Health Discovery Network
sassy_sarah

Really Yummy Falafel

Since I started WW I have a goal of one vegetarian meal a week. In my never ending search for good CORE food I modified this recipe at http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/231755

I omitted the flour and baked them using olive oil instead of frying them. It was really good and I did not even miss the tahina

1 cup soaked dried chickpeas

1/2 large onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro

1 teaspoon salt

1/2-1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper

4 cloves of garlic

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon baking powder

5 tsp olive oil. (this recipe makes about 20 balls, four big servings)

Mix all the ingredients in a food processor until you get a ground corn meal consistency. It should be gritty, not purée.

With a spoon (I use a small one) scoop out the mix into walnut size scoops and put on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil spray. Spray the falafel nuggets with more olive oil.

Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown and the mix is dry in the middle. They will be a little crumbly so handle carefully out of oven.

I like these in a low point pita or a Flat Out with my fat free yogurt sauce (see my gyros recipe on the board), onion, and tomato and grilled mushrooms.

These look terrific. I've never made falafel, so I just want to make sure... you only soak the chick peas, but not cook them?

Thanks

SW 165

CW 140

reached goal and staying there!!

Yep these are dried garbanzo beans soaked overnight or at least 6 hours. I will sometimes set them out before I leave for work and make them when I get home...

I tried to do it with canned beans and they are too mushy...more like bean dip patties lol...still sorta good though...

Okey dokey. It's 6:45am now, I'll put them out now and make them for dinner. Thanks a million!!!

SW 165

CW 140

reached goal and staying there!!

Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefood Cuisine has "baked" falafel version that I have tried and liked.

"Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern street food, akin to our hotdog. It is composed of chick-pea fritters stuffed into pita bread, topped with shredded salad and bathed in a tangy sesame-seed sauce."

The tahini sauce is the only thing that would require counting points, for the tahini ( combined with garlic/salt/lemon juice/water).

Falafel

3 C. cooked chickpeas, drained and ground

1 tsp. salt (omit if beans are well salted)

1/8 tsp. cayenne

1 TBS. minced parsley

1 tsp. minced garlic

1 TBS. wheat germ

2 eggs, lightly beaten

Oil, to oil baking pan

Combine all ingredients except the oil and mix thoroughly, Shape into 24 balls, about 1" in diameter, and flatten slightly.

Variation (instead of frying): Can be baked in an oiled baking pan in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes until browned. For a crisp surface, loosen from pan and shake during baking.

Menu suggestions: Great with Taboulli or Israeli salad or baba ghanouj for an appetizer, served with an array of condiments including olives, hot pickled peppers and other marinated vegetables.

All very compatible with Simply Filling foods! :bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Thanks Carol! I found a almost completely Core package of falafel at Costco and figured that I could make them myself-- both less expensive as well as completely Core!!

Kimberley

I just posted WW's "Eating On Less Than $6 A Day" on BCB's Daily...It might say something you would be interested in, Kimberley~ :wave:

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Hi Sassi,

I am going to try this one! I miss falafel, and used to make a baked version when I was doing Dean Ornish's thing, about 10 years ago. I can't wait to try your recipe!

weight.png

weight.png