Health Discovery Network
Guest tinka

Are oatmeal and oat bran interchangeable in CORE baking?

Guest tinka

Hi buddies,

Just made some CORE banana muffins using blueberries instead of the bananas. They are very dense and heavy. Just like I like them!:bcb_smile I offered some to dh, but he said no thanks. :bcb_bigsm

In baking muffins, oatmeal creme brulee etc., in general, can you substitute oat bran for oatmeal? (I always use old fashioned oats).

I plan on keeping on CORE forever!!!

Tinka

Old-fashioned oatmeal has a lower energy density than oat bran. Just like oat "flour" has a higher energy density than oat bran.

On Core, you're trying to eat foods with lower energy density.

So I'd say, use the most oatmeal and the least oat bran in order to get the end-product you are wanting. I just made Core Chocolate Cake; it was ALL oat bran (in order to be the "cak-iest").

On Baked Oatmeal, I usually use half oatmeal and half oat bran.

Oat bran is Core as a hot cereal. I'm sure WWs thought we'd be putting oat bran in boiling water when they made it Core. :salut However, "creative Corebies" figured out a multitude of uses for it! :bcb_grin

It's a healthier ingredient, obviously, than a recipe using flour and fat and sugar. However, our goal is weight loss.:salut If your weight loss slows or plateaus, consider eating CORE hot cereals rather than CORE "baked goods".:salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Guest tinka

Wow, Carol, thanks for taking the time to share all that info. I think I will print that out and keep it with my recipes to read again. Thanks:salut

Tinka

That is what my WW leader told me on Saturday, Carol. I let her look at my weekly food log. She suggested I limit my core baked goods to one time a day while I am in the weight loss phase unless I was getting quite a few activity points.

Sarah

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again

I use oat bran pretty sparingly/rarely, for the reasons Carol mentioned. It is higher in energy density/easier to digest etc. and WW certainly didn't envision all the baking possibilities (which increase its energy density compared to making it into hot cereal)...so I make my baked oatmeal with ALL oatmeal anymore...

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Core considerations aside, various types of oatmeal act differently when you use them for baking. It can be important to use rolled oats or quick oats, and not the other, for a recipe to come out right. Oat bran also has its own properties. So substitute carefully!

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Wow, Carol, thanks for taking the time to share all that info. I think I will print that out and keep it with my recipes to read again. Thanks:salut

Tinka

You're welcome, Tinka! :wave:

That is what my WW leader told me on Saturday, Carol. I let her look at my weekly food log. She suggested I limit my core baked goods to one time a day while I am in the weight loss phase unless I was getting quite a few activity points.

Sarah

I think that's a great suggestion by your leader. :bcb_smile

I use oat bran pretty sparingly/rarely, for the reasons Carol mentioned. It is higher in energy density/easier to digest etc. and WW certainly didn't envision all the baking possibilities (which increase its energy density compared to making it into hot cereal)...so I make my baked oatmeal with ALL oatmeal anymore...

I've got to make that Best Baked Oatmeal again. It uses only oatmeal AND it has oil...DH loved it.

Core considerations aside, various types of oatmeal act differently when you use them for baking. It can be important to use rolled oats or quick oats, and not the other, for a recipe to come out right. Oat bran also has its own properties. So substitute carefully!

Hi, Nancy! :wave:

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile