of fresh ground black pepper!

Have fun experimenting!

I make some kind of soup almost every weekend. And they are never the same because I never use a recipe. But they always start out the same-lots of sauteed onions, some carrots and celery. Then I just starting adding things, whatever's in my fridge. But some ideas: Lately my favourite spices are chili powder and cumin, added to a tomato based soup. I like to use crushed tomatoes rather than diced tomatoes.

Also, using ff evaporated milk to a chicken soup, add some corn and you've got a nice chowder. soups without tomatoes usually get lots of ground thyme and sage.

And almost every soup gets some barley, lentils or brown rice.

HOpe that helps!! :)

SW 165

CW 140

reached goal and staying there!!