Health Discovery Network
jmhenry

AWESOME Barley recipe

This recipe is soooooo delicious. If you've never tried barley I highly recommend it, I love the chewy texture.

From allrecipes.com

Onion Barley Casserole

SUBMITTED BY: Elaine Kremenak

"MY HUSBAND and I grew up on plain hearty foods, and we both learned early on that simple food, well prepared, maintains good health. I always felt I was giving my family the best when I prepared this dish. They loved the nutty flavor and chewy texture of the barley, and it was a delicious departure from rice as a side dish. --Elaine Kremenak Grants Pass, Oregon"

PREP TIME 10 Min

COOK TIME 40 Min

READY IN 50 Min

2 servings

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup barley

1 tablespoon cooking oil

1 1/2 cups water

1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup sliced green onions

1 (4 ounce) can whole button mushrooms, drained

DIRECTIONS

In an ovenproof skillet, saute barley in oil until golden brown. Stir in water, bouillon and salt; bring to boil. Remove from the heat; add onions and mushrooms. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes or until barley is tender.

note: I cooked mine for 40 minutes and it was good, any longer and mine would have been overcooked.

Thank you for posting this recipe....I am very interested in learning how to cook healthy grains that taste good!

Jacque

"Be passionate enough to succeed......"

David Cottrell

:bcb_march:bcb_march

152/150/142

Will be trying this tomorrow night, will report back! :salut

JK