Health Discovery Network
momaste

Party Planning, Core style!

My birthday 30th birthday is coming up (gulp!) and we're planning a backyard barbecue with friends to celebrate. I thought I'd take a little different twist on it and cook Indian food, since I love it and it can easily be made Core.

I wanted to run the menu by you guys to see if you think it would be a good enough variety for a variety of people, or if I need to offer something a bit more plain for the more vanilla guests! :) It's all mild enough for my 2 year old, but he likes it since he's used to my cooking with lots of spices. I don't know if it's just too "out there" for guests. We're having about 30 guests and I don't mind making a variety of foods, especially since a lot can be done ahead.

Baked samosas (not Core)

Tomato, onion, and cucumber salad

Green beans and potatoes in a chunky tomato sauce

Grilled corn on the cob with lime and spices (so yummy!!)

Eggplant curry

Saffron pilaf made with brown rice (has raisins and nuts, so Core + pts)

Naan bread (not home made, not Core)

Indian spiced meatballs (made with lean ground beef, but they have breadcrumbs so Core + pts)

Grilled chicken kebabs

Dipping sauces for the samosas, meatballs and kebabs:

Fresh peach chutney

Cucumber raita (made with ff plain yogurt)

Cilantro mint chutney

Watermelon

Birthday cake (not Core)

Chai iced tea, sparkling water, and beer for beverages (Since I'm pregnant, no beer for me!)

What do you think? Suggestions? Too many options? Too few?

Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

Guest Christen83

Sounds good!! Have you thought about using oatmeal instead of bread crumbs for the meatballs? It works well for meatloaf.

Can I come? :)

Indian food is my all time favourite!

A suggestion for 'nibbly' things is poppadums, you can buy them ready to cook in the microwave (here we get Sharwoods brand), you spary with PAM & microwave & they puff up. Great with some mango chutney, and pretty low in points too! At a local 'ethnic' store they have mini ones, which would be fun for a party.

I think you have a nice selection, and even those who aren't hugley into spicy foods will enjoy what you have planned.

Good for you for planning a very core party!

These meatballs cook so fast (under 10 minutes on the grill) that I don't think oatmeal would have time to rehydrate. I've used it in meatloaf with success but that cooks a lot longer. I can give it a test run, but I think it would just be too dry a mix for the oatmeal. Either way, it adds less than a point per serving since there isn't much breadcrumb in the recipe and it is spread out with lots of spices, an egg, the meat, onion and such.

Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

I think that's definitely enough variety - maybe consider making plain (unspiced) corn for a little more plain vanilla.

I'd loooove to have some of your recipes though - esp the meatballs - I love, love, love Indian food. (And my almost-2-year-old also loves my "tandoori chicken" from my WW cookbook...)

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)