Health Discovery Network
GulfCoastAmy

What grain(s) should I start with?

I'm am new to core and need to start incorporating grains into my diet. Up until this point I have never tried cous cous, bulgar, barley or any of the others (except oats) and due to a tight grocery budget I can't afford to buy and try them all right off the bat. Any suggestions on what to start with? I will probably try a new one each week and go from there.

Thanks!

Amy

:crazy:

SW 189.5 *~* CW 183.5 *~* GW 145

Hi Amy, The two grains I eat the most, beside oats, are Brown Rice and Bulgar. There are some good recipes around here. I like the ones that take the least prep time. The website below is a good source for basics and will tell you more than you ever want to know about grains. Good luck!:bcb_kick:

http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/

I didn't even think about prep time, but yes - anything quick and easy is best for me, lol. Also - where do I find grains in the store (I'm guessing with rice?).

Thanks!

Amy

You'll probably find the best variety of grains in a health food store, a shelf of bags of different grains.

Peg

Couscous is very mild flavored and easy to prepare - but be sure you buy whole wheat couscous, as otherwise it's not CORE.

The most nutritious is quinoa, but it's a little harder to find, and takes a little bit longer to prepare. A Google search will turn up lots of instructions and recipes.

I like Wheatena Whole Wheat cereal - which has to be cooked. I keep some cooked, stored in the fridge, and add some to my rolled oats at breakfast. It should be in the grocery store near all the cooked oat cereal.

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

To me, barley tastes the most "white".

Couscous is the quickest cooking.

Health food stores have the cheapest prices, too.

If you're looking for cheap, you can get texturized vegetable protein (TVP) there.

Just reheat in chicken (or whatever) broth and let it sit in the fridge overnight for best texture.

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

Guest Christen83

CousCous is my favorite. Quick and you can do anything with it.

I'm not a fan of Bulgar.

Thanks everyone. There's health food store right around the corner from my house (and I've never been in it - shame on me!). I'm going to check it out this weekend!

Amy

I always have some cooked grain in the fridge, so cooking time is not something I really think about. When I am running low I will cook some up when I am in the kitchen even if I don't need it for that meal.

"Hunger is the best sauce"

my Mom

I love pearl barley!

I cook it "al dente", then I rinse it under cold water.

It keeps up to a week in the fridge, so I usually make a big batch.

It is also very inexpensive. :)

CW ~ 153

GW ~ 130

PEACE

"I'm already against the next war."

I always have some cooked grain in the fridge, so cooking time is not something I really think about. When I am running low I will cook some up when I am in the kitchen even if I don't need it for that meal.

I'm doing the same - it's so easy then to add it to just about anything!

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

I love barley best and think it an easy one to accept if you are looking for new experiences. It adds a creaminess to a dish and to me is a real comfort food. And it is so nutritious.

marge

SW: 206

GW: 146

CW: 166. 8:bcb_march

40#: 2/5; 45# 4/1; 50# 4/29

weight.png

Well gosh - now I want to try them all like, right now! I still haven't decided which to add to the diet this week. I guess we'll see what inspires me when I go shopping. I like the idea of cooking it ahead of time and storing it in the fridge - that will make life SO much easier.

You ladies are a great bunch - thanks!

Amy

I know that you didn't specifically ask for ideas on how to eat already-cooked grains, but since you're just getting started I'll offer some. This week's favourite of mine is hulled barley, which is what they call whole-grain barley.

- heat some in the microwave, drizzle with olive oil and top with a pan-fried egg. The yolk makes sort of a sauce for the barley. I have this nearly every day for breakfast. Much tastier than toast!

- cold or hot as a breakfast cereal with cinnamon, sweetener and milk. This is also nice to finish up a light soup meal, where otherwise you might have had a sandwich in addition to your soup.

- add leftover cooked chopped vegetables and meat, and heat. Olive oil and/or salsa are a nice addition.

- mix in with any type of bean dish (chili, curried lentils)

- add to a soup to give the soup a bit more substance

- sprinkle it on a green salad - looks nice and is sort of the same idea as sprinkling nuts or croutons on your salad

I couldn't live without my grains!

my Mom

My first "new" grain to try was bulgur. I don't like brown rice too much (texture thing) and when WWCarol described what bulgur tasted like (nutty, softer, like broken brown ric)e I went to the health food store and bought about 1 cup or less because I was scared I wouldn't like it. I LOVED IT!

I cook bulgur (like the coarse ground best of all...comes in medium and fine, too) in Better than Boullion soup base, chicken usually, mixed according to directions. I think it makes a HUGE difference. I also throw in a pinch of kosher salt. (Let water and seasonings come to boil so the BTB can dissolve, put in bulgur, bring to boil and then let simmer on low for 20 minutes.. 2:1 water to bulgur mix.

I keep a big zip loc box in the fridge of that and cooked wheatberries (VERY GOOD, cooked in just salted water for 90 minutes....bring to boil, let simmer medium low for 90 minutes, rinse, keep in fridge) No measurements on the wheatberries to water, just make sure you have plenty of water and you can drain off the excess.

I do the below (from Marilyn's post) with bulgur and/or wheatberries.

heat some in the microwave, drizzle with olive oil and top with a pan-fried egg. The yolk makes sort of a sauce for the barley. I have this nearly every day for breakfast. Much tastier than toast!

- cold or hot as a breakfast cereal with cinnamon, sweetener and milk. This is also nice to finish up a light soup meal, where otherwise you might have had a sandwich in addition to your soup.

- add leftover cooked chopped vegetables and meat, and heat. Olive oil and/or salsa are a nice addition.

- mix in with any type of bean dish (chili, curried lentils)

- add to a soup to give the soup a bit more substance

- sprinkle it on a green salad - looks nice and is sort of the same idea as sprinkling nuts or croutons on your salad

If your health food store has grains in bulk, then you're in luck...you can just buy a bit of this and that and give them a try!

I will say this...food pricing has definitely gone up for these grains. Wheatberries, at my health food store, went from .79 lb to 1.69lb in about a month. :bcb_grrrr

P.S. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cold wheatberries mixed in with ff plain yogurt, partially defrosted blueberries/black cherries, cinnamon, splenda, 1 tsp flaxseed oil and topped with fiber one cereal. HEAVEN. Even more heavenly when you can add in a fresh peach with the blueberries....

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD

I LOVE LOVE LOVE cold wheatberries mixed in with ff plain yogurt, partially defrosted blueberries/black cherries, cinnamon, splenda, 1 tsp flaxseed oil and topped with fiber one cereal. HEAVEN. Even more heavenly when you can add in a fresh peach with the blueberries....
This sounds mouthwateringly good!

I saw an interesting photo of a dessert in a decorating magazine. Unfortunately no recipe was included but it was more about the food presentation. It was a whole pear, poached in red wine (and probably a bit of sugar/sweetener) standing upright in a short wide glass (an on-the-rocks type glass). The glass was sitting on a glass plate. The interesting thing was that the pear was sitting upright in about an inch of some type of whole grain+sauce+mango chunks. I'm guessing that the sauce was sweetened, mashed mango slightly thickened with cornstarch, with a touch of the wine to give it a pink colour. It looks incredibly elegant. We'd have to count points for the wine, but not a lot I think. And points for the sweetener if you use sugar, but again I don't think it would be a lot. I like stuff that can be prepared ahead of time for a party, and I might just try this.

my Mom

oh, marilyn....it is DIVINE......i'm off to have my daily dose...

also, w/out the cereal (if you've had it once already), it is a great little dessert

and extra terrific as a cool supper or lunch on a HOT day.....though I love it all the time.

you can sub any fruit into this, btw, and/or any combo of fruit. Pineapple is really good and when those peaches come in..STAND BACK.....:bcb_grin

oh, and one more thing..i had run out of ground cinnamon so had to grab the stick cinnamon and my microplaner.....INCREDIBLE difference in the taste of the cinnamon in this...very "sharp", nice...

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD

I had run out of ground cinnamon so had to grab the stick cinnamon and my microplaner.....INCREDIBLE difference in the taste of the cinnamon in this...very "sharp", nice...
I usually avoid kitchen gadgets but I've seen several uses for this lately. I think I just found a nice Mother's day gift to ask for! (er, Penny, I think you and I hijacked this thread with grain recipes. :bcb_cry:

Hope you don't mind, Amy!)

my Mom

I just bumped up the thread on how to cook the 7 healthy grains. I would have never tried anything but brown rice without it! :bcb_bigsm I started with brown rice - but now I also eat bulgar (I like to make it how it says in the thread - to cook the water in a pan then pour it over the bulgar in a bowl and cover with saran wrap)

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...