Health Discovery Network
Guest Number1FemaleNinja

Frustration and Depression Setting In

Guest Number1FemaleNinja

I'm here making another attempt at losing the weight. I have not been on for some time.:bcb_anima

I'm so frustrated because I look for the healthy foods even when I am OP. I cannot eat anything with aspartame in it any more becuase I was using too much and, I believe, it was causing my body to go haywire. After having weened myself off of it, I purchased the book "YOU on a Diet" to see if there was anything useful in there. My parent's neighbor lost over 100 lbs following the guidelines of the book. I read the book and even tried to go to the store with the grocery list in the book to stock up on some things to cook. The book says to stay away from White Flour, High Frustose Corn Syrup, and nasty fats. I was half way through my shopping trip and called my boyfriend crying. You can't find any of these things in a normal grocery store. I was going to try the 14 day 're-booting' progam they have in there that should help with eating properly and 'fixing' your body chemistry so you don't have the cravings and whatnot. I know, for me, that the aspartame was causing me to eat more because I feel about 100x better than when I was using it. I'm at a loss at this point and horribly frustrated. I can't seem to stay on track.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I feel pretty hopeless. I was able to lose over 30 lbs when I was OP before and I cannot seem to get back to that state of mind.. even when I was attending meetings which was not that long ago.

If there is anyone out there with any insight into how to do this, any adivce would be greatly appreciated. I'm at the end of my rope.

Have you tried the Core plan? If not, go to the Core forum and read the basics, some of the recipes, etc. I have a couple of Dr. Roizen's books, but I don't have You, On A Diet. However, from the other books, I am certain that the Core plan is close to what the book you mentioned would recommend.

You might also check out the Beck Workbook thread:

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186489&highlight=Beck+workbook

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

Your grocery store doesn't carry lean meats, fish, fruits and vegetables, healthy oils, brown rice, potatoes, eggs, pasta, nuts, cheese, cereal, skim milk, etc? I haven't read Dr. Oz's book, but I know that's pretty much what the basis of his program is.

It seems like you're looking for some magic formula or "diet food". It all comes down to eating better food, less of it and moving more.

Many, if not most people here eat heartily and healthy without eating aspartame or the other things you mention. I avoid most of those things you mention and have no problem finding enough things to eat any of my local grocery stores.

I hate to say you're using the aspartame thing as an excuse, but it kind of sounds like it.

Guest Number1FemaleNinja

It is certainly not just because of the aspartame. I can find a lot of things without that and yes I was able to find the things you listed. However, there is a 14 day 'rebooting' program that he has in there and I was trying to do that. I couldn't find things that contained 100% whole grains. It was really frustrating. Also, there is next to nothing that doesn't have MSG in it. Even the things that are labled no MSG have yeast enzymes etc that are basically the same excitotoxin as MSG but it doesn't have to labeled that way. I've just come to the conclusion that it won't work for me and I need to try something else. I can't afford half the things it tells you to eat! $1.25 for flour and $5.50 for 100 % whole wheat flour. I was really overwhelmed because the motivation was there until I went to the store and had label shock. I make a decent pay check but I have a mortgage to pay.

I'm not trying to whine and moan. I know there is no magic food or bullet. I do believe that there is something to the body chemistry issue in that it can either work for us or against us. I'm just in a position that I have a hard time controlling what I am eating and it was disappointing to me that I could not follow the 'reprogramming' because of the cost and difficulty of finding foods that don't contain HFCS, white processed flour, simple sugars, or hydrogenated oils. I was looking forward to at least trying to bring my body back into homeostasis. It just seems unrealistic for me at this time; that is disappointing and frustrating. I have a lot of the belly fat that the doctor's talk about and have a really stressful job working with seriously mentally ill adults. Again, I was hoping to kind of jump start my eating plan with 'mending' my body and getting my waist line under control.

I kind of left my post open because I could use the constructive criticism and support. I have very little of that at the present moment. As I said my job is stressful and to top that off it has become the place where everyone is obsessed with their weight. I work with a lot of women and struggle with that, as well. The one person I seem to be able to talk to (or even wants to talk to me) talks about herself constantly and about all the weight she has lost. Saying that I am not jealous at all would be a lie but it would still be nice to have a support and not someone preaching her diet gospel to me. I have very realistic goals for myself and I don't think that the weight is going to come off over night.

I would really like to know where to start to get myself motivated and on an even keel so I can combat my high stress level and learn to eat normally.

Number1FemaleNinja - First of all, I am sorry that you are having such a hard time right now. Fighting this battle can certainly be overwhelming and I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling.

My question to you is, are you currently following WW? If so, do you go to meetings (have you gone in the past?) I used to go to meetings but couldnt' justify the expence b/c I couldn't find a meeting that I "clicked" with, but I have all of the materials and I keep them in my bedside table and at night I sometimes re-read through them to get a bit of a "refresher". If you havent' gone to meetings - can you go? It sounds like you are looking for a support system "in real life" and if you walk into a WW meeting you are pretty much guaranteed to find people struggling in similar ways.

Maybe you should just go back to basics for a bit? Figure out how many points you shoudl be eating, and focus on that for a week. Pick a wi day and stick to it. If you choose to do core, plan a menu and take a list to the grocery store. Once you get into a routine maybe you can pick a mini-goal with a mini reward for yourself (manicure, new book, etc)

Perhaps setting even just 15 minutes every day to plan out what you need to do for YOU will help you re-adjust to where you need to be. Take a look on the boards here and see if there is a subset of people with similarities to yours (location, age, etc.)

Hang in there - you CAN do this...all that matters is today. Start right now, once you get going your momentum will help you through!

Take care,

Cait

~Caitlin~

HW:252 SW:241.6 CW179.4 WWGW:160

Guest Christen83

I really think the core plan could help you greatly. Take a look at the core board and the core recipes. It is very hard to get away from HFCs and MSG, but the more food your prepare yourself using whole foods the better off you'll be, and the better you'll feel. There isn't a must buy "reprogramming" list on core and I never have to venture outside my normal grocery store for the foods. And have a very simple list of weekly groceries I buy consisting mostly of lean meats, fresh fruits & veggies and whole grains (whole wheats couscous, brown rice, bulgar, oatmeal, etc).

That being said I understand how hard that first week or so can be. I went a little off plan last week and I'm struggling with cravings now. But planning out my daily menu, snacks included, is the key for me to stay OP. We all falter now and then, but picking yourself up and moving on with a plan in place is the key to long term success.

Good luck, you've deffinately come to the right place for support, but first you need to have a bit more faith in yourself. You sound a bit defeated already, so if possible try to wipe the slate clean, make a plan for yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!

It seems to me that you are over thinking a lot of things in regards to weight loss and bodily responses. As you say, there is "no magic food or bullet" that will kill cravings, make you lose weight faster, or whatever else you are worried about. At the end of the day, what really matters is calories in

The best advice I can give, which the other reply's agree, is try Core which focuses on natural foods without all the added sugars and whatnot. Follow the healthy 8 guidelines, eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and study other peoples menus.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to health, if you get too involved trying to figure out a perfect way to win the battle, you will probably lose. It only takes a little change and effort to reap big rewards.

Guest Number1FemaleNinja

I started on flex but this week I will take a serious look at the core foods list and see how many I can incorporate. I like a lot of different things and I am open to trying anything once so I think I can do that. I weighed myself in last night on my Wii Fit and also started My Weight Loss Coach on my DS (it comes with a pedometer and everything) :bcb_LOL:.

I do tend to over think things.. I know that is one of the reasons I think I have increased stress in my life.

I have previously done WW (several times in fact). I think I am one of those people that keeps it all too. I was previously going to a meeting close to my old apartment which was great. It was small and it was at one of the Weight Watchers centers but I have sinced moved much further west and it isn't fesible for me to drive all the way out there. So, I tried one in my new area but it was so large that we spent nearly the entire time doing celebrations. Don't get me wrong.. I love celebrations especially when I get a blue ribbon :bcb_wink3 but I needed more 'education' which I couldn't get there. The leaders were great but one is too far and the other is too large.

I apprecaite everyone's responses. I am going to look over the core food list and make a shopping list for next week.

I would toss the Dr Oz book and the rebooting idea. I am sorry you are having such a tough time now. CORE is so easy and there is hardly any thinking involved and NO Stress. It 's all good healthy unprocessed foods. You don't need to get too fancy because avoiding aspartame is tough. Just eat the foods as they are without additives etc. There are so many to choose from. CORE is like real life.

And I read somewhere that the Wii fit scale is not all that accurate so get a good reading somewhere consistent once a week and feel certain you have the right weight.

And I meant to add read read read.. This site has tons of places for learning and advice. It's as good as meeting with not celebrations or talk about food. I know meetings are valuable but here you can also go at your pace. Try both!

Good luck

Peg

I agree with Peg-the more you stress yourself out over your program, the greater the chances you have of throwing in the towel. A healthy lifestyle is something that shouldn't fill you with anxiety! It should make you feel GOOD! Toss the book and try Core.

weight.png

~*Torrey*~

SW: 219

CW: 184.2

GW: 140

image.php?u=26941&type=sigpic&dateline=1208401184

You've been given a lot of great advice here. It's time to change your mindset, and just DO IT. Read the training manual...there are a TON of excellent posts there.

Also, I'm just jealous that you have a WII FIT!!! I want one and can't find them anywhere here!!:bcb_cry:

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.

Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.

Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com

I also think you may be overthinking it a bit for right now.

Pick the plan you are going to do-flex, core, Dr. Oz's plan. Stick with it. It is too early in the game to try to combine all three of those.

Early on in this weight loss journey I ate too much processed, salty food. It didn't matter at the time. I just needed to get the flex plan down. I got the 8 GHG's in but the rest of my points weren't exactly nutritious. I gradually substituted healthier, less processed foods for the junk. I couldn't have done it all at once.

Hang in there-you are going to do great!

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

Guest Christen83
And I read somewhere that the Wii fit scale is not all that accurate so get a good reading somewhere consistent once a week and feel certain you have the right weight.

My Wii fit is always perfectly in sync w/ my WW meetings (using the extenders on carpet) and it has a nifty little built in graph.

Recipes have saved me from the processed food world we live in. I have a subscription to prevention & mother earth news magazines and they have the absolute BEST recipes for healthy, low fat, organic, non processed foods.

Think "hippie" when you eat. Brown rice, brown breads with nuts, fresh produce, lean meats, ect. Go to the organic section of your market and see what they have. Also, don't forget your local farmers markets, they have a good variety of the freshest produce with no preservatives or additives.

Dont' give up and if you fall off the wagon get back on and keep trying!!

SW~223 CW~177~GW~165

Guest Number1FemaleNinja

Thank you everyone for your input. I did read what everyone has suggested. :bcb_LOL:

Just checking in to see how you're doing?

Oh, and I DID get the "Wii Fit"! I love it! My granddaughter's used it for the first time last night, and the older one REALLY enjoyed it (man can she hoola-hoop!) I'll have to try the extenders, though. The scale on it, on the carpet is about 5lb less than my scale (which was a nice # to see!:bcb_grin)

But, I spend so much time at the gym, I really don't use it all that much.

Tell us how you're doing!!

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.

Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.

Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com