Health Discovery Network
Guest starbrite

potential meal schedule-

Guest starbrite

i have a sample meal plan im planning on starting tomorrow. please tell me what you think.

breakfast: special k cereal + 1/2 cup of ff milk=3 points

fresh squeezed orange juice from 2 oranges=2 points

lunch: any frozen meal from smart ones ( upto six points)

salad with 1 dash of ff caesar dressing = 1 point

diet coke

snack: progresso ww soup (2 servings)= 1 point

1 serving of fruit=1 point

dinner: any frozen meal from smart ones (upto six points)

2 servings of frozen veggies (peppers, onions,mushrooms)

salad- 1 point

1/2 cup of ff cottage cheese- 1 point

diet coke

dessert- ww smart ones dessert- up to three points

i calculate this up to 23-26 points daily.

how does this sound? I am concerned because i know frozen entrees can add too much sodium. but does anyone think this sounds okay/

also, i will have 2 veggie servings from salad, 2 from the frozen veggies, 1 from the fruit , and is it 2 more for the oranges-or only 1 cuz its squeezed?

please let me know-your advice is greatly apprecaited! oh and 2 cups of water at each meal

How many points are you supposed to eat in a day?

I'm concerned about the heavy reliance on packaged foods. The sodium is high, and you don't want to get into a routine of high sodium since that can be bad for long term health.

Make sure you're getting the 8 Good Health Guidelines every day. I don't see them met on your sample menu.

You don't have 2 dairy servings. You need 1 cup of milk to make a dairy serving, and 2 cups of cottage cheese. Look over the list of dairy options and make sure you get at least 2.

I also don't see any oils in your menu. You need 2 teaspoons of healthy oil a day. You could use them to dress your salad.

You put that your salad is 1 point - is that for the dressing or something else?

This doesn't have to be a DIET. Whatever you do to lose the weight is what you'll do to maintain the loss, so don't get into habits (like eating all packaged meals) that you don't want to continue for the rest of your life. You probably don't want to be eating packaged meals your whole life - all those preservatives won't do a whole lot to preserve YOU!

Plan quick and easy meals that are points friendly and you can take for lunch the next day. Check out the recipe sections here. Use lots of whole foods. Experiment with whole grains like bulgur, barley, quinoa, brown rice, etc.

Good luck!

Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

What Momaste said. :)

Plus - I find I'm far more filled if I have a hot, whole grain cereal (oatmeal, oat bran, Wheatena, etc) rather than a processed packaged cereal in the morning. You might also consider eating the 2 fresh oranges rather than squeezing them - it will fill you up more, and also has more nutritional value than the juice alone (keep the fiber in). You also might consider having some sort of protein with your cereal in the morning (1/2 c. of cottage cheese, or a yogurt, or something like that).

I've also discovered that packaged meals have very little "real" food for the points value - it's disappointing, actually. The only Smart Ones I really like are the Santa Fe Rice and Beans, which I find can fill me up for lunch.

Do you have a rice cooker? (I'd recommend it...) You can cook a few days' worth of rice (or quinoa, or barley) in just a short while, while you're doing other things (showering? Dressing?)and then have that on hand for add-ins for lunch or dinner. Barley keeps reaaally well in the freezer.

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

Guest starbrite

thanks so much for your replies-they are extremely appreciated.

i am supposed to be eating 24 points a day-sorry i never mentioned that.

i did not realize it was 2 servings of dairy, i completely forgot. but i am lactose intolerant, where i can only handle half a cup of milk or dairy products. so me eating ceral with milk and even having half a cup of cottage cheese is alot. i figured the cheese in the frozen meals would compensate. no?

the healthy oils, i will use when i sautree my frozen veggies.

the one point for salad is for the dash of dressing (low cal ) i will add, and 2 croutons.

i absolutely 110% agree with the reliance on packaged foods, not being good. but , i tried ww for the last two years. and i have tried to do my own cooking and being creative. but unfortunately and embaressingly enough, i can do it for a few days, than i really fall off the wagon. n i just get so depressed that i sink really low and pig out. and then it takes a long time for me to climb back on. i realize that the only only way i can stay on points and still feel full and content is when i eat the frozen meals. cuz i can eat favorites like pasta and icecream.

it's embaressing but i feel like i have no will power. i work a 12 hour shift, and i have to study for my exams. my room mate is heavily dependent on fast food 4 times a day, so its really tempting. my bf also eats out 24/7 and im always with him. the only way i try to stay away from it, is when i have a ready made smart ones in the freezer waiting for me to eat instead.

i know that the sodium cntent is high, but i dont add any salt to my food on my own, or to my cooking, so is it okay? plus im going to drink 10 cups of water a day.

in the past, when i go grocery shopping, i buy the smart ones anyways, and the smart ones desserts. nothings ww unhealthy on my shopping cart. but its when i end up going out to eat a few times tha week, or when i attempt to do some cooking, that i fall off board.

i know if i worked hard, i could make my own food, and it would be healthier and yummier than smart ones . but i dont think i have hte time or energy to do it at the moment.

that being said, is this diet okay, eve with its heavy reliance on packaged foods to lose weight? will i lose weight with it? i will attempt to work out daily, but with my busy schedule it sometimes is really hard.

If you're lactose intolerant, consider lactose free milk or soy alternatives. If you can manage 1/2 c. milk at a time, try doing that 4 times a day and your dairy is covered. Soy yogurt is surprisingly tasty and 1 cup counts as dairy as well. I would not rely on frozen meals to count as dairy servings. If nothing else, take calcium supplements, but that should be a last resort.

I think that there are more options for staying content and in your comfort zone (NOT FULL!) than just relying on frozen meals. What about making your own? One day a week, make a big batch of something healthy - whole wheat pasta with sauteed veggies and lean meat, tossed with olive oil, for example, or chili with beans over brown rice - and portion it out into meal sized packages to freeze. Pull one out when it's meal time and microwave it like you would a frozen dinner. Do you have a crockpot? There are tons of meals that you can toss in the crockpot and leave all day - hardly any prep work required.

Then YOU are then in control of what goes into the food, the quality of ingredients, the amount of sodium, and I'll bet you won't need to add anything that you can't pronounce. One day a week spend an hour in the kitchen and you'll have a few meals ready to go.

I think you have to make it a priority to get in the healthy menu that your body needs. If you are able to lose the weight eating frozen dinners, are you going to want to continue to eat them the rest of your life? What is going to change between now and then to teach you how to make the real changes necessary to keep the weight off? Make the steps now to have the kind of menu that you want to be eating at goal - real, whole foods.

Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

You will lose weight if you stay within points. You will keep it off if you learn how to manage your eating so that you're not falling off the wagon every few days. With working 12-hour shifts, is it possible to just steer clear of your BF when he wants to eat out? Or make it a special, once-a-week thing? Can you study for exams in a library or somewhere else where your roommate is not tempting you with takeout? Or can you fit a single takeout/fast food meal into your day (or every couple of days)?

WW works if you want it to work. If you have the commitment (my substitute word for "willpower") to work 12-hour shifts, plus study for exams, you have the ability to commit to choose not to fill your body with junk. I know it's sometimes easier to reach for the junk that others are eating, but you already know that's not right for you.

Could you try using just one packaged meal a day, instead of relying on it for two?

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

I work full-time and go to law school at night - plus I have a child who loves to eat out. You just have to plan for it if you really want to lose weight. Take some extra time on the weekends and cook up some easy to grab things to eat during the week - salads are also easy too - with some chicken or imitation crab or tuna on top for that staying power.

I personally hate frozen meals :bcb_sick: - I'd fall off the wagon every other day if I had to eat them twice a day! :bcb_yuck:

I'm a corbie too - so that means even more planning - but it IS possible and not that much extra work. You just have to decide if you actually are committed to losing the weight or not and proceed accordingly.

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

Guest starbrite

thank you very much for your advice. to be honest, everything you are saying is not new to me, i agree with everything 100%. i have done ww before, off/on/ off /on where i cooked. i am a vegetarian, and i know i can just as easily make veggie burgers, or veggie pasta, etc.

i know eating so much frozen foods, will make me SICK to death of it very soon. so that's why i sort of want to try it for a week or two, get into a routine of knowing i can stick to it, and then wean in and start adding a meal of my own to it daily. for instance, i need 14 frozen meals a week. but i only bought 9. so i know somewhere in there, i will do my own cooking.

i sort of am i guess using this as a quick crash diet. im unfortunately with my roommate and bf 24/7 as we work together, and study together. but i have given into fast food a few times, but i made sure it was subway. and normally if i go out to eat, i just get wheat bread slices and some veggies. the french fries are the killer for me, lol

i sort of am i guess using this as a quick crash diet.

That's not what this is. You may want to refocus.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

i sort of am i guess using this as a quick crash diet. im unfortunately with my roommate and bf 24/7 as we work together, and study together. but i have given into fast food a few times, but i made sure it was subway. and normally if i go out to eat, i just get wheat bread slices and some veggies. the french fries are the killer for me, lol

Like Luanne said, this is most definitely not a crash diet. Weight Watchers is about changing your habits to make a lifestyle change, something you can live with to maintain the loss. If you're going to get into a routine, get into one that you want to continue doing!

There are lots of fast and easy vegetarian meals that don't rely so heavily on packaged foods. Think about foods that can hit a few of your 8 good health guidelines at once and are quick to prepare. We're talking about this over on the Core board right now so it's fresh in my mind!

My favorite breakfast takes all of 5 minutes, is vegetarian, and hits 5 good health guidelines. Applesauce oatmeal - 1/4 c. dry rolled oats (regular quick oats, not a packet), 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce, 1/3 c. nonfat dry milk, 1/2 c. or more to taste of water, a dash of cinnamon, sweetener if you want it (the applesauce is sweet enough for me). Mix together, microwave for 5 minutes, and stir in 1 teaspoon of healthy oil. Enjoy! This is a very hearty and satisfying breakfast that has whole grain and protein, a serving of fruit, dairy, and a healthy oil. It's 5 points and keeps me going all morning.

Another idea is a big pot of chili. Try the Pumpkin Chili Mexicana with double the beans and no meat. It takes less than half an hour, and most of that is just simmering on the stove. If you divy it up to 6 servings, it's 6 points per serving (and it makes a BIG pot - it could easily be more than 6 servings depending on how hungry you are!) and has protein, a healthy oil, and 2-3 vegetables in each serving. Serve it over a whole grain like bulgur, whole wheat couscous, or brown rice that cook at the same time and you get another of the daily 8 covered. Top it with an ounce and a half of cheese and another of your daily 8s (and tasty!) This is a super satisfying meal, too. Your roommate and bf could eat this, too.

You get the idea. There are a lot of really delicious meals that take very little time, are super simple, and can be eaten for a few days without relying on the prepackaged meals.

i sort of am i guess using this as a quick crash diet. im unfortunately with my roommate and bf 24/7 as we work together, and study together. but i have given into fast food a few times

You really need to decide if you're committed to this or not. WW isn't a crash diet. And if you really want to lose the weight you'll stand up to your roommate and BF and say hey this is what I need to do to lose the weight - and this is what I need for the two of you to do to support me... :bcb_drill

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

I really recommend purchasing a crock pot and making meals in it. They are ready when you come home for dinner, and you can take leftovers for lunch the next day. It is really easy. Just throw some stuff in and go about your day. There are some great recipes posted in the recipe section, but it can be as easy as throwing in a couple frozen chicken breasts and going. I really like putting chicken breasts with a can of rotel tomatoes and green chilies and a packet of taco seasoning (low sodium if you can find it). It is really yummy.

I do commend you for making your meal plan ahead of time and really trying to think it out. While we all wish we could just drop 10 pounds in a week, it just isn't realistic long term. Weight watchers is something manageable that will help you re-think how you eat for life.