Health Discovery Network
Mutesounds

Resistance Tubes

I don't currently use them, as I prefer weights so I can weigh/measure the amount I'm lifting - but that said, I have used them in the past as part of some physical therapy I had to have, and they certainly do work. They are far easier to store and keep out of the way than a pile of weights, too!

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

I don't currently use them, as I prefer weights so I can weigh/measure the amount I'm lifting - but that said, I have used them in the past as part of some physical therapy I had to have, and they certainly do work. They are far easier to store and keep out of the way than a pile of weights, too!

I do have weights, nothing major, just a couple ten and five pound weights. I thought these would give my muscles a better workout since I could do various routines. Also like you say, they are easier to store and take up little room. I just worry about them breaking and injuring me, but I probably shouldn't.

I just worry about them breaking and injuring me, but I probably shouldn't

I have something similar - don't use them much - BUT as far as breaking my son took mine and hooked them to something and stretched them ridiculously far across the room. They didn't break. So if they can survive his tricks they should be fine for normal use! :bcb_huh:

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

I have something similar - don't use them much - BUT as far as breaking my son took mine and hooked them to something and stretched them ridiculously far across the room. They didn't break. So if they can survive his tricks they should be fine for normal use! :bcb_huh:

Good to know, thanks! :bcb_bigsm

I have them and they work! I first starting using them with my power 90 DVD's but admit that they have been in my coat closet collecting dust this past year. But my husband and I can both attest to getting great sculpting results with them. Thanks for reminding me that I have them....should pull them out again ;).

-Caroline

To will is to select a goal, determine a course of action that will bring one to that goal, and then hold to that action till the goal is reached. The key is action. -Michael Hanson

CW 142.5

GW 135

HW 186

Height 5'8"

We use resistance tubes and bands in our gym to vary our clients strength workouts. As you say, one of their chief advantages is their portability. They are terrific for when you have to travel, and for that reason, I often develop workouts with them for clients who travel a lot.

They do work. They do work differently than free weights. In essence, bands and tubes place the maximum amount of resistance at the END of the movement. For example, think of how you do a bicep curl with dumbbells. Let's say you start with your arms hanging down at your sides. As you begin to curl up, you feel the most resistance at the beginning, and almost none at the top of your movement (when your hands are at your shoulders). With a band (or tube), it's just the opposite. Let's say you are standing on the middle of the tube, holding the handles in each hand, and begin to curl up. The resistance is lowest at the beginning of the movement, and REALLY huge at the top.

So, what I like to do is, say, have a client do a free weight workout for a few weeks, then maybe change to a band/tube workout, or even mix different free-weight/bodyweight/band/tube exercises within each workout.

That way, you place a different stimulus on the muscles, so your body must continually adapt (by getting stronger).

Don't worry about breaking the tubes. I HAVE had some bands give way during use (i.e. rip in half), but never a tube. And, even when a band rips, it has never resulted in a client getting hurt.

I think they (tubes and bands) are a great value for the money. They add a nice variety to strength workouts, don't cost much, and don't take up much space.

I say, go for it and enjoy.

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Jennifer, thank you so much for the information! After I posted to this thread several days ago, I did get to wondering if using tubes or bands for at least part of my workout would be a good idea. I got them out and have added them to my routine - I realized the difference you describe (although I could not have described it that well) and now I will alternate, using the wts some of the time and the bands and tubes at other times.

thanks again! :)

Rose

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

We bought these, and I have done them three times so far. I can tell that they are working.

Start Date: 4/30/07

SW 205

CW 190 d. 6/18/07

GW 130

39 year old Female, 5' 3 1/2"

I'm enjoying using mine now - and I can do a little bit of light-resistance upper body/arm shoulder stretching while I'm walking - not much, but it helps to get my heart rate up.

Rose

I've snapped a tube at the gym...but it was just like a rubber band and didn't hurt. Mostly just surprising!

Deb Hockey_LRWYUX.gif

SW: 263.2 (5/2/05)

CW: 208 (1/12/08)

minigoal: under 200