Health Discovery Network
Golden1

Sugar Substitute

I have to admit that I have not had any cake or muffin desserts since I started core. I would love to make most of the recipe's but they all seem to consist of Splenda. I can not tollerate Aspertame, Splenda etc. Does anyone else know what or how I can substitute when a recipe calls for it? Or can someone point in the direction of some good dessert recipes with no artifical sweeteners:bcb_yuck:? I would love to just use real sugar but not sure if the points would sky rocket or it would send my insulin level so high I start craving more food. I have been drooling over the carrot cake and pumpkin muffins, but not sure what to do. Thank's

Lori

weight.png

Since you cannot tolerate sugar substitutes, can you half the amount of real sugar and then count the points and use your WAP's or AP's?

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Core since Oct. 2, 2007

:bcb_march

You can try Stevia- which you can get at a health food store. It bakes a little differently, so you will have to experiment. I use the drops and they are very strong. 3 drops is equal to one packet of sugar substitute. It can become bitter if too much is used.

You can also get some Erythritol. I get mine from http://www.honeyvillegrain.com/. It can also be bought at Whole Foods Market and such. The problem with erythritol is the cooling taste it has in foods. Think cooling from wintergreen mints and it is only 70% as sweet as sugar.

There is also Slender and Sweet. You can buy this at Whole Foods and other health food stores. Here is their website. http://www.sweetandslender.com/ I find it has a bit of an aftertaste, but it is not too bad.

Here is a link to different sugar substitutes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_substitute

Veronica

SW 136

CW 131

WWG 115

PG 105

Thank's for the suggestions, I might try the stevia first. most of the recipes, if they call for splenda, I just add real sugar and divide the points. Some recipes come out to 0 points with real sugar eafter I do the division. My only problem is I am not sure what the ratio is. If you use one cup of Splenda is it equal to one cup of sugar or less? Thanks again

Lori

weight.png

I have difficulty with both aspartame and sucralose...aspartame makes my eyes burn and sucralose really causes me to feel depressed. I use some stevia, some sugar, and a little sweet n lo and generally that's enough. I count the sugar as points.

Blessings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use Agave Nectar and count points for it. It doesn't spike blood sugar like real sugar does and doesn't have a nasty after taste like some do.

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.

--Abraham Lincoln

Do you count Agave Nectar like Honey? How would you substitiute it for splenda in a recipe(amounts)? I have seen this at my healthfood store. Thank's

Lori

weight.png

I made my baked oatmeal, and instead of 3 packets of Splenda (which I use instead of 1 C. pourable Splenda), I substituted 2 packets of Splenda and 1/8th cup of fructose.

It tasted great.

It's going to be hard to figure things out with sweeteners exactly. Everybuddy's tastebuds are different.

Make a small recipe and see what you think. Then make your adjustments.

If something isn't sweet enough, you can always top it with honey or applesauce...If it's too sweet, you'll have to break it up and mix it with something else (or let someone else eat it or throw it away). :salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile