Health Discovery Network
Uniey76

Success with Core, Failing in Exercise...LONG

I have been on Core since the beginning of March. You guys have all given me so many inspirations, ideas, recipes, etc, that it would surely have been much more difficult without bcb. Now I need your help again....

At my wi today, I surpassed my 10% and am close to my personal goal. BUT I would really like to tone, and get fit now that I feel healthy, I want to look it. :) But I can not manage to find the time to get the exercise in. So many of you post with such ambitious exercise routines, or time and distances, I just kind of glaze over and say I will never be able to do that. HOW DID YOU ALL START? My days are so overscheduled that I either have no time or no energy, HELP!

My day: Up at 5:30am, shower, dress, get ds (3yo) up & dressed. Out door at 7:15am to pick up step-d, and drop off both kids at school. 8am-on train to work; at work 9am-6pm. Train & bus home, arrive at 7:30/7:45pm. Spend some time with ds, eat dinner, put ds to bed at 8:30pm. Cleanup kitchen (dh cooks, I clean up). Lunch for kids for tomorrow. Then do whatever needs to be addressed; mail, bills, laundry, food shopping, cleaning, etc. I finally sit to spend some time with dh~usually we watch 1 program on TV, then I collapse sometime between 11-12. Weekends are way out of the question, with 3 kids, there is always something to go to, party to be at, shuffling stepdaughters back and forth between the 2 houses, plus I do Tupperware parties....it just never seems to end. Remove the TV time, I know, but by then I am exhasuted, and its the only alone time dh and I get. So how do I get it in? :bcb_huh:

~Nicole

SW:156.4

CW: 141.2

WW goal: 137 / My goal: 134

There are so many ways to fail but only one way to succeed; NEVER GIVE UP! by Johni Pangalila

~Check out my AVON website: www.youravon.com/ninzerill !!

How about exercising while watching TV? Get an exercise bike to put in the livingroom and spend 30 minutes on it while watching TV? You could do some weight lifting, stretching, sit ups, etc in the evening as well.

Or during your lunch break at work, take a 30 minute walk. Get up 15 minutes earlier and do a 15 minute workout video before your shower.

How about spending time with your kids doing something active in the evenings? There are videos that are fun for the whole family. My 2 1/2 year old enjoys Walk Away the Pounds with me. :)

Those people who fit in exercise still have busy lives, but make it a priority and make sure to fit it in somehow. If tone is important to you in addition to being at goal weight, you'll have to find some way to squeeze it in.

Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

Nicole, sure sounds like a jampacked schedule!! Do you go to ww meetings? Next week's topic is about finding opportunities to move more! Exactly what you need!!! Basically you have to MAKE the time because you will never FIND it! You could make your TV time exercise time too...you could exercise WHILE watching TV. Even if it is just something small to start, like walking in place, marching in place, you could do things with free weights. If you are too busy to exercise, then in my opinion you are too busy. You need to make it a priority. We make the time for things that are priorities to us.

The WW one minute motivator goes like this...what do you want to have happen in this situation? What need to happen in order for that to happen? CAN you do it? WILL you do it???

Think through those questions.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

What about going for a walk on your lunch hour. What kind of family activities do you do? You could make some kind of exercise a family activity. You would be setting an example for your kids. When you go shopping park further away. When you bring groceries in make more trips than you normally do. Exercise does not have to be all at once. Even 5 or 10 min. is better than nothing. Get a pedometer and make it a goal to get in 10,000 steps a day. When I took a yoga class once a week I made progress doing just that. It took longer but I still made progress. What I am trying to say even once a week is better than none at all. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Do knee bends or sit ups etc spaced out through out the day. The exercises do not have to be done all at once.

Here is a web page that might have some other ideas: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/125654/5_ways_to_exercise_when_you_think_you.html

Here is another page: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/167989/smart_ways_to_sneak_exercise_into_your.html

A google search might bring up some other pages.

Remember you are setting an example for your kids and what better gift can you give them than a life time habit of exercise.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

That's a lot of time sitting on the train...Can you walk up and down the aisles? You really only need like 20 minutes of walking, 3-5 times a week, to be healthy.

I know Oprah had to get up at 4:30 (or something crazy) in order to start her exercise regime.

What about a family walk after dinner?

The interesting thing is: once you start, you're going to become MORE energized and you will feel better. It's hard to know that right now. :salut

Find 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there...soon it will add up to 20 minutes.

Take the stairs instead of elevators; park far away from the stores; get a pedometer and increase your number of steps each day! :salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Gosh, Judy...It looks like I read your thread and then copied it...! LOL!:bcb_LOL:

Any way you can get up at 5 and get 30 minute walk or whatever in ? Or is there any part of your AM routine between getting up and out the door that you could do the night before or eliminate to give you more time?

Just a couple of thoughts. The rest of your day is so jam packed. The suggestions you have already been given are all great. Hopefully you van make some of them work for you.

You are so close to your goal !!!:bcb_bigsm

BMB

Bridget

SW 230

CW 151.8:bcb_march

GW 130

Nic, as your loving friend and dedicated co-worker, I will bring in a pair of sneakers and make a promise to do lunch hour walks 2-3 times a week with you unless it's rainy. We all know I'm a witch and I'll melt. :bcb_grin We should be able to swing it a couple of days a week... we can order our food and go pick it up rather than have it delivered - something along those lines. Trying to think of something that's not shopping! LOL

I can vouch for her that time is a precious commodity and it's not even every day that we are able to get out for lunch. I am single with no children and I STILL have to juggle to get all my exercise in, so I give a ton of credit to all the mommies out there getting all that and more jammed into a day. :bcb_up I think parenting burns about 1000 calories a day, doesn't it?!?!

[/url]

First of all I want to say thank you for the support. I was hesistant to post at first, but so glad I let you all in to a little bit of my life.

Momaste - I guess in my head there is a stigma about only doing 15 mins or 30min of exercise, it's like why bother? But I guess you have to start somewhere. :)

Lynn -I do go to meetings, but I missed mine today due to work constraints. I went just to get weighed in, b/c I refuse to go 2 weeks without accountability. This week or next is about moving more? I know FIND the time, but that is easier said than done.

Judy -I should get a pedometer. Maybe that would make me feel like I am doing something worthwhile.

Carol -Unfortunately, the trains I commute on are super jammed packed. I dont get a seat usually, but you barely have enough space to stand, let alone walk.

Bridget -I could get up at 5am, a sacrifice but one I could manage.

I think all this talk, has made me see that getting a walk in every mornng or evening is worthwhile. I guess I have justified not doing it by saying 30 mins of walking is not going to make a enough of difference to sacrifice the sleep, the rest, the time with dh. But you have made me a believer that I have to make whatever time I've got work for me.

~~This weekend's goal, but a pedometer, and a new pair of (walking) sneakers...mine are shot.

THANKS BUDDIES!

~Nicole

There are so many ways to fail but only one way to succeed; NEVER GIVE UP! by Johni Pangalila

It's the topic NEXT week, starting Sunday...AND you know it is about "moving more" so YES YES YES even a little bit would be great!! WW is all about getting folks to be less INACTIVE...vs. turning you into an Olympic athlete!!!! So I think that's a big step for you! Saying that even just a LITTLE more is indeed moving MORE! And that's what it's all about!!

Lynn

Thanks Eileen. I am going to take you up on that lunch hour walking offer! :bcb_march

~Nicole

Nicole,

A number of us have had problems with pedometers. Here is a thread on pedometers: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170613&highlight=Pedometer+Plug

I had given up on them as I did not find any that I had tried very accurate. I love my Omron. There are different ones for different prices. I got mine from Amazon.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

I have been on Core since the beginning of March. You guys have all given me so many inspirations, ideas, recipes, etc, that it would surely have been much more difficult without bcb. Now I need your help again....

At my wi today, I surpassed my 10% and am close to my personal goal. BUT I would really like to tone, and get fit now that I feel healthy, I want to look it. :) But I can not manage to find the time to get the exercise in. So many of you post with such ambitious exercise routines, or time and distances, I just kind of glaze over and say I will never be able to do that. HOW DID YOU ALL START? My days are so overscheduled that I either have no time or no energy, HELP!

I started with 12 minutes in the morning, and another 12 in the evening. I bought an elliptical so I had no more excuses.

Once I made the commitment of $$$$, the commitment of time became easier. It's hard to make excuses when it's lurking at the end of the hall. :)

Instead of hitting the "snooze" button, I get up. My gym clothes and shoes are all laid out. Takes 5 mins to get dressed. The water and iPod are already on the machine.

When I get home - I head straight to the bedroom to change, *then* check the answering machine, have a quick lo-cal snack, check mail. Once I'm changed into workout gear, it feels like failure to NOT get at least SOME time in.

You can do it. You just need to decide your kids and DH will understand that you're taking a small amount of time for YOU, so you have more energy for THEM.

Sandi

SW: 217

CW: 207.8

The 10% Exercise/5% Inches Challenge: Join Us!

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1518568#post1518568

Oh, and I have to comment on the title of the thread....remember there is no failure only feedback:salut! Watch out for negative self talk!

Lynn

Judy- Thanks for the pedometer link, I already read through it and am going to do some researh on pricing for the Omron.

Thanks Sandi for the pep talk. I can't purchase any machine, I literally would have to put it smack in the middle of my living room. My family uses every inch of space in our place. But 12 minutes 2xs a day doesn't sound so intimidating. :)

Lynn - thanks for pointing that out. usually I am pretty good at catching that and not looking at things in a negative light, but this one slipped b/c I really felt at a loss with the exercise thing.

~Nicole

I bought a pedometer for about $10, and it was horrible...

Got the OMRON at Rite-Aid for $39, and it is perfect! :bcb_grin

The Amish walk (on average) 10,000 steps a day, and 15,000 during harvest time. 10,000 is a good average to work towards! :salut:bcb_smile

Guest sodacracker

Hi,

I sympathise. I used to have that kind of schedule and it really is hard when you have so little down time.

One thing that worked for me was when I realized that WW activity meant exactly that - activity.

it did not ave to be in gym clothes , at a gym or on equipment. I could be my walking up a flight of stairs., or doing some wall push ups in my office when no one was around.

I went through a fun phase where I made my family laugh because whenever it crossed my mind that I should exercise, I dropped to the floor and did sit ups or push ups. Literally, If I was cooking dinner and thought gee I should try to get in a walk I stopped what I was doing and did 20 abdominal crunches.

At that tine I was so inactive that any recognition that I was moving more, parking across the lot, taking the laundry up stairs smaller bundles at a time to make me do the stairs more was all activity that counted.

Start with a minute or two more of something - I found 5 or 10 minutes easier to fit in. Dancing with my kids in the living room was a fun way to add activity for everyone and entertain them with my crazy dance moves:bcb_bigsm