Health Discovery Network
Guest starbrite

veggies and fruits-healthy no matter what?

Guest starbrite

i am a pure vegetarian but recently i started consuming egg substitute.

i was wondering if i ate a diet mainly of fruits and vegetables, would it be healthier?

i know that the answer is yes, but does it matter what types? i am sort of a dummy when it comes to what fruit and veggies are good /bad for you.

i know that potato and corn has alot of starch, but if i eat those for my meal instead of a plate of pasta like i normally would, is that better?

i was thinking of trying a baked potato, veggies , some sour creme and 1 point kraft cheese slice for dinner tomorrow.

Guest Starrbrite

I don't know much about vegetarian foods, but I understand that the beans, nuts, and tofu (which I guess is nothing more than soybeans) are really good for vegetarians.

I'm not sure there are any bad vegetables or fruits. I can't imagine gaining weight on them, even bananas, potatoes, and beans. You can only eat so much.

Wish I could be more help.

Is the egg substitute just colored egg whites? That has a lot of protein. As a vegetarian (and I think you said you were lactose intolerant, too, right?) you have to be sure to get enough protein. (It's not that hard, b/c of beans, tofu, etc.)

Re: potatos and corn v. pasta: corn is empty calories - not much nutrition there. Same with white potatos and white pasta. Sweet potatos and wheat pasta are much better nutritionally. So, if you're comparing white pasta against sweet potatos, then I'd say you're better off with the potatos. If you're comparing white potatos against wheat pasta (which also has protein, btw), you're better off with the pasta.

My "thing" is that life is all about balance. Rigid rules don't always get you better nutrition.

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

I don't really think it's accurate to say corn, potatoes and pastas are empty calories. Potatoes, for instance, are a great source of Vitamin C, potassium and are high in fiber and have no fat.

I think fruits and vegetables are a part of an overall healthy balanced diet that includes protein,carbs and healthy oils.

I think you may want to consult a registered dietician to get good sound information on being a vegetarian.

i was thinking of trying a baked potato, veggies , some sour creme and 1 point kraft cheese slice for dinner tomorrow.

This is not a very balanced meal. Try to include protein, carbohydrate, and healthy fat in each meal to get the balanced nutrition your body needs. How about a baked potato (sweet potato would be even better!) with a scoop of vegetable chili (beans), veggies on the side sauteed in 1 t. olive oil, and cheese to equal a full serving of dairy? Adding the beans gives you more protein than the small amount in cheese, and you get in that important healthy oil and a dairy serving.

Eating more fruits and veggies is important, but so is variety and whole grains are so, so good for you, filling and satisfying. Try wheatberries, quinoa, bulgur, barley, etc. instead of your plate of pasta.

Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

I would suggest getting the core food list and using it and its guidelines to hlep you plan well-rounded meals if you are just looking for meal ideas...

a potato, veggies, sour cream and a slice of cheese absolutely can be a balanced, well-rounded meal. i wouldn't want to eat it EVERY day - but it can be a healthy option!

I also agree that consulting a dietician or joining a local vegetarian group (check whole foods stores) could be of great value to you. also - not knowing exactly where you stand on the spectrum of vegetarian-ness it is hard to make specific dietary recommendations.

Stephanie

DD Zadie -4.5 yrs

DS Owen - 19 mths