Health Discovery Network
AK_Becky_book

Article: Core Cream of Wheat - Bread Machine Recipe

Lynn, I noticed you put in 1 T of sugar instead of 1 t. Is there any specific reason for this? Does it rise better?

I am not defined by the number, but how healthy my body is!

2 teach is 2 touch 4 ever

~*Nicole*~

Yes, sugar makes the dough rise, it's what feeds the yeast. I forgot to mention that I used 1 T fructose this last time and obviously that worked at least as well!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Question for making this the old fashioned way (w/o a bread machine)....do you let this rise twice? I tried this the other day and I ended up with a brick. It rose the first time, punched it down, and let it rise again - but it didn't really rise much at all.

Tamara

SW 178.6 09/03/05

GW 146 01/14/06

I made half a loaf today with JUST COW (no oat bran) and with the tweaks I mentioned in my previous post. But I forgot the oil. I liked it better with the oat bran and olive oil in it. I can't believe how much it is like white bread, using regular cream of wheat.

Lynn

Bumping up - dh just bought a bread machine at a garage sale and I was wondering if I could make something core!

Karen

I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.

Also, the Bran Bread (I think it's in Pizza forum) is low-point and great for pizza crusts, etc. :salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Made this today and WOW! It is soooo good! I will have to portion it out and freeze the rest.

Carol - I will have to check out the pizza crust recipe too!

Karen

I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.

Followed Lynn's recipie last night. OMG!!! It is so much like real bread it is scary. This will have to be watched very carefully.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

HELP! My bread is really struggling. I'm beginning to think my issue is with my machine. What machines do you all use? I'm noticing my machine is making a really weird noise towards the end of the baking cycle. :bcb_mad2

Also what is the recipe that gets the best results??

I'd love your thoughts!!

Bonnie

Hello everyone,

Im new here, going to start CORE very soon. I was wondering about this COW bread. What does it taste like? Good?

I have a passion for bread. Would it be a bad idea for me to have this in the house.

Thanks,

trixie

I made this, well my own version of it, tonight and when I make it with ALL regular COW (vs. some whole grain) it is SO much like regular French bread it is REALLY SCARY! It rose so high it stuck to the top of the bread machine. It is light and fluffy and crusty on the outside...it is superb...and therefore very dangerous!!! I play around with my basic French bread recipe that I used to make with flour but it is basically:

1 T yeast

3 c COW

1 t salt

1/2 T sugar

1/2 T oil

1 1/2 c water

Sometimes I use some egg in place of some of the water and I might use a full T of sugar (fructose today) and oil and decrease the salt a little.

This is ridiculously identical to regular French bread. Beware!!!!!

Lynn

Bumping this up for Bonnie...Bonnie, I'd try the ORIGINAL recipe at the beginning of the thread!!!!

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

I FINALLY made this a yesterday (I followed your rec. on your COW French Bread thread and made 1/2 loaf) and both DH and I were REALLY curious how it would turn out. Wow, am I impressed, and totally surprised. The descriptions of it are pretty accurate. I had some today after sticking it in the fridge overnight - even better than "regular" homemade bread is on the 2nd day! Or maybe that is because I have bread so infrequently since switching to Core. Anyway, it is really a keeper. Now I am wondering if I can substitute COW for the flour in my pre-WW cornbread recipe and figure out a way to make it closer to Core. So far I haven't found a Core Corn bread that I really like. It will be an adventure! Thanks to you and the person who posted the first post in this thread!

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

bumping up for Lin

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

thanks Sheri :)

highest weight... 370

SW... 307.4

CW... 276.4

1st goal.. under 300 - 8/13/10

2nd goal..290 - 9/17/10

3rd goal.. 280 - 11/24/10

4th goal.. 265 -

halfway goal... 240 -

hugs, Lin

weight.png

I just made this using Wheatena in place of 1 c of the COW and it is really excellent. Rose too high actually. I need to cut this recipe down so it doesn't rise too high. Not sure if I can reduce ingredients proportionally. Somehow it comes out best when I do a full recipe (but is just too big/sticks to the top of the bread machien) and sometimes doesn't rise well if I cut it in half, etc. but the Wheatena was a GREAT addition!

bumping this up again! I love when I am reading a post and then realize it is MINE! I need to try that Wheatena in this again!!! Nice to know (from my own previous post) that that works!

I read all of the posts relating to the COW bread and it looked so good I just had to try it! Which I did today and it's as good as everyone says. . . however, I'm a Points + person and knew I couldn't enjoy this delicious recipe without the stats. There is a site, My Recipe Magic, that will provide the nutritional values for a recipe, including points and points +. I submitted the recipe (giving this site the credit) and here's the info I received today.

Cream of Wheat bread

Makes 12 servings

1 2/3 cups* water -- hand heat

2 teaspoons salt

4 cups Cream of Wheat (farina / semolina)

1 teaspoon sugar (POINTS negligible)

2 teaspoons yeast

Put all ingredients inbreadmaker in order listed. Use Basic setting for bread, and Medium or Dark setting for crust.

NutritionFacts

Servings 12

Calories 217

Total Fat 0.77g

Total Carbohydrate 44.7g

Sugar 0.5 g

Fiber 2.5 g

Protein 6.3g

Points 4

PointsPlus 5

No matter what plan one may follow, 217 calories for a slice of bread puts this out of my range. It was a wonderful experiment in making something I had never heard of before. Thanks to whoever developed this great recipe!

J