Health Discovery Network
Ninka26

Not-so-fancy-Instant Meals!?

Good Morning Corbies!

Haven't posted much lately due to two pottery shows in a row ( had to glue my bottom to the studio chair) but during this crazy time I relayed on the "quick-instant-very little planning involving- meals"

Bought a bunch of frozen veggies on sale at the local grocery store, filled the cupboard with canned foods. Hard boiled eggs and filled the fruit basket.

ww couscous+ microwaved spinach+egg? Apple for snack.

Nothing fancy but I didn't throw out tons of carefully planned but neglected wilted veggies and I stayed OP and got my healthy 8's!

What is your Instant- meal of choice?

Ninka

Back to loosing a few lbs over goal...

Finding the perfect balance...one meal at the time...

I can do it!

My instant meal is core Hummus with cut up cucumbers and tomatoes. I always have cukes and tomatoes in the house. Or I'll take out a portion of cabbage chicken soup I have frozen. Filling and CORE.

Peg

When I was on Core, I used to cook up big portions of couscous (with onions and green peppers sauteed into it) and keep this handy in the fridge.

One of my favorite instant meals was to just MW 1 or 2 Boca burgers, cut it up and mix it in with the couscous. I find this to be so yummy and it's all Core. Actually, now that I"m doing Flex I still eat this as it's very filling and low in points.

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Hi Sharyn! Where do you get your couscous? I bought a package but it is semolina couscous, not whole wheat. I realized this AFTER I bought it, of course! Oh well, it's another thing to put in the foot pantry along with all of the 100 calorie snacks I don't eat anymore. :) I feel terrible that all the food I'm giving away lately is not exactly top of the food pyramid. :bcb_worry

[/url]

-can of refried beans with salsa or frozen roasted bell peppers stirred in

-green smoothie

-shredded wheat, ff milk, banana

-baked potato with salsa/ lettuce/tomato and leftover taco meat

- big salad (peruse online restaurant menus for ideas)

I definately second Peg's idea of freezing portions that you can grab.

Pandora's idea of making a big batch of something you like is excellent, too.

Catherine 295/238/170

I've been meaning to try couscous. I only have semolina in my pantry. I think the health food stores will have the whole wheat variety. Thanks for the ideas.

Peg

Hi Sharyn! Where do you get your couscous? I bought a package but it is semolina couscous, not whole wheat. I realized this AFTER I bought it, of course! Oh well, it's another thing to put in the foot pantry along with all of the 100 calorie snacks I don't eat anymore. :) I feel terrible that all the food I'm giving away lately is not exactly top of the food pyramid. :bcb_worry

Um..don't laugh, but I buy my whole wheat couscous online, from Amazon of all places.

Lately, though, I've seen it in my grocery store (Publix) in the health food section. The brand name is RiceSelect, it comes in a big, plastic jar with a green label that says Organic Whole Wheat Couscous.

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

When I'm running late for work and have no leftovers from the night before I open a can of black or garbanzo beans, a can of diced tomatoes, mix them together and take 1/2 for lunch. This is good hot or cold.

SW: 225.6

CW: 175.8

HW: 245 (non-pregnancy weight)

Rejoined 5/15/2010 to get to LIFETIME!

Thanks Sharyn! I saw that kind in my store but passed on it because the jar was huge... but if I like brown rice and pasta, chances are I will like whole wheat couscous.

As far as a non-fancy instant meal, I get pre-cut fruit sold in bowls once a week from my grocery store (Waldbaums). I know I pay more for less, but I never end up cutting up my fruit and it goes bad. So tonight I'm taking pre-cooked shrimp (brushed with olive oil and garlic), pineapple chuncks, red peppers and mushrooms and putting them on skewers and on the George Foreman grill. While they grill, I'll steam zucchini and squash in the microwave with my trusty tupperware steamer. I usually throw some spices into the water in the bottom part of the steamer, but tonight I think I'll eat them plain. Should be done in 15 minutes - I hope!

I just saw that plaintains are core, so I'm trying to figure out how to make a core version of my favorite spanish foods - chicken with rice and black beans and plaintains. If anyone has any ideas how to modify that, I'd definitely be interested!

[/url]

This may seem a little weird, but I like bulgur. I eat it with stewed tomatoes, zuchinni, and italian seasoning, or beans, or just about anything. It is very filling.

Sarah

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again