Health Discovery Network
Lfia525

Here's something we corbies could use!

I read this article and thought about all the "grain" salads, and bean salads I make in the summer. Thought I'd share :bcb_smile

Cold Starches Can Be Key to Losing Weight

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:22 AM

By: Brenda McHugh Article Font Size minus.jpg plus.jpg

There is a new star on the diet stage. It is called ‘resistant starch’. And everyday foods such as corn, potatoes and rice are shown to have this property when served cold.

“Resistant starch has the potential to become the next hot nutrition trend,” said Leslie, Bonci, RD, author of the American Dietetic Association’s Guide to Better Digestion.

The starch has been the subject of more than 160 studies to date.

Not only does it fill the belly, it then ‘resists’ digestion. Unlike other carbohydrates it is not absorbed into one’s bloodstream due to its bulk. Therefore, the starch enters into the large intestine and ferments. This fermentation creates fatty acids which block it from being immediately expended.

“This can prevent the liver from using carbs as fuel and, instead, (burn) stored body fat and recently consumed fat,” said Janine Higgins, PhD, and a nutrition research director for the University of Colorado.

One study determined that replacing a mere 5% of carbohydrates with resistant starch increased fat- burning after a meal by 20 to 30%.

It is estimated that the average American woman consumes approximately four grams of the starch each day. Some experts suggest that the ‘recommended daily amount’ should be doubled, which would mean (for most people) adding one-half to one cup of cooled, carbohydrate-rich foods like grains, beans and spuds to their diet.

Aside from its weight control benefits, resistant starch is also believed to possess health advantages. It has been proven to maintain blood sugar levels, boost immunity and may even reduce the risk of cancer. The starch may even help to fight other disease by promoting the growth of probiotics, the same kind of healthy bacteria in yogurt.

Joanne Slavin, PhD, is a nutritionist for the University of Minnesota. She advocates probiotics.

“When you have low levels of good-for-you bacteria in your digestive system, it’s very difficult to fight off disease,” she said.

The trick is resistant starch is to keep the food cool. While the starch, itself, actually forms during cooking, it becomes ‘resistant’ during the cooling process when it crystallizes. Re-heating the meal causes the crystals to return to their original form, thereby, destroying their ‘resistant’ value.

© 2008 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

*Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

That is so interesting! Thanks for posting it - I had read a little about "resistant starches" but had not seen anything that explained them this well.

Edited to add: I did some searching, and found this - it adds a little more info:

http://www.nutrition.org.uk/upload/Resistant%20Starch(1).pdf

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

Thanks Rose! :salut Looks like I may add Mexican Fiesta Salad, Core Potato Salad, and some Brown Rice Salad to next weeks menu :bcb_bigsm.

*Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

Oh, oh! I can contribute here instead of just asking questions :bcb_grin. I order online from Honeyville food products. I ordered a fesistant starch flour called Hi-maize. You can replace 25% of regular or whole wheat flour with the Hi-maize. You can't taste the difference and it is good for you. Also their shipping for any order size is $4.49.

If you decide to order I highly suggest getting some of the strawberries. They are a little pricey, but the container is like a large coffee can container and they are soooooooo good. It is the cheapest freeze dried strawberries I have been able to find. They offer a lot of good things that work for core eating. Check it out. I have never been unhappy with an order.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=640

Veronica

SW 136

CW 131

WWG 115

PG 105

I've been eating alot of cold potatoe salad of late. Guess this is a good reason to continue !!!!

Linda..........How do you make your brown rice salad ? I've never made a rice salad before and wouldn't mind a general recipe to guide me. Thanks in advance......

Karen

HERE WE GO AGAIN !! :bcbkickbu

STGoal #1: 200 lbs

Losses to date: 8.3 lbs

Karen~ I don't really have a recipe for rice salad. I figured I'd "google" rice salad and then just make it core. I'll let you know if I find a good one.

*Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

Ahhh, cold grain salads...LOVE them!

One of my faves is to use cold bulgur (cooked in Better than Boullion chicken soup base and some kosher salt) and then top with fruit, ff feta cheese and some raspberry balsamic vinegar plus some Ken's FF raspberry dressing.

Fruits to love on this:

pineapple

grapes

strawberries

Can also add cold chicken, avocado, etc.

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD

Thanks! I'll start adding cold starches to my food plan.

Since I was going through my files to compile a list of cold starch ideas anyway, I thought I'd just start some new posts here in the Core Recipes Forum so we can find them all in one place.

Please add your recipes and reviews!!

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

I had a cold salad today of bulgur, avocado, onion, pepper jack soy cheese, Mrs. Dash Garlic/Herb seasoning, and a few sprays of raspberry vinaigrette dressing. It was VERY good!

Rose

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

I think this article was posted somewhere on the site several weeks/months ago, but thought I'd post a link to it again for any who missed it. It is a Prevention.com article on resistant starch - lots of good info. They refer to it as "Nature's Fat-Burning Breakthrough"

http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/nature-s-fat-burning-breakthrough/296ca6b509787110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/news.voices/in.the.magazine/march.2008.issue

Rose

I'm bumping this back up for several reasons - I thought some of the newer Core people might benefit from it, and I wanted to know if anyone has tried anything new/different in the way of cold grain salads?

Also - I made a cold salad/slaw with shredded cabbage, bulgar, and some cut-up baked chicken breast. I sprinkled on some fresh-ground black pepper and some Mrs. Dash "Table Blend", and used a Tbsp. of "Smart Balance" spread for dressing (one point). It was very, very good!

Rose

Guest looneycatblue

I have started (since I read this) eating my steel oats cold. I make a big batch on Sunday, I mix in some splenda and cinnamon. Then I have my breakfast ready for all week... It is really good cold!

I found 3: On the oils, figure out how much you will be getting per serving, and if you need to count something on Core.:salut

"This is for FeelGr8...a recipe using wheat berries! A recipe by Lorna Sass, "Cooking Under Pressure".

4 C. cooked wheat berries, rice, or barley, cooled to room temperature

1 large red or green bell pepper, seeded and diced

2 C. cooked corn kernels or diced raw zucchini

1/2 C. tightly packed, minced fresh basil, dill, or cilantro

3/4 C. Umeboshi Plum Vinaigrette

Set the cooked grains in a large bowl. Toss in the pepper, corn, and basil. Sprinkle on the dressing, adding enough to thoroughly coat the salad. Adjust seasonings and serve.

Vinaigrette

3/4 C. olive oil

1-2 TBS. umeboshi plum vingar or 4-6 TBS. balsamic or other red wine vinegar

1-2 TBS. soy sauce

1/4 C. sesame seeds (optional) (I toasted them in the microwave for 4 minutes on high, stirring every minute)

In small jar, combine oil with 1 TBS. plum vinegar (or 4 TBS. balsamic) and 1 TBS. soy sauce. Shake vigorously until well blended. Adjust seasonings, adding more vinegar and soy sauce to taste. Add sesame seeds, if desired, and shake to blend.

Lorna Sass: "I highly recommend trying this salad with wheat berries, which make an intriguing substitue for rice or pasta in most cold salad recipes. Do keep in mind that wheat berries have more texture and flavor than most cooked grains, so plan accordingly when considering the additional ingredients and always use an assertive dressing. If you're feeling ambitious, hollow out raw zucchini boats or tomato halves and heap the salad in them.

The umeboshi plum vinegar suggested for the dressing is a superb addition to your pantry, and is readily available in health-food stores. Made of preserved, salty plums, it is fruity and full-bodied and marries in an exquisite way with a quality olive oil."

After you see a cold-grain salad recipe, then you can also experiment putting your own together! I throw wheat berries into green salads, with a crumbled stronger cheese(feta, blue cheese, or gargonzola), some toasted nut pieces, some diced pear (or canned pineapple)...Just experiment putting things together that you LOVE. But those wheat berries make a salad turn *SUBSTANTIAL*!

______

This is from Lorna Sass, "The Pressured Cook":

Serves 4-6

4-5 C. freshly cooked grains

2 C. grated carrots

1 C. snipped or finely chopped fresh dill

1/2 C. fine-dice red onion or thin-sliced scallions

1/2 C. chopped toasted pecans or hazelnuts

1/2 C. dried currants, briefly plumped in hot water (count WAP)

3 TBS. walnut, hazelnut, or canola oil

3 TBS. freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, adjustin the oil, lemon juice, and salt to taste.

(Sorry, I haven't pointed this yet, but it gives you a GREAT idea on how to put together a cold grain salad!)

Lorna Sass: "This colorful salad works well with most grains, but I particularly like to use a combination of barley and brown rice, or wheat berries. The salad tastes best when the grains have been cooked in slightly salted water.

For optimum taste, let the dressed grains sit for about 15 minutes before serving. Pop any refrigerated left-overs into the micro (lightly covered with waxed paper) for about 30 seconds to soften and rehydrate the grains. Then freshen salad with additional lemon juice."

TEX-MEX GRAIN SALAD:

Substitute cilantro for the dill, toasted pumpkin seeds for the pecans (add at last minute to preserve crunchiness) and chopped pimento-stuffed olives for the currants. Dress with olive oil and freshly squeezed lime juice. Add salt and Tabasco sauce to taste.

TEX-MEX GRAIN AND BEAN SALAD:

Follwo the variation above. Add 1 1/2 C. cooked black or pinto beans. Increase oil/vinegar to taste.

How To Cook Barley: Add 3/4 C. pearled barley to 4 C. boiling water for 45 minutes = 3 C. cooked barley. Hulled barley is "chewier" and will probably require more time, and possibly more water. You can lightly salt the water, OR, if you're eating the grains, alone/savory, cook them in broth.

SCRUMPTIOUS Barley and Black Bean Salad: This recipe is the BOMB!

Serves 9

3 C. cooked barley (3/4 C. barley in 4 C. boiling water for 45 minutes)

2 C. black beans

1 1/2 C. whole kernel corn, thawed

1 1/2 C. tomato, fresh diced

1 C. green peas, thawed

1 C. chopped avacado

1/4 C. cilantro

Dressing:

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/2 C. water

2 TBS. lemon juice

1 TBS. grated onion

1 TBS. olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

Romaine lettuce and 18 wedges of tomato (for garnish and under the grains)

Combine 1st 9 ingredients in large bowl, toss gently. Combine water and next 4 ingredients in a jar; pour over salad. Toss gently. Serve warm or room temperature.

9 servings: 1 C. salad, 2 avacado slices, 2 tomato slices (1 1/2 C.: 1/2 fat, 1 bread, 1 protein, + vegetables)

*Do not add the avacado if you will not be eating the salad THAT meal...it will turn brown. Add when needed.

If you refrigerate, and eat the salad another day "freshen it" with some new lemon juice!

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I just made a pan of Core brownies using pureed black beans instead of the applesauce & eggs. They were pretty good, and the beans make them a good source of resistant starch.

I also ordered some Hi-Maize for adding to smoothies and pudding. I am diabetic (type II) and I'm interested to see if upping my intake of rs significantly will have any impact on my post-meal blood glucose. And of course I would not mind seeing a boost in fat loss as well!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Started WW - Jan 2008

SW/CW/GW

242.2/212/160

Hmmmm ... I found this to be very interesting information. I had never heard of "resistant starch" before. Has anyone used this information or incorporated more cold grain salads into their menu because of it? I'd love to hear what you've done.

I just re-read this. Saw I had a cold cooked-potato in the fridge, so I took 1/2, diced it and added a TBS. of vinagrette and whole grain mustard.

COLD POTATO SALAD.:bcb_bigsm

Just like that~ :salut

When I was young, I used to pare an uncooked potato into a bowl and add salad dressing for an after-school snack...and I was ski-nny!

I LOVE cold-grain salads. I gave the recipes for 3, above in this thread. They keep well in the fridge. :bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile