Health Discovery Network
CrystalRose

Best and Worst Ab Exercises

"A recent study conducted by the Biomechanics Lab at San Diego State University reveals a unique look at 13 of the most common abdominal exercises, ranking them best to worst."

The article also gives directions for doing several of the best.

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/BestWorstAbExercises.pdf

Rose

HW:175

WW Goal: 136

Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006

Personal Goal: 118-123

CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)

BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." Wayne Dyer

Guest LivBean

very interesting!!! thank you for posting!

You couldn't pay me enough to get me back down on the floor for ab work. My abs are in the best shape ever. Nothing has worked as well for me as the standing ab work in Turbo Jam and Hip Hop Abs. Plus, I'm having a ball doing them! To have a six pack at my age after 4 kids? Suh-weet!

Very interesting article. I have so much fat around my midsection I hate crunches. I just want something that works. I'd be interested to try those chair things.

I own Turbo Jam....so you really like the standing ab work? How much do you feel you are "tightening" to get results. I just want to do stuff the right way and not waste my time.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

I "feel" like I'm doing things in the right position. Whether I am or not, I can't be positive. I don't think you have to be perfect to benefit from it. I think what helps too is just overall fat loss. I think all the standing type ab work that you do with the workouts (most I don't even realize I'm working my abs until the next day) are great and I do think they help tighten and tone, but I think just losing the weight and burning the calories through the aeorbics is what helps most. Just my totally unprofessional opinion, tho :)

I run quite a bit and that helps my abs quite a bit. I also make sure I add some core strengthening stuff to my regular weight lifting.

But in the end it's the floor work that gives me the most burn. It doesn't take me very long- but I've found it beneficial.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting, Crystal.

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again