Health Discovery Network
gracie83

I am not going to weigh...well maybe someday

I am so tired of having how I view myself depend on that stupid scale! If I'm "up" a little (even if I've stayed OP perfectly), I feel defeated. If I'm "down," I feel like the world is a fantastic place and I could tackle it one handed. I really don't like the power it has. So, I've decided to weigh once a month. This should give me a fair representation of overall weight loss. Has anyone else done this and how did it go for you? Easier? More difficult? Thoughts?

Laura

Started at:234

Currently:217.6

Goal:141

DW to one amazing guy; Mom to 4 :)

weight.png

Ugh, I understand all too well what you mean about giving too much power to a piece of mechanical equipment. In the end, its simply a gadget invented to measure the amount of force you exert against the ground. Not a moral compass, not even your CV. Nothing to measure your worth as a human being.

Having said that, it is the tool you're using to measure your progress towards a goal. I think if you're considering dumping it, you would be wise to come up with an alternative method that you can use more often then once a month, because frankly, a lot of damage can done to your progress in a month without you really even noticing.

Do you have any jeans that are tight and non-stretch? Try them on at least once a week. Or take your measurements, or something. Because me, I can pick up ten pounds in a heart-beat, and if I'm wearing loose skirts or stretchy leggings, I won't notice at all. The last time I fell off program, I finally made myself got back on a scale when I was sure I had gained some weight back, and was ready to face the 10 or 12 pounds I thought I'd picked up.

I'd picked up 21.

If you feel really confident that you can stay OP and lose without the need to monitor in any way, well, maybe you can. But I sure as heck can't.

If you're not positive, find some other guideline that you can go by.

(Contrary to what I try over and over to convince myself, jeans don't just shrink in the drawer do to lack of wear.)

DF

weight.png

I have a brain that is prone to obsess. I didn't weigh for the first two months I was on WW. The minute I weighed everything became about the numbers. I am back to not weighing. Really and truely doing this isn't about scale numbers. I am trying to figure out how to eat and how much is too much.

I want to get in a hurry at times but I didn't get this way over night. Fast weightloss won't last.

http://momentarian.blogspot.com

My blog focusing on understanding and inspiring myself hopefully to become a better human and a place to share what I have figured out for myself.

I also did not weigh when I first joined WW on line. I finally did so after two months OP Core. I was pleased to see the result and sad I did not know EXACTLY how much I had lost.

People here helped me learn the scale is a tool only. I now WI every Monday and report to WW online and to my ticker. It is a tool. I see where I have been and where I am now and I think back to what I did or did not eat or exercise the past week and adjust accordingly. JUST Like I used to do when I was thin.

So go easy on yourself but get back on the scale when you are ready it is just a tool. Like a thermometer. No judgment just a reading.

Peg

Have you also been using a tape measure as a tool? Many times when I've had a "bad" weigh in I'll whip out the tape measure, and sure enough I've still lost inches! It's another good tool to show you where you've been and where you're heading.

weight.png

~*Torrey*~

SW: 219

CW: 184.2

GW: 140

image.php?u=26941&type=sigpic&dateline=1208401184

I agree with using the measuring tape often. Last month I only lost 6 lbs for the month but lost 3 inches around my hips. The scale lies when it comes down to true fat loss. You could be gaining muscle that is putting what looks like pounds on the scale. Also, I know I shouldn't but I weigh myself every day, I'm very obsessive when it comes to the scale. If I'm up I attribute it to hormones, water retention, stress, ect. and go on and try to rev up my diet & exercise routine a bit. It always comes off eventually. :bcb_smile

SW~223 CW~177~GW~165

I have been where you are and felt that frustration with being a slave to the numbers on a scale.

When I didn't weigh myself though I found it easier to slip because I wasn't watching as closely. The compromise for me has to be not a daily or multiple times a day weigh in but simply once a week and go with the number. As long as I am OP then what the scale says isn't controlling my life -- I am.

Grace

:kickbutt:

Back to WW for Good 8/6/2010

When I didn't weigh myself though I found it easier to slip because I wasn't watching as closely. ]

Yes, I am now finding this to be true. I will go back to weighing once a week. Thankfully, I have broken the habitual weighing (sometimes 3 times a day!:bcb_blush) and can feel the effects of staying OP without seeing a number. It was actually quite freeing, but I will agree that it is easier to slip.

Laura

Started at:234

Currently:217.6

Goal:141

DW to one amazing guy; Mom to 4 :)

weight.png

Once a month could work. Personally I now know that I depend on a scale to keep myself on track.Once I went to the Dominican in April, I came back and went right onto a navy contract until the end of June and then to Ireland (where I'll be until December). So it was close to three months with no scale and so no tracking and wow, it does not feel good. Luckily I found a scale for 5 euros yesterday, and even though I can't get one in pounds (this is in stones and kilograms), it's definitely going to help.

So I would say try a month, and maybe if that doesn't work, every two weeks might work better.

weight.png

SW: 148.5

CW: 128.6

GW: 120

I go to meetings so I weight at the meeting. I do weigh at home sometimes, but not daily. It helps keep me focused.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

I think not weighing is a GREAT decision! I know I'm too dependent on exernal measures like the scale, and need to be taking more internal cues - do I feel better, stronger etc. Some days I almost believe that I would stay on WW even if I never lost weight, because I just feel so much better being OP, aside from the weight loss. Also, I'm a slow loser, so the scale isn't really offering me that much positive reinforcement. That said, I'm still something of a scale junkie, but I'm trying to break the habit. Lillie

Just a comment re: weight loss and the scale, I wondered if anyone has felt this way before:

Have you ever been scared to enter a certain weight range? Like as if there is this big hurdle in front of it...That's how I feel...I feel like the 140s for me are this brand new realm and I'm scared to enter into it, although I am not sure why. Maybe it's because I can't remember the last time I was there!

Does anyone else feel this way, or have they overcome this...if so, how did you do it?

Thanks

Sherise

~Keep on Keepin on~

Have you ever been scared to enter a certain weight range? Like as if there is this big hurdle in front of it...That's how I feel...I feel like the 140s for me are this brand new realm and I'm scared to enter into it, although I am not sure why. Maybe it's because I can't remember the last time I was there!

Does anyone else feel this way, or have they overcome this...if so, how did you do it?

Thanks

Sherise

Oh yeah, lots of times -- culminating in the Biggest Scare of ALL... Reaching Goal (cue scary music). That sort of fear can be a real dealbreaker. This time around I've felt MUCH more secure because I realize that whatever I weigh, what I do to stay OP is exactly the same thing I was doing before -- that doesn't change. (OK, there's a few extra maintenance points added in, but still.)

Others on these boards have said that reaching goal (either the official goal or maybe some interim goal) doesn't mean that everything changes for you -- good or bad. It's a really good point. We're the same people we always were.

Liz

First joined: 1986, lifetime 1991

Recommitted: 11/28/2007

Start weight: 198.4

Goal: 150 (6/5/08)

Currently: 149.4 (2/12/09)

PG: 145

weight.png

Guest mom2twingems

It is unfortunate that WW sticks to the scale as the only measurement for weight loss. I mean anything other would be too difficult.

I often wonder if I will ever make it to goal (100+lbs) only in the sense that I was around my goal in my younger days and it was a number. It was the highest in the range but they dont take into account measurements. The scale is really just a number. My WW scale at home is different than the one at WI so..................whatever