Health Discovery Network
Red Sox Fan

I hope I'm welcome back - I need bootcamp

Hello friends,

I'm a long-time member of this site (longer than my current username indicates), but back in 2001, when I went from 182.2 to 125, I did it 100% the BCB way. After I had my first daughter, I really struggled with staying OP, and never lost all the PG weight before I had DD2 last May. I had lost some of the baby weight, but over the holidays, a lot of what I had lost came right back as a result of the poor choices I made.

I'm still struggling to get my head back into the OP mindset, and trying to remember OMOHOD, and "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" but it's been much harder for me with the stress of being a working mom than it was before I had kids.

I alternate between thinking I look OK, so it doesn't matter if I stay OP, to being totally disgusted with myself, and beating myself up for going off-P. I hate the head-games that I can see that I'm playing with myself, and since it's been hard for me to get to a regular meeting lately, I've realized I need to come back to the BCB way.

I hope I'm welcome back, and I'd welcome any & all advice (or kicks) to help get me (and the scale) moving in the right direction.

I just had an annual physical & cholesterol screening, and I'm happy to report that my blood pressure is great, and my total cholesterol, bad cholesterol, and triglycerides are all ideal, so I'm not facing any huge health risks from carrying this extra weight. My HDL (good cholesterol) is low though. It's only 36, and should be above 50. The results letter I got from the Dr.'s office said "aerobic activity can increase this number". One of my problems is that I don't have any time to set aside for activity though. I've always relied on things like taking the stairs, and parking in the furthest spot available to meet my minimum activity quota, which I've known for a long time isn't enough.

I'm hoping that with spring finally here, I'll be able to take the kids for some long walks before dinner, but any advice on how this WOHM can get more activity would be helpful too. My current routine is to wake up @ 4:30/5:00 a.m. (I nurse my DD2), then help get the kids dressed, and get myself dressed & out the door by 7:15 to get to work by 8:30. I take a short working lunch, b/c I also take 2-3 breaks during the day to pump milk, and I leave work @ 4:30 to pick the kids up from daycare before 6:00, so the rest of my day is swamped, plus I've already used up all my permitted breaks. When I get home around 6:15, I usually just open mail and start dinner, then have to clean up, get the kids to bed (with DH's help), and nurse DD2. By then, it's 9:00/9:30, and I'm dead tired. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm making excuses, but honestly, I don't know where I can fit in more activity, except maybe before dinner, but it would have to account for taking care of both kids while I do it, since DH doesn't get home until 6:45.

Anyway, thanks in advance if I'm welcome back, and like I said, I'm open to any & all advice, kicks, or words or encouragement. :bcb_worry

*p.s. Back when I was a regular here, I think my name was jandkb, and I used to post mostly on the 20's board, if anyone remembers me. As RedSoxFan, I posted mostly on the mom's board, and on the leader's board (I became a WW leader in '05, but haven't led any meetings since DD2 was born, and won't until I'm back at least to a healthy weight for my height).

:salut Karen

Mom to 2 girls (Jun. '03 & May '07)

LT Member -- Lost 55 lb. in 2001

HW (12/2000)....182.2

PP (5/2007).......172

Recommit..........164

Current.............160.5 (-3.5)

Goal.................137

Welcome Back!! You made the right choice to come back. Since finding this website, I have stayed OP more than ever. Now everyday certainly is not perfect, but I think reporting my progress to others helps me want to have good op days.

As far as activity. Walk Away The Pounds with Leslie Sansone. Her DVD's are the best. A 2 mile walk only takes 30 minutes and it is such a great workout. Plus your oldest daughter will probably find it fun to do it with you. My DD age 10 and my cousin's daughter age 6 do it with me and LOVE it!!!

Good luck on your journey and check out a WATP DVD!!

Meg

HW 6/07-290

SW - 260

7/09 - 167

CW - 203

Goal - 180

weight.png

How about starting out by exercising on the weekends for now? That would be a good start. Then when you are past the pumping stage, you would be able to increase your activity on weekdays using your pumping time.

Good luck!

I was right there with you until recently (mine were born 2004 and 2006) - my schedule was about the same, too (waking at 4:30, leaving work at 4:30 to get home by 6, dinner, etc - and sheer exhaustion by 9). I like the idea of a video at home, or even doing crunches or other strength exercises for 30 minutes in front of the tv at night. Even marching in place is *something*.

Can your hubby pick up the kids once or twice a week to give you some time during the day/in the evening to exercise?

Disclaimer: I really did nothing to exercise until about a year ago, after I had stopped pumping so had time during the day to take a walk or something like that.

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

I'm not saying this is the case for you since your schedule sounds so grueling, but I read an article the other day about exercise and exhaustion. The author said that many days he feels utterly exhausted but forces himself to exercise and has found that it's often his BRAIN that is so tired while his body seems up to the workout. Maybe you're mentally worn out by your day, but your body still has enough juice to make it through a Walk Away the Pounds workout??? Just a thought.

My only other suggestion would be to aim low. Plan to walk in place for ONLY 15 minutes while you watch something on TV and then see if you feel up to going more. If not, fine because you met your goal. If so, GREAT because you are exceeding your goal. Try this for a week or two and then think about increasing it to 20 minutes, etc.

**My disclaimer ~ this advice is coming from a reforming couch potato

~ Pam ~

homeschooling mom to 3 girls

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

weight.png

Thanks. I suppose I could try to stay awake for even 15 minutes of activity after both kids are in bed. I'm afraid to do too much right before bed though, b/c even if my body can take it, I'm nervous it might get my heart going and wake me up TOO much, if that makes any sense, and if that happens, I'd have a hard time falling asleep, and then a hard time getting up @ 4:30 the next day, KWIM?

Any ideas on how to get back in the 100% OP mindset for following a food plan too? :bcb_confu

When I made LT in '01, I never specifically exercised, but following the food plan 100% made for nice steady losses. I'm having a hard time getting back to that, and I know if I can get that right, I can worry more about activity when I quit pumping (prob. another month or so)?

:salut Karen

Mom to 2 girls (Jun. '03 & May '07)

LT Member -- Lost 55 lb. in 2001

HW (12/2000)....182.2

PP (5/2007).......172

Recommit..........164

Current.............160.5 (-3.5)

Goal.................137

Welcome back! For me, I find Monday through Friday, the days I am at work, are MUCH easier to be OP than on the weekends or days that I am home. I pack my "food bag" every morning with my b-fast, lunch and a couple of snacks and if it isn't in the bag, I don't eat it. I always pack at least 2 fruits, a crunchy type 1-3 point snack, a 3-4 pt breakfast and a 4-6 pt lunch, always including lots of 0 point veggies (either baby carrots, or garden veggie soup if I have had time to make it over the weekend or sugar snap peas - anything I can pack quickly). For dinner I always portion meat and freeze it so in the morning before I leave, I grab a package out of the freezer so it's ready to go when I get home. I usually have 10 points or so for dinner which is usually more than enough since I have already portioned out the meat. And I know that I have a weakness for dessert, so I always leave 2-3 points for something sweet after dinner. Weekends are much harder, but for work days, the key for me is planning. Not planning WAAAAY ahead, just that morning. DH helps dress the kids in the morning and I get all the food ready. The other thing I do to help with time management, is when I shop, I try to portion things out into neat baggies or containers and put a little sticker with the points values. It makes it easy when I pack my food bag in the morning to grab a 2 point baggie of pretzels (for example), a 1 point container of strawberries, a 1 pt orange, a 3 pt ww muffin for b-fast, etc. I don't even really have to think too much about it.

Good luck!!

Slow and Steady.....

Starting weight: 149

Current weight: 133.6

Goal Weight: 125

weight.png

Guest Christen83

What about 15 minutes of exercising with your oldest daughter right before dinner. Put on some music and dance like fools, run around, play tag, just get moving & have fun, it doesn't have to be structured exercise to count as activity. You could even hold DD2 for some added weight while you dance to get her in on the fun and burn extra calories. And then maybe 15 minutes of relaxing exercise before bed like a yoga or pilates video.

I remember how time sucking nursing can be! But it is an awesome thing to do for your daughter!

I wonder how crunched your morning time is? Does your DD go back to sleep after you nurse early? Would you have time to fit in a quick 1 mile walk away the pounds with Leslie Sansone? I love her 1 miles. They take about 15 minutes, and are great to get the blood pumping in the morning. It really give me energy, then it feels great to get in the shower after a cool down while eating breakfast.

Alternatively, I agree with the poster who recommended weekend workouts. It's certianly better than nothing, and will work well if you have a supportive hubby who will take care of any kid emergencies during the excercies.

I homeschool my kids (9, 6, and 2) and usually I can do Walk Away the Pounds while I'm at home with them... but occasionally kids emergencies interupt my session. The other day I got to the very middle and most active part of a 2 mile walk and had to stop cold turkey to deal with a screaming 2 year old! AUGH! She WILL get older, and things will get better!

Hang in there! It will get easier!

Edie

Bump for Amy!

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

Hi. Know what you mean about the kids. Are there stairs at your work? If yes, what about doing 50 flights during a pre-lunch workout. Maybe delay your coffee break till 11 am, then do the stairs and eat and shower.

I used to do flights of stairs at home when my kid was still a napper. It would take me 25 minutes to do 50 flights. I would go to the basement and then climb to 2nd floor and go back down to basement and repeat. I would do this anywhere from 15 to 25 repeats (or 30 to 50 flights) depending on my fitness. If you're not currently exercising, then you'll be winded after 10 flights, sweating after 20 and possibly into shaky legs by 30 flights. This is enough to get your heart rate up fast. The only down side is that you likely will need a shower if you have to interact with clients at work. But it is super quick and very effective. I think there are some website that will track your flights for you too.

Mowho33

SW(Dec07)212.5

:bcb_yuck:

CW(July 2010)165

:bcb_grrrr

weight.png

Wow, I don't have kids, so I don't know how you are managing to do all that you do! I think in your shoes, I wouldn't even worry about exercise right now, just stay OP. You'll probably look back on these days as among the best, but right now it must be overwhelming. Use this as a time to train your body to like OP eating, especially since your now an example to two little people. When the nursing stops you can add more activity then. Lillie