Health Discovery Network
Guest starbrite

what is breakfast?

Guest starbrite

this is def the weirdest question anyone has ever heard of, and to most a no brainer :bcb_yuck:

but... what is breakfast?:bcb_blush

i know it is generally around 8am in the morning, its usually cereal or eggs or pancakes and coffee, etc.

but what defines breakfast? is it the first meal you eat, regardless of time you wake up?

because, i wake up at 2 pm sometimes from 24 hour shifts at the hospital, and my first meal is at 2 pm. so is that lunch or breakfast?

they say that having a good big breakfast that is healthy, can help in weight loss. I am ready to do this but i just don't know what is defined as breakfast.

or is it, the first meal is breakfast, and then lunch, and then dinner. so if i eat a meal at 2 pm and want to call it breakfast, i must have two meals after that to call them lunch and dinner?

in the past, and even now, i am sometimes sobusy, that i just eat one big meal when waking up, and then a small meal at dinner time because i am stuffed frmo lunch time. irealize that is bad, because the one meal sits in my stomach, and slows down my metabolism. so i basically ate a huge brunch and a small dinner.

so please just tell me what is breakfast exactly? and does it matter what we eat during breakfast, as long as its something?

there was a study down shown on abc news. they took two groups of overweight women both had to eat 1200 calories daily for one month. the group that ate a huge breakfast and small lunch and dinner lost more weight, than the group that ate equally portioned meals throughout the day.

thanks for answering in advance, and sorry for the weird question.

Well, it is called breakfast because you have not eaten (presumably) for 8 or so hours - you have been "fasting", so when you get up and eat, you break the fast.

If you don't feel like having typical breakfast food - at whatever time - then just eat something else that's healthy and OP. I do think eating a healthy meal when one gets up - and certainly before going off to work or school - is helpful in feeling better and sticking to any weight loss plan.

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

Guest starbrite

thanks for replying:bcb_up

that makes sense what you said.

now say i wake up at 8am- break my fast with my first meal at 5 pm. is that still considered breakfast?

and whatif i wake up at 6 pm and eat right then, breaking the fast, is that breakfast?

is breakfast more of the first thing u eat "breaking fast" regardless of wht time it is in the day?

In my opinion, if you wake at 8 A.M. and don't eat until 5 P.M., you have skipped breakfast and at least one other meal. NOT a good idea.

You could call it breakfast, if it's your first meal after a fast - it really doesn't matter what you call it - but I'd just call it unhealthy.

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

I had a dietician tell me that it is important to eat something within an hour of rising to keep your metabolism going.

Sarah

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again

I have to agree. Not eating all day long is not good at all. You need to get your metabolism going and by eating huge meals only once is not good.

Doesn't make a difference what you call it.

Your body requires food and it needs it through out the day

wow I think you are really over thinking this or trying to justify unhealthy behaviors...

It doesn't matter what you eat - leftovers from last nights dinner, cereal, pizza, whatever - just eat something shortly after waking up...

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

Guest starbrite

thanks for the replies.

i am not trying to overthink this, its just because I have always been confused on what breakfast is, i have always heard different things from people.

and i am not planning on eating at 6 pm as the first meal. its just with night shifts, sometimes i dont wake up before that time.

and im giving random examples to make sure i am clear on it.

Breakfast is the first meal of the day after you wake up..when you sleep you are involuntarily fasting..break the fast...so if you work nights..afternoons ..it will take place when you wake..

Stacey

SW 261.4

CW 230.8

GW 150

I have also heard that it is important to eat within 1 hour of rising. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you call in breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or if you eat it at 8 am or 6 pm, as long as it's healthy and eaten less than 1 hour after rising. If you wake up at 6 pm, call it breakfast, but plan to go to bed at midnight, I don't see any need to fit in two more meals in such a short day. What I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter what you call each meal, or if during a short day you only eat two defined meals, as long as you eat well nutritionally and points wise, and you eat shortly after rising.

weight.png

Ashley

3/7 miles Run

15/30 miles Biked

I work some late nights as well and also often get up in late morning/early afternoon as a result. I still try to space out at least three mini meals, and definitely try to eat as soon as I get up - even if I don't feel famished, I know my body still is.

But, I think it's a myth that breakfast has to be eggs, toast, etc. I say, eat whatever you are in the mood for at the time. :)

SW: 155

CW: 154.7

GW: 130

"Failures do what is tension-relieving, while winners do what is goal achieving."

I completely agree with you that you can have whatever you're in the mood for. I love having the "typical" breakfast foods for supper. To me, leftovers-esp. pizza-are a great breakfast. As long as you're eating nutritious foods, it doesn't matter what it is-just how much!! :bcb_bigsm

Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it. ~Author Unknown

weight.png

:bcb_march

I know exactly what it's like to be confused about meals and times. I work 12 hour night shifts and especially after working several in a row, I'm exhausted and sleep until 5pm sometimes, then get up and am up 5 or 6 hours and then go back to sleep to get back on a day schedule. So is this a whole day, do I need to get all 25 of my points in during just 5 or 6 hours? No. Working a sporadic schedule means all of my days can't be the same points-wise because sometimes I'm up way more than average and sometimes way less. So, us weird-shift workers just kinda have to adjust but still make sure our points and meals and stuff are averaging out right to be healthy.

There is a reason they say odd-shift workers are more likely to gain weight...it's difficult not to.

Erin

Highest Pregnancy Weight: 240.0

WW Starting Weight: 204

Goal Weight: 174

Current Weight:

weight.png