Health Discovery Network
LillieG

Or Maybe I Just Don't Understand What "Guidelines" Mean?

I guess I've always thought "guidelines" were like daily point value - its what you do to be on WW. But then, the dictionary meaning of guidelines is more like "advice" as opposed to hard and fast rules. For example, when the guidelines say, 5 servings of fruit and vegetables, if I don't do that, I'm really not doing WW - in other words, a hard and fast rule. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Lillie

Hey, Lillie - I'm sorry for messing up your rant in the wine thread :D :D :D

On "guidelines", I consider them just what you said - "suggestions". I think there are many WW members who want to really make the program a healthy, long-term lifestyle, and those are the ones who take the guidelines seriously. I am one of those, but I freely admit there are days when I just don't get in every single one.

Others attend WW just to lose weight, and use their points on everything from junk food to . . . more junk food. They couldn't care less about the Good Health Guidelines.

Probably a lot of members fall somewhere in between.

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

Traffic signals in New York are just rough guidelines.

David Letterman

Too funny!

And so true!

Mel

DD Alexis born 11/04!

DS Aiden born 12/06!

weight.png

I think you can call them whatever you want. But for me, to have permanent life long weight loss, I must follow the guidelines/rules, whatever you want to call them. Every time they institute some new rule, I mentally fight it tooth and nail, thinking I know better than WW. But in the end, they're always right! I do better, feel better and stay on plan better when I follow the 8 HG, especially the dairy and oils.

I think WW calls them "guidelines" because WW is not a "diet". It's a lifestyle change.

Rather than view them as suggestions, I like this definition:

"A detailed plan or explanation to guide you in setting standards or determining a course of action" (Dictionary.com)

It is also interesting to know that guidelines could also be defined as

"A rope or cord that serves to guide one's steps, esp. over rocky terrain, through underground passages, etc." (Dictionary.com)

That could be neat way to look at it from the aspect of a WW journey.

It's always a choice to follow the guidelines, just like it's a choice to eat within your points. The guidelines are a part of the WW program. If I want the program to work for me, I will follow the guidelines. Also, the BCB philosophy of being OP 24/7 would include always following the guidelines. :salut

Debbie

recommitted 11.28.10

313/304/169

Does anyone understand why the oils are so important?

"Fat: A necessary nutrient

Your body needs fat to function properly. Besides being an energy source, fat is a nutrient used in the production of cell membranes, as well as in several hormone-like compounds called eicosanoids. These compounds help regulate blood pressure, heart rate, blood vessel constriction, blood clotting and the nervous system. In addition, dietary fat carries fat-soluble vitamins — vitamins A, D, E and K — from your food into your body. Fat also helps maintain healthy hair and skin, protects vital organs, keeps your body insulated, and provides a sense of fullness after meals."

WW specifies the "healthy oils" because most of the other available fats are less than healthy.

You can read more detail here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

I view the guidelines as being what is guiding me to a healthy way of eating.

Honestly, I wish I didn't have to spend the points on oil and milk. But I know how important they are to me. I feel better when I have them. My skin and hair look better when I include them. When I started having them, every day, the weight started coming off.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"