Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

A Memorable Eating "Experiment"!

OOOHHH!!! :bcb_yuck: I forgot and then when I tried, I kept going back to my old habits! :bcb_mad2 I think you are onto something and I am going to try until I succeed.:bcb_up I want to eat like her grandfather and be painfully thin.

:bcb_wink3:bcb_happy

I knew a guy who chewed every bite 50 times. (OCD?)

We flew from New York to Germany.

He had his tray in front of him for the whole trip. And I don't even think he had finished when he had landed...! :bcb_huh:

He was a skinny little thing, too. :bcb_smile:salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

The first time I ever did this was on the day in my Beck's journey that called for slow, mindful eating... I had a salad for lunch and ended up eating only half of it.... later, that evening, I had a bowl of popcorn for a snack and made a point of eating only 1 popped kernel at a time... took forever to finish the bowl (3TBS kernels, popped) and now I tend to eat it that way most of the time... For me, eating slowly and mindfully has pretty much become a habit. I do have meals with DH most of the time, but we relax over our meals, and they take a long time ... I prefer to eat less and be satisfied. But quite honestly I have NEVER had the sigh...

Lifetimer for life!

wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com

What did I learn about myself? So far I have leanred that I don't really know the menaing of the word "self-control" I have tried for breakfast and lunch :bcb_mad2 I kept forgetting, while I was eating and went back to my old habits. It is very frustrating, but I do believe that you have made me aware of theis and I am making it a personal goal to discipline myself to do this and one day, it will be a habit.

Well now. You have to report back and tell us what you learned about yourself. :bcb_smile It'll be interesting, for sure! :bcb_bigsm

Melissa :bcb_march Goal Getter Girl :bcb_bigsm

CW: 166.6 (need to get serious!!):bcb_huh:

What did I learn about myself? So far I have leanred that I don't really know the menaing of the word "self-control" I have tried for breakfast and lunch :bcb_mad2 I kept forgetting, while I was eating and went back to my old habits. It is very frustrating, but I do believe that you have made me aware of theis and I am making it a personal goal to discipline myself to do this and one day, it will be a habit.

If you're having trouble with it, Beck recommends setting a timer for every minute or so, to "remind" you what you are doing. :bcb_smile Also she said to put a Post-It by your plate, or use different flatware or dishes (last night I gave DH his salad in an 8-cup PYREX measuring cup! :bcb_up But that's because I was out of salad bowls.........LOL! :bcb_grin)

I'm going to make some popcorn. :bcb_smile It's fun to eat them one-at-a-time! :bcb_LOL:

As I reported the other day, it took me ages to sigh (40 mins), but when it came it was pretty obvious. I'm sure I sighed before, but just never paid much attention to it!

I make a point of putting down my fork after putting something into my mouth now, that way when I pick it up again I know what to do after the next bite (= put that darn fork down again!).

At the moment I'm really afraid to just stop eating when I'm full, because on Flex I need to get to my points target, right? That really conflicts with the slow and mindful eating only when I'm hungry. Wish WW Austria would offer a Core plan, I'm sure it would be so much easier!

weight.png

212/189.8/159 :bcb_march

Thanks for the ideas, they are good ones. I never realized just how undisciplined I am. I keep trying and I ultimately fail so I will need to buy a timer or use PostIts. It's funny that I can't do this, and VERY frustrating... However, I do portion everything, but I want to master this. I remember a girlfriend way back that ate like this and she was skinny, too. So there you go...

If you're having trouble with it, Beck recommends setting a timer for every minute or so, to "remind" you what you are doing. :bcb_smile Also she said to put a Post-It by your plate, or use different flatware or dishes (last night I gave DH his salad in an 8-cup PYREX measuring cup! :bcb_up But that's because I was out of salad bowls.........LOL! :bcb_grin)

I'm going to make some popcorn. :bcb_smile It's fun to eat them one-at-a-time! :bcb_LOL:

As I reported the other day, it took me ages to sigh (40 mins), but when it came it was pretty obvious. I'm sure I sighed before, but just never paid much attention to it!

I make a point of putting down my fork after putting something into my mouth now, that way when I pick it up again I know what to do after the next bite (= put that darn fork down again!).

At the moment I'm really afraid to just stop eating when I'm full, because on Flex I need to get to my points target, right? That really conflicts with the slow and mindful eating only when I'm hungry. Wish WW Austria would offer a Core plan, I'm sure it would be so much easier!

That sounds like a question for WW leader, Lynn.:salut:bcb_smile My opinion would be that Core is a program that works on it's own. It was fully researched, and it works! If you're on Core, you're not thinking "points" unless it's regarding non-Core foods (WAPs and APs).

If you're making sure you're getting your 8 Good Health Guidelines met daily, you're getting your points. :salut

Thanks for the ideas, they are good ones. I never realized just how undisciplined I am. I keep trying and I ultimately fail so I will need to buy a timer or use PostIts. It's funny that I can't do this, and VERY frustrating... However, I do portion everything, but I want to master this. I remember a girlfriend way back that ate like this and she was skinny, too. So there you go...

Just the fact that you're trying, and you've recognized it's difficult for you, AND you keep attacking the exercise, shows me lots of focus and effort! :bcb_smile You've had a lifetime of doing it another way. :bcb_smile If you're wanting to create a habit, it will take time and effort. Just enjoy the process~ :buddysmoo What would you say to a friend who was having trouble with this?...:bcb_smile

Sometimes I do well, and sometimes I notice I'm eating too fast. That's a definite improvement over being unaware. :salut

I did it, but only in one meal and I actually sighed. I had wondered why I never had to sigh before. It was kind of weird for me, in a good way.

So interesting. I'll have to try this at lunch - my breakfasts and dinners always have distractions b/c my kiddos are 2 and 3.75 years old. I'd be reeealllly skinny if I always ate slowly and only without distractions because I'd never get a chance to have a meal. Lol.

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

I did it, but only in one meal and I actually sighed. I had wondered why I never had to sigh before. It was kind of weird for me, in a good way.

It is weird! :bcb_bigsm

It's like reading about unicorns, and then all of a sudden you SEE one...:bcb_grin:bcb_up

I gotta ask... How many have YOU seen??????

I'm comparing the elusive sigh to the elusive unicorn...:bcb_up

(But I have felt The Sigh):bcb_happy

Tell me please what the sigh means.

Last season on Big brother there was a 47 year old former model. She was sort of a hard character but she was beautiful and svelte. One night she cooked her dinner and sat down to eat. I watched her cut a piece of chicken, put it in her mouth and put her fork down while she chewed.

It AMAZED me to watch her and that MUST be one reason she maintained her weight and figure. It took her forever to eat a small meal and the camera stayed on her the whole time because there was some drama going on at the same time. I learned so much watching her.

Peg

Peg, when you are eating, you reach a point where you need to take a deep breath/sigh...the reason is that your stomach is getting full and you are making more room...it has to do with your diaphram. Most of us never notice it. We just breeze past it. If we really pay attention, you will notice it and it is a good time to stop eating...before you are too full!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Thank you Lynn. Sure makes sense, if you do a deep breath or sigh your diaphragm drops down giving your stomach more room to expand with more food. If you catch the sigh and THINK about it you might realize you are satisfied and stop eating.

Tomorrow I am looking for the sigh. I think I don't eat enough to sigh. I am pretty satisfied with what I eat and never feel full. I'll give it a try.

Peg

I am too busy looking forward to the next bite. :bcb_grin It is more like a deep breath, or that is what I experienced anyways. Now my problem is being willing to throw the rest of my food away. I felt that deep breath with each meal yesterday BUT (always a big BUT) I couldn't throw the rest of ot away. Now, that is surprisingly hard for me. I still can't do the 40 minute meal though. I am still eating too quickly, though I am so very aware of it. I am thinking that I should make my portions much smaller and go from there...

Thank you Lynn. Sure makes sense, if you do a deep breath or sigh your diaphragm drops down giving your stomach more room to expand with more food. If you catch the sigh and THINK about it you might realize you are satisfied and stop eating.

Tomorrow I am looking for the sigh. I think I don't eat enough to sigh. I am pretty satisfied with what I eat and never feel full. I'll give it a try.Peg

It really is like Missilissa says: it's more like a deep intake of breath. :bcb_smile: And I'm looking forward to hear what you have to report. Go "extreme" with this. Eat like you're eating under water! :bcb_grin Or like you're in slow-mo...Like the Big Brother girl.:bcb_happy

I am too busy looking forward to the next bite. It is more like a deep breath, or that is what I experienced anyways. Now my problem is being willing to throw the rest of my food away. I felt that deep breath with each meal yesterday BUT (always a big BUT) I couldn't throw the rest of ot away. Now, that is surprisingly hard for me. I still can't do the 40 minute meal though. I am still eating too quickly, though I am so very aware of it. I am thinking that I should make my portions much smaller and go from there...

I'm so glad you brought this up. The thing that's obvious to me is the deep intake of breath, not the breath going out. :salut

And I HATE to throw food away! Well, I usually don't. I just put it in the fridge for "next time" hunger hits. Usually in 2-3 hours. If you're working, sometimes you have to eat past satisfaction in order to make it to break-time or quitting-time (when you'll be eating again). :bcb_smile

The GOOD thing is: I cannot eat a bite standing up anymore. YAY! LOL. I catch myself every time and make myself SIT before putting the bite in. :bcb_smile

And when I'm eating-with-others, it actually makes me more aware of my eating (because I'm noticing what they are doing, too). The hardest time is when I'm alone. I only have myself to compare myself to. :salut

I love this conversation! Thank you for refreshing my memory, and providing clarification regarding, the sigh. :)

As the mother of three children- ages 5, 3 and 4 months, I find myself racing through way too many meals.

And I really feel like I am too focused on eating as much as I can in as short of time possible.

Just reading this thread is motivating, I'm going to try hard to keep the key points in mind!!

Tara

High Preg Weight- 223

Start August '08- 208.2

Current- 199.0

Sept Goal- 194.0

Oct '09 Goal- 160

For my first time back to BCB in a L-O-N-G time, this was a GREAT first topic to read. I really needed this!

My dh has maintained his weight ever since I've known him...and is a slow deliberate eater. Not me.

But, this morning, as I sat here in front of the computer with my yogurt/wheatberry/fresh peach/black cherry/fiber one concoction, I realized that I was just SHOVELING it into my mouth. (It tastes SOOOOOOOOOO good....)

So, I stopped. I got into the rhythm of trying to do one chew per second. I felt the huge intake of breath......mind you, I had snarfed about half the bowl already....after several slow, deliberate chews.

However, I am having a problem with leaving the food in the bowl. I think I will make it tomorrow like I usually do, half it, then put my cereal on it and chew it slowly and deliberately.

Thank you Carol, for this wonderful experiment and results reporting. Thanks to everyone else (lots of newbies, I see!) for reporting your progress.

And, I'm working my way back down to goal again...:bcb_mad2

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD

That's a great plan, Penny!

Good to see you again~ :buddysmoo

Looking forward to hearing how it all works out~ :wave:

Guest LostTeacher

so i'm eating my breakfast this morning. even though i am eating with distraction, i am eating more mindfully, and taking my time.

i am eating my usual core breakfast, although because i am doing a bit of flex right now, it's a tad different.

1 cup of 1% milk, 1/3 cup of 1% cottage cheese, and 1 cup of strawberries.

so as i am eating, i am putting my bowl and spoon down between bites. i am chewing slowly, and enjoying the textures and the flavours.

and i get the sigh!!!!

and i still probably have a quarter of my cottage cheese and 1/3 cup of strawberries left. but i stopped anyway, assessed the situation, and actually feel quite comfortably full. so i am not going to eat anymore.

now i don't know how to count my breakfast! lol!

LT

so i'm eating my breakfast this morning. even though i am eating with distraction, i am eating more mindfully, and taking my time.

i am eating my usual core breakfast, although because i am doing a bit of flex right now, it's a tad different.

1 cup of 1% milk, 1/3 cup of 1% cottage cheese, and 1 cup of strawberries.

so as i am eating, i am putting my bowl and spoon down between bites. i am chewing slowly, and enjoying the textures and the flavours.

and i get the sigh!!!!

and i still probably have a quarter of my cottage cheese and 1/3 cup of strawberries left. but i stopped anyway, assessed the situation, and actually feel quite comfortably full. so i am not going to eat anymore.

now i don't know how to count my breakfast! lol!LT

WOO-HOO, LT! :salut:bcb_grin

I'm sure you'll figure out your points...:bcb_up But with Core, I just put it in the fridge for later...:salut

This is a great thread! I'm so happy that so many virgins are experiencing their first "sigh"...LOL! :bcb_bravo The first of many, we hope! :bcb_happy

I have always been a fast eater, always the first one done since I was a kid.

Well yesterday I had 3 cups of salad with roasted beets and 3 ounces of tuna.

I took me 34 minutes. I tried to chew every bite atleast 30 times.

I felt so much fuller. I also felt calmer with out all the distractions.

No depressing news at noon or awful newspaper stories.

What a great thread.

I am going to try to eat like this all the time.

Maria

I have become so aware of my eating, however, I still haven't mastered (or come close) to that moment where I am enjoying the textures and flavors. I am still trying to pace myself or at least count a second per bite. It's hard where you're used to plowing through...:bcb_grin