Health Discovery Network
loser

Is it rude to ask someone how much weight they've lost?

Oh my Gosh -- people really ask you how your husband feels about your weight loss??? Or about your intimate life??? Where is the icon for the little guy with his mouth wide open??

That has got to be the craziest thing. Then again I beleive it after some of my friends have told me what people have said to them in other situations.

What has happened to peoples good sense??

Grace

:kickbutt:

Back to WW for Good 8/6/2010

meant to add my all time favorite question....

"So, how does your husband feel about your weight loss?"

:bcb_mad2 I hate this one - because personally I feel like I have to lie. I don't think my BF likes the skinner me at all. Maybe I should just tell them - that might keep them from asking anymore questions!! :bcb_grin

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

Guest LivBean

To concur with Luanne, I would prefer someone to ask me how much weight I have lost rather than how much I have gained!!!!

I have to say, I'm proud of my weight loss, and I am just an open kind of person who doesn't mind sharing my number. I would never share what I actually WEIGH though.....let their imaginations take over. :bcb_grin

Ya, people ask me all the time how my fiance feels about my weight loss. Given we didn't get together until I was 25lbs down, but still. If it's a friend that's asking me it's all good, but co-workers who I barely know, ok that's rude. I'm right there too with not thinking my boyfriend like's the weight loss. He's supportive and helps me out, but he keeps telling me to stop before I lose my curves!!!!

Jen

One day at a time

I think what people really want to say is " I bet your husband is glad he doesn't have such a fat wife anymore!" or something along those lines. The tone of their voice says it all.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

I have been asked how much weight I have lost and then asked in the same sentence "well how much do you weigh now???". I think that is extremely rude. Asking how much weight I have lost is one thing but asking how much I weighed prior is too nosey.:bcb_mad2

Ugh my grandma always asks me how much I weigh right after I tell her how much I've lost. It makes me crazy!

~~~Aimee~~~

Started WW on 1/16/08 and took time off to have a baby in 2010

SW 285.6/Lowest weight 230.4/CW 255.4/Next goal 230

"If I was smarter than the program, I wouldn't need the program" ~CW

"Don't stuff your face, face your stuff!" ~Amy, the best leader EVER!

It depends who asks. If I have confided my plan with them, why not ask. Come to think of it, why aren't they being nice in asking? If I am not close to someone, I would be more likely to say "You are looking great." and wait for volunteered info.

But I have got to tell you, the professional board I am on had several members who said everything right and left but they cared and were so positive, there was never a wrong comment. At work people just say the same "You look look great" and that means "How much," "how did you do it," etc. and it is up to me to give the specifics. I think I am far enough along in life that people know to just say "Great job."

marge

SW: 206

GW: 146

CW: 166. 8:bcb_march

40#: 2/5; 45# 4/1; 50# 4/29

weight.png

I love it when people ask me how much weight I have lost!

It lets me know that my weight loss is noticeable, makes me feel confident that what I am doing is working, and usually it's people who want to lose some weight themselves and I am always more than happy to give advice and tips to help other people in the direction of feeling good about themselves.

WW Start Date - 7/15/08 (core)

SW - 139.8

GW - 125.0

Weigh Ins -

7/15 - 139.8 (start)

7/25 - 139.2

7/30 - 138.4

8/06 - 137.0

8/13 - 136.2

8/20 - 134.2

8/27 - 132.4

9/3 - 131.2

9/10 - 131.4

9/17 - Did not weight

9/25 - 131.6

Love Yourself!

But how do you respond when someone asks how much weight you've lost? Isn't weight a personal statistic? I mean, if I tell someone I lost 100lbs (I haven't!), then they can guess that I weighed a lot before...

For me it all depends on the person asking and the way they are asking. IMO this particular coworker was rude because she didn't let it go. And that whole "obviously more than a little" thing is astounding.:bcb_huh:

Laurie

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again. Maya Angelou

HW 274/SW 247/CW 194 :bcb_up

I live in the land of fake beauty (AKA Los Angeles) and weight issues are used as a weapon around here. No way would I tell anyone but my closest friends and family anything about how much I've lost or anything. Think the mean girls in junior high school and you will get the picture.

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

It really depends on the person and the situation, but when you think of it: Why would you need to know the exact number unless you are going to use if for some type of analysis? ( Yes, you lost weight, but HOW MUCH??? Yes, you did well, but HOW WELL????). Well meaning or not - the number has no real bearing. You noticed, thanks, lets move on.

Why the heck can't people just say congratulations?

Obviously I have a story behind this....:bcb_bigsm

~ Westie [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

weight.png

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”

- Chinese Proverb

Come to think of it, I've never really considered it, that is, whether the question is rude or not. At the same time, I don't think I've ever asked anyone that question. I have said things like, "You're looking great; have you lost weight?" when I've run into someone I haven't seen in a while who has lost weight. It's always been meant as a compliment, and I so hope it's always been taken that way.

Leigh

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HW 175/SW 169/CW 169/LW 151/GW 140

Ht: 5'9"

The worst question I have been presented is: " How the H... did you let yourself get that big!" That was a tough one. I had to think about it! at first I was angry and took me awhile to answer!

weight.png

CLICK

SW 437.4 SD 01/31/02 first time

HW 449.4 01/12/02

LW 238.4 07/29/04

Quit date 10/12/05

SW 318.0 SD 04/01/08 second time

PW 267.0 10/21/08

Guest Keldug

I dont have issue with this,I really think most people mean no harm when they ask-its almost automatic for some people-like when they ask, "Oh youre married.....have any kids??"

I have asked that question before several times and I doubt if I offended anyone,most times they have usually looked at me very proud(and rightfully so) and they tell me.I have told also and I dont mind one bit. But then again,Im a Hair Stylist I get all the good info,lol.:bcb_grin

My .02 - I really don't think people are intentionally being rude when they ask. However, I think people need to remember that when asking questions of others, you should as a general rule not ask about specific numbers in terms of age, weight and money.

I'm a bit old fashioned (even though I'm still rather young!), and I picked up this standard reply from my grandmother: "A lady never tells!" Usually this is paired with a chuckle and/or a wink, and the matter is almost always dropped.

I do discuss it with a couple of people: my boyfriend, my sister, you all, and a coworker who sits next to me and is also on Weight Watchers (My sister is too, actually). My coworker is the only person at work I talk to about it. Even when people say "Wow, you eat really healthy!" I just smile and say thank you and don't mention being trying to lose weight, even though the girls I eat with at lunch all know that my coworker is doing weight watchers.

weight.png