Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

A Memorable Eating "Experiment"!

Congratulations for trying this experiment, Maria and Melissa. :salut :wave:

Maybe you'll be known as "formerly fast eaters"...:bcb_up LOL.

Melissa, are you feeling anxious slowing down?...

Have you tried eating something like wheat berries or spelt or hulled barley or brown rice? Some kind of whole grain that really lets you chew-chew-chew?...That's when I just really "relax" and zone-out and appreciate textures/tastes/etc.:bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Formerly fast eater reporting in......

Dividing my morning yummy breakfast is REALLY working! I end up having a nice snack later in the day...or dessert!

For some reason, I am chewing more slowly at breakfast....I was very hungry yesterday at supper (had not eaten lunch but wasn't terribly hungry) so I know I ate way too fast.

I am doing so much better on putting the spoon down and counting my chews with breakfast, too.

Baby steps....

P.S. The cooked wheatberries in my mix make it so much FUN to chew!

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD

Formerly fast eater reporting in......

Dividing my morning yummy breakfast is REALLY working! I end up having a nice snack later in the day...or dessert!

For some reason, I am chewing more slowly at breakfast....I was very hungry yesterday at supper (had not eaten lunch but wasn't terribly hungry) so I know I ate way too fast.

I am doing so much better on putting the spoon down and counting my chews with breakfast, too.

Baby steps....

P.S. The cooked wheatberries in my mix make it so much FUN to chew!

Great news, Penny! :bcb_bigsm

I really think we were meant to chew. That's what we've got all those big beautiful TEETH for!...They're actually functional. :bcb_up LOL.

And when you think about it: how it takes 20 minutes before you even realize you're satisfied (more-or-less, not perfectly :bcb_up), it seems like you need at least 20 minutes in before you can make a determination.:salut

And that can be a lot of extra (unnecessary) calories consumed, if eaten too fast...:bcb_cry:

I don't always eat slowly. But I do recognize now when I'm not eating slowly. That's progress! :salut:bcb_happy

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

This is a very interesting thread. I have been trying to eat slower and I like some of this info. But I have read it through and am not sure what the "sigh" is supposed be. Could someone please explain? Thanks.

I've been experimenting with this process. I became a speed eater after my first was born. Had to suck it down when I could right? :bcb_grin Problem is, she's now 28 & I've never gone back to the slowly savoring eating process. I've been (mostly successfully) chewing, rather than just tasting & swallowing (which is what I must have been doing previously). What a difference!

I do notice that if I'm ravenous, I tend to forget to be conscious of how I'm eating. It's worse in the afternoon. I tend to get home from work (around 4) and start grazing. I've begun having an apple to enjoy on drive home, a nice crisp Pink Lady apple. I put it down between bites (hehe to wipe the juice mostly) and it lasts me the 15 minute drive. By the time I'm home, I can get some things done before needing to eat. Later, I can prepare supper without the sampling. I'm very pleased & excited about the changes.

WW Join Date: 4-28-08

100+ to go

Taking it 5 lbs at a time!

"The reason to be positive is that it's the ONLY way to move forward."

weight.png

I started eating too fast out of necessity in college as I would often have 30 min. to go through lunch line, eat and get to class on time. Whew, makes me tired just thinking about it. When I first read Beck I was working and making progress on eating slowly and then got away from it. I need to be working on this.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

YES, I am anxious!

I have only eaten brown rice for many years now, but I am still in the habit of "getting it over with" I constantly forget about pacing and remind myself as I am eating and then ... Viola! I am rushing through it again, and then I remind my self to pace myself and Viola! I am rushing through again. Actually, it's quite funny but I am still going to try this until I reach that goal of pacing myself. Right now, I am being trated for a gallbladder attack so I am not really OP as much as I could be...

Melissa, are you feeling anxious slowing down?...

Melissa :bcb_march Goal Getter Girl :bcb_bigsm

CW: 166.6 (need to get serious!!):bcb_huh: