Health Discovery Network
ediesbeads

Kid friendly weight watchers meals?

I was reading the thread on diet vs. lifestyle change. I realize one reason I stopped doing the ww thing after I reached goal last time was because it was very difficult to find point friendly food that my whole family would eat on a regular basis. I got WAY tired of baked chicken and salad. Spagetti worked a little, but my kids didn't like big chunks of veggies in the sauce, so I ended up making two types of sauce. Beans were out as a family... my dd gags on anything with beads. So anything with beans became hotdog night for the kids. Big salad? Hot dog night for the kids... Spicy curried chicpeas... hot dog or frozen pizza night for the kids. BLAH! It was bad for the kids, and irksome for me to cook two separate things all the time.

So I need good ideas for family friendly WW fair BESIDES chicken and salad! LOL! We have that at least once a week if not more often!

Thanks!

Edie:bcb_wink3

Deep-Dish Pizza Casserole and Ole Mac & Cheese on the Pizza & Pasta forum on this site...you might have to change the display options (maybe to Last 2 months) to see the mac&cheese.

B.

weight.png

I don't know if it would work for you, but I make alot of our meals in the crock-pot and everything cooks down so well that most times it's tough for anyone but me to know exactly what's in the meal. I'm able to get more veggies in my very picky 17y.o. that way - and the veggies she can see, she just pushes off to the side.

~Kristi~

I was also going to suggest Ole Mac and Cheese. It is a once-a-week meal at our house. It is also pretty cost friendly and I usually have all the ingredients. Yummy. My daughter also likes mini pizzas made on 1 point english muffins. I let her cut out 2% cheese slices into shapes (She had christmas trees during the Holidays) and put a little tomato/pizza sauce, cheese, and canadian bacon. When I make something my daughter absolutely will not eat, I make some whole wheat pasta and put a cheese slice in it for a pretty healthy mac and cheese for her. I also pulverize any veggies I add to soups or sauces and she never knows they are there. I have been making baked spaghetti. I use individual pie plates for each person. I put one serving of pasta, an egg white, a serving of sauce and then add veggies as preferred by each person and then bake for 30 minutes. I then sprinkle with cheese. Everyone loves this. Good luck finding options for your family. It can be very trying.

Jina

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as long as we are here we might as well dance! - Andy Rooney

weight.png

Can someone point me to a thread with the recipe for Ole Mac N Cheese? When I try to search it doesn't like the three letter word.

Thanks!

Edie

Now is the time to teach your children to eat a wide a variety of foods so they don't have weight problems themselves. Let your child choose a new fruit or veggies to try at the supermarket, let them help in the prep. They are more apt to be receptive. I wouldn't feed hot dogs to a dog let alone a child. They are full of sodium and nitrates and strange animal parts. My motto is if it isn't good for me it isn't for the rest of the family either.

Susan<br /><br />356/155/166

Success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.

Guest neenee4686

When I have my goddaughters one weekend a month (they are 4 and 2) I make a few things

∙ Chicken fingers (99% ff skinless chicken breast strips, extra crispy shake and bake, salt & pepper) with a kid-friendly veggie like corn on the cob. (I use calorie free honey mustard dressing to dip, the kids use sweet and sour or ketchup

∙ Pizza (wheat dough, lite sauce & cheese, and sneak some veggies on top!!)

∙ Turkey kielbasa (I make it with beans, which is obv a no-go at your house)

∙ Shake and bake pork chops with apples and cinnamon on top

∙ Ole mac and cheese

Olé Mac & Cheese

8 oz ground beef (at least 90% lean)

1 cup chunky salsa

¾ cup water

3 oz uncooked elbow macaroni

3 oz Cabot 75% cheddar

¼ cup non-fat sour cream

In a large skillet misted with olive oil, brown the ground beef. Add in salsa and water; bring to a boil. Add uncooked macaroni. Mix well to combine. Low heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until macaroni is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese and sour cream. Continue cooking until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through.

Serves 4 1-cup servings @ 4 Points Per Serving

Or.. how about giving us a list of your kids favorite recipes and we could help you make them WW friendly???

Oooo..I love the idea of our attempting to modify your kids' favorite dishes. :)

It's funny, I don't remember eating anything different than the family meal - although my mom often ate something different b/c she was on WW...

Meals my kids (ages 3.5 and 22 months) enjoy include homemade mac 'n cheese (whole wheat pasta and real cheese), pasta w/meat sauce (use a lean ground beef and you can eat it - and you can puree veggies so the kids don't notice any chunks), chicken fingers (chicken tenderloins with bread crumbs/parm cheese/italian seasoning coating, baked), and even a WW recipe I got for Indian-style chicken (chicken thighs marinated in a yogurt sauce and baked) - seriously - my almost-2-year-old asked for the Indian chicken for breakfast the other day when I made it in the morning before going to work... OH - they also LOVE pasta with pesto sauce - that's usually not the main meal but they love it. (I get Amore pesto paste and use about a tbsp of that in the pasta.) I can fit most "real" meals into WW fairly well, with a little planning (and a light lunch).

Their age does affect things though - I know you can just say "they'll eat what I eat" (and it works) but it can be stressful if the kids don't touch anything but bread or pasta for dinner...

Oh - on hot dogs - I found a nitrate-free one at Trader Joe's that I'll occasionally (maybe once a month, if that) let my kids have. As for animal parts, well, I grew up eating things like tripe and tongue so I guess I'm not that picky, although I guess I should be...

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

I try to serve meals everyone will eat, but sometimes, if I know I'm making something DD1 doesn't like, I'll let her have PB&J instead. We insist she at least tries a bite of what we're having, even if she's tried it before, but usually, we can just make what we're having more plain for her, and she's fine that way.

One of my favorite dinners lately is simmering fish in a mixture of sauteed spinach, canned diced tomatoes (undrained), garlic, evoo, and small white beans (sometimes mushrooms too, but not very often b/c DH dislikes them). DD1 won't eat the spinach/tomato mix, but if we scrape it all off her piece of fish, she will eat that, and we just let her have plain grape tomatoes on the side instead.

If we're having pasta with chunky sauce, I'll make some white pasta to mix into her whole wheat, and let her have it plain instead of with sauce, as long as she eats a veggie on the side.

:salut Karen

Mom to 2 girls (Jun. '03 & May '07)

LT Member -- Lost 55 lb. in 2001

HW (12/2000)....182.2

PP (5/2007).......172

Recommit..........164

Current.............160.5 (-3.5)

Goal.................137

Edies, I read on a separate thread that your kids are 9, 7 and 2. I agree trying to get the 2-year-old to eat what you prepare might be a challenge, but IMO, the other kids are old enough to eat what you serve for the family. It's totally fair and appropriate to tell your kids that your house is not a restaurant, and although you're not going to force them to swallow food they say they don't like, you're not going to prepare a separate meal for them either. They won't starve. Maybe you can have them pick a meal or two a week? Or they can pick lunch but they eat what you serve at dinner? (I read that you homeschool them.) This way, they wont' feel as though they have NO choice in the matter, but you still won't drive yourself nuts. :)

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

I agree calgal! This is and always has been a problem in our house. I'm mighty tired of being a short order cook. Part of my weight problem has been caused by my lack of desire to cook things healthy for all of us and listening to the whining and complaining. I will strive to find more WW friendly fare that appeals to the masses. And being stronger about saying, if you don't like it, go make yourself a cheese sandwich or something along those lines. I'm hoping things will be a little easier with more time for me to cook and find recipes this summer. DH is a professor with the summer off, which gives me more free time. Wish us luck!

Edie

Guest LostButNowAmFound
When I have my goddaughters one weekend a month (they are 4 and 2) I make a few things

∙ Chicken fingers (99% ff skinless chicken breast strips, extra crispy shake and bake, salt & pepper) with a kid-friendly veggie like corn on the cob. (I use calorie free honey mustard dressing to dip, the kids use sweet and sour or ketchup

∙ Pizza (wheat dough, lite sauce & cheese, and sneak some veggies on top!!)

∙ Turkey kielbasa (I make it with beans, which is obv a no-go at your house)

∙ Shake and bake pork chops with apples and cinnamon on top

∙ Ole mac and cheese

Olé Mac & Cheese

8 oz ground beef (at least 90% lean)

1 cup chunky salsa

¾ cup water

3 oz uncooked elbow macaroni

3 oz Cabot 75% cheddar

¼ cup non-fat sour cream

In a large skillet misted with olive oil, brown the ground beef. Add in salsa and water; bring to a boil. Add uncooked macaroni. Mix well to combine. Low heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until macaroni is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese and sour cream. Continue cooking until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through.

Serves 4 1-cup servings @ 4 Points Per Serving

Or.. how about giving us a list of your kids favorite recipes and we could help you make them WW friendly???

Those are some awesome ideas that I can try with my kiddos...I especially love the chicken fingers with the shake and bake.:bcb_smile

My kids love chicken fingers made with crushed cornflakes - way less sodium thant shake & bake type products.

We've eaten only whole wheat pasta for about 3 years now. I switched the kids to start with by serving wholewheat spaghetti - the meat sauce hides the colour of the pasta! I always use turkey or chicken for spaghetti sauce. Now my boys wilkl eat wholewheat pasta with just cheese on - and have never complained about the colour!

I made things like cottage pie for all of us, again using ground chicken or turkey.

Roast chicken is a family favourite, as well as pork loin in the slow cooker.

My boys are 6 & 8, the only day of the week we eat different meals is Saturday night, the boys get a treat (like pizza or chicken strips) & DH & I have 'date night' - a movie & a curry or fajitas. My boys can be fussy eaters, and a few years back I found myself cooking dinner for them & dinner for us - i realised that was not a great plan so stoped & enforced rules about tyring food, and helping to choose some of the weekly meals.

Edie ~ We have lots of food allergies floating around my house, so cooking is already tough before adding in WW meals to complicate matters. What works best for me, is to be careful about what I eat for breakfast, lunch and snacks and then I can just make a "normal" dinner for the family. I use whole wheat pasta and low fat or fat free products when applicable, but I still basically make the same foods I've always made and then watch portions and add a side salad or extra veggies to even things out a bit. I try a couple of new WW meals every few weeks and some make it into our regular rotation while others don't.

My girls are about the same age as your kids (9, 6 and 3) and we spend a lot of time talking about healthy eating and the importance and FUN of trying new foods. Our new mantra (which I borrowed from another BCB buddy) is "It's my job to feed you - your job to eat." In other words, I get to pick the meals and they decide if they want to eat them. They have to try everything, but they can choose how much of everything they want to eat. OH I do let them eat leftovers if I make something that DH & I love and I know they hate (like meatloaf) - but they mainly eat what we are eating.

~ Pam ~

homeschooling mom to 3 girls

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

weight.png