Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
OutdoorGyrl

Over-training Help (Too much exercise)???

Hello everyone,

Well, I've been doing Weight Watchers for eight months now, combined with a quite intense workout schedule. I have been bumping up my cardio sessions, because my body feels better when I work out more (I can't believe that I am actually saying that, who would have thought!) and I've lost 102 lbs total, which is just over 2.5 lb average per week.

Anyway, some of the people from the gym have voiced their concerns that I may be over-training, or working out too much, which has lead me to become paranoid that I am going to end up doing more harm, than good. At the same time, I don't feel sore or tired and my body feels better than it has in years. I've been asking many people this question and some long-time trainers have told me that my schedule looks okay, especially since it is such a wide variety and stretched throughout the day.

For some background info, I am eating enough and combine plenty of lean proteins with fruit, veggies and whole grains. I stick within my point value and I eat ALL of my activity points, to account for the exercise. I also drink a TON of water. I'm afraid if I back off, I'll stop losing or that it will slow down. Plus, I don't feel right when I don't exercise and I end up sluggish and more tired than when I am active.

Also, I get 7 1/2 to 8 hours of sleep per day and I don't work out if I'm feeling tired or sore. As long as I'm feeling good, here is a regular week for me. I'm just looking to see if anyone here has opinions on whether or not this seems like "over-training" or if it looks okay.

Monday

Body Pump (cardio weight lifting) 6:15 - 7:00 AM

Cardio on the elliptical : 7:00 - 7:15 AM

Cardio on the treadmill (level 15 incline) 12:15 - 1:00 PM

Step Class or running : 5:30 - 6:30 PM

TOTAL WORKOUT : 2 HRS. 45 MIN.

Tuesday

Body Step Class : 6:15 - 7:00 AM

Swim (laps in the pool, moderate inensity) : 12:15 - 1:00 PM

Roller Blading or other cardio (moderate level) : 7:00 - 8:00 PM

TOTAL WORKOUT : 2 1/2 HRS

Wednesday

Body Pump (cardio weight lifting) 6:15 - 7:00 AM

Cardio on the treadmill (level 15 incline, 4 MPH) 12:15 - 1:00 PM

Body Combat (kickboxing) 5:30 - 6:30 PM

Cardio on treadmill or run: 6:30 - 7:15

TOTAL WORKOUT : 3 HRS 15 MIN

Thursday

Body Step Class : 6:15 - 7:00 AM

Swim (laps in the pool, moderate intensity) : 12:15 - 1:00 PM

Running or other cardio : 6:00 - 7:00 PM

TOTAL WORKOUT : 2 HRS 45 MIN

Friday

Gliding Class : 6:15 - 7:00 AM

Weight Training : 12:00 - 1:00 PM

AFTERNOON OFF

TOTAL WORKOUT : 1 HR 45 MIN.

Saturday

Body Step Class : 8:30 - 9:30 AM

Swimming (laps in the pool, moderate) : 45 min.

Bike Ride : 1 hour

Run : 30 min.

TOTAL WORKOUT : 3 HR 15 MIN

Sunday

Day off

TOTAL FOR THE WEEK : 16 hrs

FYI - I am also training for a Sprint Triathlon in August, which is why there is a lot of swimming, biking and running in there, plus lots of cross-training.

So, is it too much? Or am I good to go?

Thanks!

The first sign of overtraining is irritability. If people are saying you've gotten bitchy lately, that's the first clue. Next would be the inability to recover in time for the next workout. That is, sore muscles and tiredness. You might also become a bit forgetful, unable to concentrate or flit from task to task without focus. (Gee that kind of fits a lot of people regardless of how much they work out doesn't it?)

Otherwise, ignore them as long as it feels good.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Wow, Sumo, thanks a million! That is really helpful. I SO have been there!

MO#83

I can't say if you are overtraining or not. I think sumo has some good guages to help you determine. Some things that I would consider:

1. The American somebody or other suggests between 60-90 minutes of exercise A DAY now, a guideline that used to be 30 minutes 3x a week.

2. You are training for a triatholon; the training schedule for that is much more intense than just "working out", you are in training.

3. IMHO, LOVE Body Step! The budget doesn't allow for the gym membership anymore, and I really miss that class!

4. You are correct, when you stop working out 2-3 hours a day, and eventually you probably will, your weight loss will slow; prepare mentally for that.

5. I'm no expert, so take it all with a grain of salt if you'd like! :bcb_blush

Don't try, do...

BethAnn

:bcb_happy Proud Mom of DS, Zane, 11

HW: 282 :bcb_sick: SW: 279 :bcb_down GW: 150... On my weigh to goal :bcb_march

The best thing to do is monitor your resting pulse rate. Your low end heart rate should remain fairly constant. Mine's about 55, but if I get up one day and it's 65 then I worked too hard the day before and I either need a day off or a light workout. 60 isn't enough to be concerned about, 70 means I'm coming down with something serious. If it stays elevated for a 2 or 3 days, you're sinking and you need to scale back your whole routine.

You should take your pulse in the morning before getting out of bed and get to know what it is normally so you'll recognize when it's out of whack. This is more difficult to do than it sounds. I'll wake up at 5 AM and stare at my clock for a few seconds, then put my fingers to my wrist and start counting one, two, three, snzzzzz. Ten minutes later I'll try again. I usually get it on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

i don't know if you're over training (i'm just impressed you have the time to do all that in one day!). but on the triathlon training, i do have some advice. i just trained for and completed my first sprint tri earlier this year. i've done one other one since then and am currently training for a 10k and another sprint in the fall. so i'm no expert, but i have a smidge bit of a background. i just wondered if you are following a training program or if you were making up your own? i ask because for triathlon training, your program is high on cardio classes and very low on triathlon, for example, you only bike once a week. i would highly suggest getting a structured program for your triathlon so you can finish it successfully. i'm sure with your exercise, you're in better shape than me, but you probably should spend more time on the tri specific training sessions and bricks and less time with the cardio classes. i would suggest checking out beginnertriathlete.com and their free training programs. i suggest them b/c i've used it for my triathlon training and the community is awesome and knowledgeable.

one other thought - is 16 hours a week a maintainable program for you? i mean personally, i couldn't do it with work, social commitments, family and sleep. are you setting up a program that you can maintain? you seem really concerned about gaining weight back, but you know, it's quality over quantity. i don't see how you can do those kinds of sessions day in and day out and not be sore if they are quality sessions. i almost think that you could condense your time and do maybe 10 hours a week (or less!), but make them quality sessions. not saying you aren't putting in quality - but more don't start a habit you can't keep up for the long term, but instead find a way to make your workouts fit into your lifestyle. good luck!

Just noticed you had pretty much the same question a few months back...

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=179725

I agree with Kim - use a training schedule for your sprint. Putting in 16 hours a week IMO is beyond sprint training - more towards IronMan. Also agree with Kim about making your workouts more worthwhile in a shorter amount of time. Even if you have 3 hours a day at this point in your life, will you in 6 months? A year?

Deb Hockey_LRWYUX.gif

SW: 263.2 (5/2/05)

CW: 208 (1/12/08)

minigoal: under 200