Health Discovery Network
CrystalRose

27,000 Employees Offered Free WW Program

This is a LOT of people being offered the WW program free - I wish more employers would do this - especially hospitals - I am always amazed at the overweight employees in health care facilities. My leader says she thinks it's because they put so much effort into caring for others, they don't have the time and energy for themselves.

From here:

http://healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=617022

Hospital Offers Workers Free Weight Watchers Programs

The Cleveland Clinic will offer free Weight Watchers programs to staffers enrolled in an in-house program that covers more than 27,000 of its 37,000 employees.

"The goal is to help our employees get healthier if they want to... When our employees feel healthier and are healthier, they're able to take care of patients better," Dr. Michael F. Roizen, the clinic's chief wellness officer, told the Associated Press. "Health care organizations ought to stand for health."

Employees will be able to sign up for free weight management programs, fitness centers and smoking cessation programs.

The Cleveland Clinic stopped hiring smokers last September and doesn't allow trans fats and sugar-sweetened beverages on patient menus or in cafeterias, restaurants, pharmacies and vending machines, the AP reported.

(Roizen is author of The RealAge MakeOver and one of the authors of You: The Owner's Manual - both books are excellent.

-----

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

While I think it's great what they're doing, wouldn't you think people who work in health care would already know how to eat healthy and exercise?

I tought WW at a local FORD factory. The program was free, paid by management and the Union. Unfortunately, after 3 weeks the class of 45 was down to three. Assuming that I did not suck as a teacher, my theory is that people put no personal value in a Free program. Other companies that paid back the fees for successful losers have been much more effective and still free to those that are committed.

Not scientific, just my observations...

CW

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202124

Wow, I would LOVE that! CW, interesting theory. Sounds quite plausible.

Laura

Started at:234

Currently:217.6

Goal:141

DW to one amazing guy; Mom to 4 :)

weight.png

The State of Tennessee offers free YMCA memberships, but if you don't go 2 times a week you have to pay for it. It gives them something for free, but they have to use it.

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again

The company I work for has a free "wellness center" for all staff - employees and contractors. It has a full work out facility, classes, and offers massages.

And, we have WW at work. The company will reimburse employees up to $250 for joining WW or other health clubs, visiting nutrionists, and various other things. It's been very successful!

Diana

"My basic philosophy can be summed up by an expression we use in Norwegian: hurry slowly. Get there, but be patient." GRETE WAITZ

Ordinary Life

SW 7/1/2008: 234.4

CW: 202.8

GW: 150

I think that this is a great idea. It would be nice to have support where you work as you try to take care of your needs.

I'm in nursing school and let me tell you... it's not so easy to be healthy. I go to school everyday for 8 hours a day (even Satrudays) and when I'm not in class or clinicals, I'm at school studying for class and clinicals. I go to school all year long (no summer vacation) and all we worry about are assignments, studying, and getting a quick bite to eat because we have no time to stop.

At my university however, it seems like the 4th out of 5 semesters is when people start losing weight. By the 4th semester we are learning how to balance everything and the reality is that once we graduate we don't want to be big. I've gained 30 pounds since starting nursing school, but I'm starting to lose the weight, finally (lost 24 thus far!).

So I know where they are coming from. Once I'm actually out in the world, I'm going to have to learn how to care for others and myself... nursing is hard. They are underpaid, overworked, and sleep deprived. I hope this program works!

SW: 239.0 (12.30.10) CW: 233.6 (01.05.12) GW: 150

Loss: 5.4 lbs thus far

That is a wonderful benefit. I do WW at Work but my employer doesn't pay for it. I do wish they would reimburse us. We do have a great employee wellness program. One of my favorite parts is being able to earn fake dollars that we can turn in for things like exercise DVD's, handweights, workout gear and clothing, etc.

I do work for a very large medical center and yes, there are lots and lots of overweight people. Most of the ones I see (including me) have the sedentary jobs.

CW-I am positive you were a great leader. I would LOVE to be in one of your meetings. I agree that Ford paying upfront for it took away the incentive/push to be successful.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

CW interesting observation. i wonder what attendance would be like if those same 45 employess had bee PAID, say $5 for going? they say getting paid to lose weight really works.....

Mowho33

SW(Dec07)212.5

:bcb_yuck:

CW(July 2010)165

:bcb_grrrr

weight.png

Our hospital offers wellness center membership with a discounted insurance rate but attendance is mandatory.I have been trying for 2 yrs to get WW at work with no success. Mostly due to the inability to find a leader.

I am a nurse and have to share this insight. We are so busy on the floor that making healthy food choices is not always feasible due to time and exercise after a 12 hour shift is hard. Add in the life stressors we all face (spouse, children, housework, etc) and being a healthy example is hard. Please don't be too hard on the medical profession. We know better but share the same obstacles as everyone else.

That being said it can be hypocritical when doing diet teaching or smoking cessation but obviously not following your own advice. Prayerfully this id becoming a problem of my past.

Starting wt 282 7/12/06

Goal wt 180

weight.png

weight.png

Guest claire52

I think it's amazing that there are companies out there encouraging this and making it so easy for their employees. I know for myself, part of the battle is getting past the people around you who aren't on WW and don't understand it. The temptations around you are so much easier to get past if you have support. The person who sits next to me at work is also on WW and it makes it so much easier to be motivated and stay OP when someone is sort of "watching" you.

I know for myself, part of the battle is getting past the people around you who aren't on WW and don't understand it. The temptations around you are so much easier to get past if you have support.

Claire - It has come as a total surprise to me that this part - "getting past the people around you who aren't on WW and don't understand it" - is even harder on maintenance than when I was losing weight. Even some people who I consider highly intelligent have said things like "WHY ARE YOU STILL GOING TO WEIGHT WATCHERS?? YOU DON'T NEED TO LOSE ANY MORE WEIGHT!" I can't tell you how many times I have said "I want to make sure I don't regain it! - Weight Watchers is my lifestyle, not a diet."

(Reading and posting to this board is a big part of my support system. :))

Rose

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

Guest claire52

It's so true CrystalRose - which is how I made it to lifetime and look where I am now. Sadly I had to get back up to this weight, but at least I know this time around that I need to "ignore" those around me and stick with my gut. Literally!

Another company with an employee health and fitness plan - sounds like they are doing it right!

" . . . The company ranks workers on their fitness, from platinum, gold and silver down to "non-medal." To achieve platinum, they must reach fitness goals and be nonsmokers -- and the company offers smoking cessation classes.

For employees, reaching platinum means a three-day, company-paid trip each summer to climb a 14,000-foot peak in Colorado. This year, 103 qualified, the most ever. And 70 made the climb.

For the company, the payoff is significantly lower health-care costs. The company pays less than $4,000 per employee, about half the regional average and a savings of more than $2 million. That makes the $400,000 Lincoln Industries spends each year on wellness a bargain.

"The return on investment is extraordinary," Orme says.

The investment in "wellness" pays other dividends, according to Orme. He says fitter workers are more productive, have better morale and are safer. As evidence, he points to worker's compensation claims. Ongoing safety training and an increasingly fit workforce have pushed worker's comp costs down from $500,000 five years ago to less than $10,000 so far this year.

Seven years ago, shift leader Howard Tegtmeier was in the non-medal category. The 49-year-old smoked, drank, was overweight and took 12 pills a day to treat high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes . . . "

complete article is here:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/07/25/fn.healthy.company/index.html

Rose

Guest mom2twingems

My DF works for Blue Cross and they offer WW at a discounted rate I believe but still..

I do the monthly pass for $39.95 a month with free e-tools online and thats a good deal. I wonder if he gets discounts on products?????

My friend got a bunch of people at her job to sign up and someone from WW comes to her work. The do 3-6 months at a time I believe...

My husband's health insurance offers a deal on WW and health club membership reimbursement. The kicker, WW where I am, doesn't participate because they are a franchise, and there are no participating gyms down here. My husband's company is based out of Minnesota, and we live in Florida.

Cricket

SW: 218

CW: 180 :bcb_down 1/2 way back to the "BAD PLACE."

GW: 145

Success is a journey, not a destination, enjoy the ride.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-graciante

While I think it's great what they're doing, wouldn't you think people who work in health care would already know how to eat healthy and exercise?

In weight loss and wellness, studies have shown that the knowledge gap is not the problem. It is the DOING that is the problem. Having a FREE program at work will provide more incentive for the DOING. The shortage of health care workers coupled with rising health care costs and more patients to care for has everyone stressed. Direct patient care is an extremely stressful, demanding job. The majority of physcians I know are not in stellar physical shape either. They are people with stresses just like everyone else that need help putting the knowledge into practice.

Christena

SW: 193

CW: 193

GW: 130