Health Discovery Network
ajobrien

Is Walking Enough?

Hi guys,

I've started walking 4 km (3.2 miles) everyday. Is this enough exercise to encourage weight loss. Should I be doing something else too?

Amy

SW/CW/GW

248.4/224/125

Exercise was the topic at last weeks meeting. We were told that ideally you want to build muscle, which increases metabolism and in turn burns fat, even at rest. The best exercise regimen will therefore include aerobic activity combined with weight training/toning, and stretching/yoga to help prevent injury.

Walking is a great start, and wonderful if that's all a person is capable of because some movement is better than nothing, but eventually you're going to want to expand on it. Just walking will help shed pounds for a short time, but your body will become accustomed to it and at some point it will no longer be enough.

~Kristi~

Just to let you know, 4km is 2.4 miles.

I'm doing a good bit of walking at the moment too. I think any kind of activity is good for shedding lbs and then once you've done that you can concentrate on toning up. I'm not sure how good an idea that is, but it's my plan anyway! I'm going for lying on the couch every night to walking every second night or so has to be good!!

- Rach

193/164/156

weight.png

It is a great start. What I found was that as I lost weight and built activity tolerance, I had to change and/or increase demand during my exercise. My MD recommended interval training as a more efficient use of my time and it made a dramatic difference. I have a wonderful dog who will pull me into my target heart range and then heel during the rest period. I dropped 20 pounds with this. But then weight loss slowed down again and I joined the fitness center and am now doing weight training and cario on the bike. It, again, led to increasing weight loss from .5# per week to 1.5#. I bought a heart rate monitor and discovered that what I thought were demanding exercise tapes no longer increased my heart rate. I now notice that my dear dog is not tolerating my more intensive walking and I have retired her to walks in the for playdates.

marge

SW: 206

GW: 146

CW: 166. 8:bcb_march

40#: 2/5; 45# 4/1; 50# 4/29

weight.png

It's ALL good. Why do you suppose that WW has adopted the slogan "Move More"? Because anything you do now that you didn't do before is going to help.

Also, the best thing to do is whatever you'll continue to do. It has to fit into your daily schedule and be enjoyable. If not, you'll find reasons to skip it and doing nothing is the only thing that doesn't help.

You know, boiling it down to the simplest form like Move More says a lot. NIKE used to have a similar simplistic slogan "Just do it!" because whatever "it" is that's what works.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

I truly believe walking is the best exercise there is. Because you can do it ANYWHERE, just about ANYTIME. Is it "enough?" Well, only you will know. Everyone should be getting at least 30 minutes of aerobic activity "most days of the week," according to our surgeon general. And, according to the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine), we should also all be weight/resistance training at least once a week for about 30 minutes (whole-body workout).

Weight loss is a journey, often a long one (for most of us). Keep up the walking, for sure. Next, try to add some form of weight training once a week. After that, see how your weight loss goes. We all hit slowdowns, even plateaus, and at these times, you'll have to make adjustments - either in what you are eating, or your exercise routine.

Every person will need to find a balance between eating, exercising, and our other activities. Much will hinge on your own unique goals. As some people get into the exercise habit and feel capable (and desirous) of accomplishing more, they set ever more challenging fitness goals. Some of us decide exercise is like brushing our teeth - a necessary habit, but not something we want to spend more time on than required.

Personally, I recommend to my clients that they try to get their heart rate into a training zone (60-80% of HRmax) for at least 20 minutes, 3 times a week, as part of their aerobic program. This helps "tune" your cardiorespiratory system, and thus lowers your risk for many health problems. After awhile, walking will not be enough to get your heart rate up this high. This is why so many of us turn to treadmills, ellipticals, running, and the like. (Of course, even walking at an easy pace is still good overall exercise). In addition, you should definitely do weight/resistance training at least once a week.

In the end, the best exercise routine for you is one you can stick with over the long term. And it may take some time to figure out what works.

Good luck,

Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Amy,

Walking is all I've done for the past 165 lbs I've lost !!! Just make sure you've got a good supportive walking shoe. I must admit that I now need to get into some strength training to build some muscle.

HERE WE GO AGAIN !! :bcbkickbu

STGoal #1: 200 lbs

Losses to date: 8.3 lbs

I lost almost all my weight with WATP tapes. I didn't pick up weights till after I was at WW goal. That being said, I wish I had starting with weights sooner but walking is great exercise and you certainly can lose weight with walking and a healthy diet like WW.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189